MIL Rotc

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by haargerman, Mar 21, 2006.

1. haargerman

haargerman ayuh.

Has anyone gone through, or is currently in ROTC?

I'm considering it, specifically the Air Force. Is there any one branch that might be better than the other? Pay and etc?

What are the requirements for service after graduation?

Does anyone know how much money I might get to help pay for tuition and etc?

Just looking for some primary sources here.
    Thanks

2. Immortal1

Immortal1 New Member

I'm currently in the ROTC. I'm on a 3 yr Army scholarship. As far as training goes here, at Norwich University, AF training is kinda weak compared to the Army's training and events.

AF is a great branch however. Best living conditions and probably working conditions of any branch.

As far as requirements go, I have to serve for 8 yrs, 4 of those active, 4 reserve. Tuition, if you get a scholarship, should just about all be covered. I think I'm short by $1500 a year.

3. Insdav3

Insdav3 Guest

Your best bet would be to see a recruiter

4. haargerman

haargerman ayuh.

Yeah, if I could find an Air Force recruiter near me..

I think the closest is about an hour away. Thats quite a drive just to be given a sales pitch.

5. Immortal1

Immortal1 New Member

A recruiter is likely not give you the full low down on ROTC. He doesn't fufill his job by sending you to college

6. pew pew pew

pew pew pew OT Supporter

ask ozner, he seems to have the lowdown on recruiting here :mamoru:

7. ManinCamo

ManinCamo I wear big boy pants.

I went through 4 1/2 years of Air Force ROTC, ask away.

A recruiter isn't going to know much.

search for ROTC or my old posts in here also.

Pay is the same except you'll promote faster with the Army.

Commitment is 8 years - 4 active, 4 reserve. Or any combination of Active/Reserve as long as it includes at least 4 yearsa active. All branches the same as far as I know.

Money, lots of types of scholarships. How are your grades? Are you in high school? in college? What are you/planning on studying in college?

8. haargerman

haargerman ayuh.

Im currently in High School, graduating in June.
    Current GPA is about 3.2 and about 90th out of about 300 in my class.
    I plan on majoring in Information Systems (IT type stuff)

Does anyone have a link to the payscale? Im thinking I would probably make more money out of college in a civilian job than the Air Force, and even though I might gain expierience in the Air Force, a lot of companies could care less that you were in the military.

9. Morton

Morton New Member

As far as which ROTC branch is better, that is a matter of prefferance and location. I am in Army ROTC at a relativly small school, so we are a very close knit group. It changes from school to school, but where I go, the Army is much more laid back than the Air Force (as in the Air Force does nothing but Dress and Ceremony).

As far as the pay, you will not make as much money in the military as you would a civilian. Most people don't join the military to become rich. But, with the ROTC scholarship (plus another academic one) I will have my four years of college payed for without having to pay back any loans.

10. ManinCamo

payscale, google it - come on we can't walk you through life :mamoru:

Contact the ROTC detachment at the school you will be attending college at and talk to the UAO - Unit Admissions Officer about scholarships and whatnot, ask about the 4 year scholarship(very competitive) also (it may be too late for that, you have to have it straight out of high school IIRC)

I have my degree in ISOM, Info Sys & Ops Mgmt.

If your in it to make money, you may be able to make more money in the civilian sector, however after base pay, and BAH and BAS, I get about $40k a year, plus cheaper cost of living in general.

Many companies do care about prior service, and your work experience in the service. Phrase stuff you don't know in the form of a question, not a statement ;)

11. SweetDaddyO

SweetDaddyO we need a montage!!

i did AFROTC at the university of maryland

i'm not going to pretend i know the scholarship details and such since that stuff changes all the time and i've been out of school for about 3 years now, but i will say that it was a great experience, i don't regret any of it, and i have a challenging, fun, and unique job now.

all i can say for sure is talk to the detachments directly - DO NOT try to get all your info from a recruiter - they spend most of their time trying to get you to reconsider college and enlist.

also, i can speak from personal experience that some companies regard military officer service very highly. one CEO i talked (at a software/solutions co.) told me he would rather have an employee with a bachelor's degree and four years experience as an officer than an employee with a masters.

12. haargerman

haargerman ayuh.

Ive contacted the UAO at Boston University where I would most likely attend ROTC classes..hopefully she will get back to me.

Manin - How long have you been active duty?

13. ManinCamo

about 3 1/2 monthes

14. SweetDaddyO

i visited BU's ROTC program in high school before i decided to attend UMD. BU had a great program at the time, and offered me a tremendous amount of tuition assistance above and beyond what my ROTC scholarship was going to pay me.

again the scholarship stuff changes all the time, but like i said at the time it seemed to be a really good detachment, and it had nothing to do with my decision not to attend BU.

15. ManinCamo

I'm going to be honest with you, Officer selection in the Air Force is very competitive right now. Because of this, they're not giving out as many scholarships as they used to. They're actively cutting LT's from the force right now. Without a 'technical degree' (IS is not a tech degree according to AF guildlines) it will be even harder to get through.

16. haargerman

haargerman ayuh.

How can IS NOT be considered a technical degree!? That's absurd!

17. FalconXtreme

FalconXtreme w3rd

i'm in AFROTC right now i'm a 200(sophmore) and i'm about to be going to field training this summer. if you were to major in computer science instead of IS u could have some really cool opportunities. i'm a CS major btw

18. ManinCamo

You're thinking of technical as related to computers.

AF is using something closer to "[SIZE=-1]of or relating to proficiency in a practical skill"[/SIZE]

Technical in the AF's mind are degrees such as Electrical Engineer - Aeronautical Engineer - Meteorology - Astronautical Engineer - Computer Engineer - Mechanical Engineer

19. haargerman

haargerman ayuh.

I seee. I don't know, I got an email from the Captain to visit the DET at Boston University.

All I want to know is how much money I could *possibly* get with my grades. Its sad to say, but im only in it for the money.

20. idesofmarch

idesofmarch New Member

Exactly the degrees I'm looking into. Although I doubt I'd be able to get an AFROTC scholarship with only a 3.0 gpa and only two extra-curriculars. Although I am just about to become an Eagle Scout do you think that would help me out at all? Assuming I brought my grades up and stuff. I need to get my act together.

21. SweetDaddyO

then get out now. you'll be hating life once you commission with your free degree and it's time to pay the piper.

22. ManinCamo

with a solid 3.0, you'll be fine. They don't really care about the other stuff, including Eagle ( I know, I'm an Eagle Scout)

23. ManinCamo

You're in it for the money... interesting. You do realize that you'll be government property, no?

Well, for active duty, you can google the pay charts.
    as a cadet, if your contracted/scholarship - freshman receive 250/m stipend. it goes up $50 each year till after 4 when they stop paying at all. Several types of scholarships, most common is $3000/y for 2 years.

You'll wash out, no worries.

24. haargerman

haargerman ayuh.

[Sarcasm] I love the encouragement I get from you guys. [/Sarcasm]

However, If what you are saying is true, $12,000 is not enough for the government to buy my life for 4 to 8 years.

EDIT - I've been doing a little more research and Ive found that if I have a 2.5 GPA or higher I can qualify for a $15,000 a year, with the monthly stipend..only if I've been contracted. THIS is what I would want..I have absolutly no problem with serving our country for 4 years if I don't have $60,000+ in student loan DEBT.

The military has always been an option from me (Coming from a family who over 5+ close relatives have either served in the Army, Navy or Marines), however I've always brushed it aside because I wanted to be the first to recieve a bachelors degree.

Manin - If you don't mind me asking, what is your current MOS? And be honest, what was the worst part of ROTC?

Thanks, I appreciate it.

Last edited: Mar 23, 2006
  25. SweetDaddyO

qualify != recieve

when i went through ROTC (99-03), it was fairly easy to recieve the POC incentive scholarship just by volunteering. the 4 year full-rides were still hard to come by. i myself received a 3-year scholarship topped at $15K/year out of high school, targeted for comp sci. when i failed out of that major, i lost the scholarship but later received a commanders' scholarship that covered 2.5 years, full cost.

things are totally different now. people i know in ROTC now tell me that the only people receiving scholarships of any kind are engineers and other "in-demand" majors, with very good grades and PFT scores.

for the record, i commissioned in 2003. I'm a 1Lt (O-2) with 3 years in - and my info is already outdated. As far my job goes, I'm a B-1B navigator.

as far as the "worst part of ROTC" - i guess it was the fact that getting up at 4AM wasn't really conducive to a college student's schedule. however, it was only once or twice a week, so it wasn't too bad.