MIL ROTC help

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by SuperMaWiiOH, Jan 4, 2008.

1. SuperMaWiiOH

SuperMaWiiOH New Member

I'm trying to figure out about joining the Army Reserve and then joining Army ROTC. I've read about the SMP but I don't really understand this...

The Simultaneous Membership Program (SMP) offers a unique opportunity for college students who are members of the Army Reserve or Army National Guard to gain valuable insights and leadership experiences.

The Simultaneous Membership Program (SMP) enables selected enlisted members of the U.S. Army Reserve or National Guard to participate in the Army ROTC Advanced Course. Being an SMP cadet allows you to earn your drill pay at the rate of an E-5, while serving as an understudy with a unit officer and performing many of the duties of an officer. You'll continue to be eligible for the Montgomery GI Bill benefits with an enhanced kicker. As an Advance Course cadet, you'll earn the ROTC (tax-free) stipend in addition to your pay and benefits from your unit.

Cadets who complete the SMP program can earn a commission and serve on Active Duty or in the U.S. Army Reserve or National Guard. If a cadet knows that he or she wants to continue an affiliation with the Reserve or National Guard that cadet may request the Guaranteed Reserve Forces Duty (GRFD) option at the time of contracting.

...How much of college would the reserves pay for? Could I still be deployed while in ROTC? How would my ROTC status differ from a ROTC student who is not in the reserves? Can any major be chosen?

2. nolecdt

nolecdt New Member

Any major can be chosen. You would get the GI Bill, and yes you can still be deployed if you are not a contracted cadet. The only difference between an SMP cadet and a regular cadet is that you drill with your unit along with your ROTC obligations, and the possibiility still exists that you can be deployed if you are not contracted with ROTC.

3. The Militant

The Militant THE FUTURE

Correct, you can also opt out of the contract if you want to get deployed and you are under contract.

You will not receive your bonus from the reserves or national guard.

This is the road I took, I'm leaving for basic in like a month and start college in the fall.

4. SuperMaWiiOH

SuperMaWiiOH New Member

What does a contracted cadet mean? I thought the Army had a program where you can't be deployed if you are in school? I forget the name, I could look it up. So by using the G.I. bill I would basically have my tuition payed for, am I correct? I'm not fully understanding the SMP thing. If I have no or little college credits, I start out as a freshman right? I would go to classes like any normal ROTC cadet right? I'm prior service E-3 am I eligible?

5. SuperMaWiiOH

SuperMaWiiOH New Member

6. MrRyan

MrRyan Gary Johnson 2016 OT Supporter

Be patient young padowan ...someone with more experience with this will be along shortly. I barely remember college, let alone the program and I'll try to help as much as possible till that smarter person gets here.

Yup - in your third year, all cadets will contract. This essentially means that play time is over and it's time for you to committ to the Army / Military. It's at this time, that you're no longer deployable and belong to ROTC for the direct intent of commissioning you into the Army after graduation.

7. Immortal1

Immortal1 New Member

you can contract during your first year as far as i know. i was contracted after my freshman year. however, this was for AD, i'm not sure if it differs for those doing SMP

8. MrRyan

MrRyan Gary Johnson 2016 OT Supporter

the ones that contract in the first / second year are the scholarship cadets

9. drklrdbill

drklrdbill Pimp

You start out as a freshman / MS1. You are eligible as an enlisted soldier. I would recommend applying for the program and attempting to get the ROTC scholarship. Also ask if you can use the GI Bill with an ROTC Scholarship, I'm not sure about that.

10. SuperMaWiiOH

SuperMaWiiOH New Member

I talked to someone from the ROTC program at the college and they told me to give them my transcripts from CCAF and I would be considered a transfer student. I was told to go to WTC and AIT, come back and be in ROTC. Until I have 30 credits I won't be on ROTC contract and am still able to be deployed. Once I reach 30 credits I will be a true SMP cadet and non-deployable because I'll be on contract. My wife and me would live in an apartment close to campus and once I am SMP I will receive a stipend per month of $350 for a sophmore, I'll receive E-5 pay and I'll have money from tuition assistance and MGIB and maybe the MGIB kicker.

11. SpiralFuelie

SpiralFuelie New Member

Yes, you can use your GI bill and be on scholarship.

12. SuperMaWiiOH

SuperMaWiiOH New Member

How do you qualify for the scholarship? Does anyone know about the ECS program? http://www.goarmy.com/reserve/nps/ecs.jsp

I ask because in ROTC you have to be a sophomore before you can be an SMP and be non-deployable. I don't wanna take a risk of being deployed while I'm in ROTC (close to being sophomore).

13. SuperMaWiiOH

SuperMaWiiOH New Member

So from my understanding you need a 50 or higher on the ASVAB to qualify for the MGIB-SR. You also need a certain MOS to get the kicker. Tuition Assistance does not pay for your college but for $4,500 worth per year. The rest of your college money must come from MGIB and if you have a certain MOS the kicker too I assume?

http://www.army.com/enlist/reserve-education.html

Is what that site says correct?

14. NisAznMonk

NisAznMonk New Member

Thats odd that you need a specific MOS to get the MGIB Kicker. For the active duty side of things all you have to do is pay an additional $600 before you separate.