MIL ROTC Questions

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by The Militant, Nov 8, 2007.

1. The Militant

The Militant THE FUTURE

I need some info on contracting and such. I'd ask my recruiter but after I enlisted just as expected he makes it hard to get any info about anything from him.

I am a reservist and still a high school senior. I graduate in January and leave for basic in February (thats the plan) with my MOS my AIT is short so I should return in August.

So depending on how much the scholarships from ROTC cover I will try and contract as I apply to schools.

My questions are how much does ROTC usually cover? Say my school is 30k a year how much would ROTC cover from that if I got the 4 year scholarship. Also I know my 20k bonus would be no longer if I contracted before I left for basic and returned for my first weekend to get at least 10k. My bonuses include 20k, 20K loan, and 350 GI kicker, do the loan and gi kicker go void once I contract as well?

2. Easiest answer is it depends on your contract. I have the 2 year contract paying in full, also get my 450 monthly stipend. It depends on the school you go to also. I know people at Johns Hopkins getting all 4 years paid for, and that is some $$$$$$.

3. The Militant

The Militant THE FUTURE

I wanna go somewhere like URI, I have to go up to MEPS again to have my date for basic sooner so I'll ask them then I guess. I just don't know if its smarter to take 10K plus 650/m from the GI bill and 3k from the loan repayment for the first year over doing ROTC and trying my luck with what their contract will offer.

4. I don't know your situation but if I had college in mind and ROTC I wouldn't enlist.