MIL ROTC Question

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by Changed, Jan 29, 2006.

1. Changed

Changed Guest

I will have 60 college credits after this semester (community college) and I plan on transfering (as a sophmore) to a 4 year University that offers ROTC courses. Am I going to be able to complete the courses in 2 years and come out as an 0-1 :dunno:

edit: On a side note, I have been seriously considering making a career out of the military. Both of my grandfathers served. My mothers father was a Captain on Omaha Beach, D-Day... and my father's dad was in the Air-Force. My parents have been fairly succesful in their civilian lives, so I feel like if I'm going to join the military it needs to be as an officer. And of course I'm not choosing the path of officer just for them...

2. Changed

Changed Guest

yeah I knew that. I was just wondering if its actually possible to complete the program in 2 years

3. SweetDaddyO

SweetDaddyO we need a montage!!

which branch? the air force has a 2 year ROTC program - i would suggest going to the ROTC offices and talking to them about it.

i would also say don't start thinking "career military" off the bat - that's not the kind of decision you can make, or should make, without ever wearing the uniform.

4. Nixstress

Nixstress Look at me! I am edgy and stabby! OT Supporter

Yes

Keep in mind though that just because you have 60 college credits does not mean that all of them will apply to your major or even transfer. It may take you longer than 4 years to get your degree.

5. Changed

Changed Guest

Yeah, I also realized that. Its tough to make a decision without no experience whatsoever

6. Nixstress

I realize this, my comment was merely pointing out the fact that although he has 60 credits they may not all apply for him to graduate.

7. Nixstress

I had not heard of training the summer before your junior year, that must be dependent on the school's ROTC program. At A&M our summer training program was the summer before our senior year and it was in Ft. Lewis, Washington. You didn't have to declare whether you are D&C or in the warrior program until your junior year and therefore there was no training the summers prior.

8. Changed

Changed Guest

Are guys in ROTC genereally looked down upon :dunno:

9. Nixstress

Again it really depends on your school. This was not the case at the school I went to and it was actually quite the opposite.

10. Changed

Changed Guest

What about after you got out? Do people give you shit for going to ROTC route instead of OCS or enlisting?

11. Nixstress

That will depend on the individual. If you go into your new company with a holier than thou attitude simply because you are an officer you will not get far nor will you earn anyone's respect.

12. Changed

Changed Guest

:wavey:

13. ManinCamo

ManinCamo I wear big boy pants.

Ok, I've actually gone through Air Force ROTC. There's a lot of uninformation here.

Here's the scoop on Air Force ROTC.

What's your major? Unless you're engineering, Nursing, or computer science, it's going to be VERY VERY difficult to get in, ESPECIALLY in the two year program. Because the Air Force is 'force shaping' right now, cutting more then 40,000 from the ranks, its getting to a point where if you don't have exactly what they want as a major, then they won't take you. 5-6 years ago they were pushing officers through left and right. If you had two legs, and at least once working arm they would push you through the officer machine. Starting about 3-4 years ago they starting trimming the ranks. I saw half a dozen well qualified cadets get booted from the program for one stupid reason or another even after they contracted (signed on, signed in, getting paid and in the AF personell computers as 'will be an officer on this date in the future). I got contracted right at the start of when things started to get tight because my ROTC instructor really pushed for me because of my determination and the full squeeze hadn't started yet.

Let me put this another way. I'm in a course that new Lt's take. In my flight of 14 people, we have 3 Academy guys. Within the remaining 11 we have 8 engineers -- EIGHT! 3 or 4 are recent OTS accessions(college graduates who when through a 3 month of officer training), the others are ROTC who were picked up b/c of their engineering degrees.

You can take the classes and go to PT all you want, however unless you're 'contracted' (ie: picked up and getting paid and on the track to commissioning) then you're just another student taking classes. You're on whats called 'Special Student Status'.

Now about this 'officer basic training' Its called Field Training. If you're in the 4 year program, you go to 4 weeks of training. If you do anything less, then its 6 weeks of training. For me it was 4 weeks of 24/7 training. Only time off was two hours each Sunday for church while those who didn't go to church did everyone's laundry and cleaned the bays. Mentally and physically challenging and draining. Those prior enlisted who were going through ROTC said Field Training was harder both physically and mentally than basic.

For Army ROTC - they'll take you. I could have switched over at any point up to the day I commissioned in the Air Force. Beyond that, if you have any specific questions I can find out - I have several friends who went through Army ROTC

14. Changed

Changed Guest

I was thinking more along the lines of Army ROTC... I havent decided whether I should do Army ROTC in college or complete my bachelors degree and try to complete Marine OCS.

15. MumblingJoe169

MumblingJoe169 New Member

im in army rotc right now, and was enlisted for 5 years.
    If you are interested in army rotc, just direct some questions my way

16. ManinCamo

ManinCamo I wear big boy pants.

This man is your best source of information. Listen to what he says. Unless its wrong. ;)

17. Changed

Changed Guest

When you entered the program were you allready a natural leader?

18. Nixstress

I've seen people go through Army ROTC and turn down their commission upon graduation in order to enlist in the Army. You can always try it out and if it's not for you try for the Marine OCS route.

19. Changed

Changed Guest

good point.

20. nadahonda

nadahonda Member

Shit load of wrong information in here. I did the same thing with 65 credit hours

If you transfer in with two years remaining you will have to attend LTC (Leader's Training Course) at Fort Knox Ky. 4 weeks. ALL COLLEGE'S SEND THERE CADETS HERE if they want to commission in 2 years. It's not for specifice colleges.
    http://www.goarmy.com/rotc/leaders_training.jsp

If you are planning on enrolling in next Fall. Then apply now so you can attend this summer.

LTC is designed to catch you up on ROTC and you will get credit for the Military Science classes that you missed. If your not sure if the Army is your lifestyle, LTC will definately help you decide as it is very similar to Basic training just a whole lot shorter. You will live in the barracks with Drill Sergeant's, the first night we got there we got 2.5 hours of sleep before first call for the next day. But they are only in full "red phase" mode for the first half of LTC. We did just about everything privates do, the only thing we didn't do was the gas chamber. But towards the end we got to do some "fun" stuff that privates don't do.

Unlike basic, all we did was train, never had to iron our BDU's. You just had to keep your boots black. Never had wall locker inspection's. But everything else had to be squared away like your bunk, latrine, rest of the bay etc. But all the training was rushed, you don't spend time rehearsing what you learned. Like when we did BRM (rifle qualification) privates get a whole week to practice before they actually qualify, we got one day to group and zero our weapon, and then we qaulified the next day so only about 7-9 cadets actually qaulified out of about 200. It was definately an experience, if you have any more questions about it just ask.

Then your junior/senior summer you will attend LDAC or "Warrior Forge" which is where I'm headed this summer. EVERYBODY has to attend LDAC in order to commission. From what I have seen and heard it is very similiar to LTC just longer and alot more evaluation on your leadership skills. How good you do at LDAC and your GPA will determine what branch you get.

Any more questions just ask. I'm in the thick of cadet land right now.

21. nametaken158

nametaken158 Moderated by Supper Banners

Marines have an ROTC program too, although not at every college. It's a sub-division of Naval ROTC. I'm not sure if that's something you'd be interested in or not, but I thought I'd let you know just because a lot of people see that Army, Air Force, and Naval ROTC is offered at a school, and figure they don't have a Marine program.

I'm an AF Cadet right now going through FTP (field training preperation) which is an extremely intense training program (school specific...many schools don't have one) that's supposed to get you ready for Field Training, which I'll be going to for 4 weeks this summer. Basically all of what ManinCammo said sounds about right, and being an Lt. whose gone through the program, he can probably tell you anything you need to know. But, I'll be happy to handle any questions too from a slightly different perspective.

BTW, the cutting back of the officers is very true, but I was denied a scholarship after I graduated from high school and went into the ROTC program anyway and picked one up between my freshman and sophmore years, meaning I'm now contracted, have applied for my security clearance, and will become an officer as long as I do well at Field Training and continue to perform. I am an engineering major, but I know non-tech kids that did the same thing. If you give it your all and adapt to training well, they'll try to keep you.

22. burton564

burton564 New Member

At your school you might not get looked down upon. But i'm gonna tell you right now when you go visit a base as a cadet everyone will hate you. Do you honestly think that i enjoy saluting a 18 year old college freshman who wears a spot. I despise cadets for this reason and this reason alone, they think they know the military and they really have no idea.

23. nadahonda

nadahonda Member

:ugh: I've never heard or seen any service member saluting a cadet.

24. burton564

burton564 New Member

Anytime they come for a visit we get a lecture on how we have to or its our ass. I am a warrant and i still have to treat them as a commisioned officer, and you know i really dont like it.

25. nadahonda

nadahonda Member

That is crazy. I highly doubt the military instructers salute them. I would not play along with that game. It's probably some shitty community college too.