GUN Round identification

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by Soren, Jan 30, 2005.

1. Soren

Soren OT Supporter

The whole thing is about an inch long. There is an inscription on the back end of the casing (the round part where you would rest it on a table with the bullet facing up)... ".38 SPL Federal". The bullet part (the cone) is darker... and its kind of semi-soft, pretty solid but you can scratch stuff in it with a fingernail. The tip isn't a point, it's flat.

Anyone know what this is?

2. eWRXshun

eWRXshun hai

sounds like a .38 special made by federal?

[​IMG]

does it look like the one on the left? one on the right is .22lr for comparison.

is the casing silver coloured? is the actual bullet copper jacketed until the soft "conical" part? if so, its probably federal hi-shok JSP (jacketed soft point) 125gr.

3. Goat

Goat That crack is really moreish

4. Vermincelli

Vermincelli Banned

.38 special wadcutter or semi wadcutter. if if looks like this, its the semi, if it's completely flat across the end of the case, it's the wadcutter.

[​IMG]

5. Soren

Soren OT Supporter

looks exactly like that... thanks. why is it soft though? Just the texture of the material? And what are these rounds used for? I guess a pointed tip would mean better penetration, so is this for damage against unarmored targets or something else?

And 38's are revolvers im pretty sure... what does the SPL mean? Is this bullet made for a specific type of handgun?

6. Vermincelli

Vermincelli Banned

The bullet is lead.
    SWC was the standard design before hollowpoints became more common. It allowed the bullet to mushroom on impact. They are still used in .38s.
    yes the .38 caliber is a revolver round and SPL is short for special. Nothing special about it though. the full term for the common .38 round is .38 special, like the .44 magnum.

7. eWRXshun

eWRXshun hai

i thought wadcutters were originally used in pistols and airguns for punching clean holes through paper for easier scoring?

8. Vermincelli

Vermincelli Banned

The full wadcutter was if I remember right. Created by the army for marksmanship. Since a revolver doesn't have to worry about a feedramp, they could use a flat bullet design.