rotator cuff

Discussion in 'Fitness & Nutrition' started by k624ash, Jun 9, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. k624ash

k624ash New Member

I think i may have injured my rotator cuff, i felt a pain in my shoulder when i was benching last monday and then a few days later it started to hurt. I was hoping it was just sore but its still bothering me. Most of the time the shoulder feels pretty normal, maybe just a little iratated, but if i move it a certain way, like raising it up to the front and side a bit, i get a sharper pain.

I guess ill just try and rest it for a while, but once it stops hurting do you guys know any good exercises or something so i can prevent this from happening again?

Rotator cuff problems are common in my family, so it really worries me.

2. k624ash

k624ash New Member

i just went for a run and it hurts worse, i cant even run, FML

3. Frazz

Frazz New Member

could be rotator yes, but also sounds like possibly labrum, which is cartalidge that is often injured along side the rotator cuff, sometimes on its own though.

Rest it for a while and do some light rehab like front/side raises, low weight shoulder press, rotator cuff excersices adn whatnot. if its still bothering you as much after a few weeks of rest and a few weeks of rehan go see a doc.

i know its not what ya wanna hear but it is your shoulder and in the end its prolly best to have it looked at... i had shoulder issues a while back and had torn bicep, torn rotator cuff and torn labrum. I got 2 screws put in and freaked out when i heard recovery time was over a year, but 18 months post surgery im bigger and stronger than ever :wiggle:

4. Bodhi

Bodhi My crotch is red .. my lambos blue .. and ill be g

injured my rotator playin' ball .. knew a kid who tore it .. couldnt pick up a ball EVarrrrrr .. another who strained it .. can't throw more than an inning or two now ..

.. you'd feel it .. its not a fun thing ..

5. djfir0

djfir0 ___________ OT Supporter

here's a few tests to see if it is your rotator cuff.. its composed of supraspinatus (0-15 degrees of shoulder raise), infraspinatus (lateral rotator of arm), teres minor (also lat rotator) and subscapularus (medial rotator of arm), have someone apply resistance to each of these motions and if you can't do them as well as your good arm, high chance its rotator cuff.

if its labrum, you'll have joint instability, as in your joint willl feel like its about to come out of place with, usually overhead movements in a downward motion, if its the anterior labrum that is....

if it is your rotator cuff... do rehab excercises using a thermaband (thick elastic band) i wouldn't do taht yet though, in any case take like 6 ibuprophen, to speed healing....

6. k624ash

k624ash New Member

I dont think its too bad right now, i feel like it will heal up nice on its own if i just rest it.

I want to take care of it in the future though, cause i know its a weak point. Ill have to pickup one of those thermabands

I think i need to reevaluate my benching form, my right arm always feels weaker, i may have been putting my shoulder in to it too much

7. The Great Deceiver

The Great Deceiver 21st Century Schizoid Man

It's pretty much a design flaw in the human body

8. ralyks

ralyks New Member

It's because kids are fat and lazy and don't use their shoulders as much as they should while growing up.

RC exercises and face pulls have helped me tremendously. It's not just about treating it once something happens, you also need to proactively prevent things from happening once you do get a tear.

Learning proper technique on bench (or any pressing movement really) will help as well. You should be pinching your shoulder blades down and back, locking them in place throughout the whole movement, and tucking your elbows in when you bring the bar down.

9. k624ash

k624ash New Member

yea, i need to focus on that more on my bench

I kinda disagree with you on the fat and lazy thing, i think its mostly swimmers and pitchers and other athletes who move their arms in a similar motion that have rotator cuff problems.

my entire family is tall, lean, and very active. I think its just bad genetics that we have rotator cuff problems.

whats a face pull?

10. Holliday

Holliday New Member

I had surgery on my rotator cuff and posterior labrum 3 years back. I just started lifting heavily again, and I've noticed my bench (barbell mainly) is not progressing as fast as the rest of my lifts.

I mentioned to my workout buddy yesterday that I felt like my shoulder was keeping my bench down, and we started discussing form. He told me to try to keep my elbows in against my side instead of bowing them out. I tried it for a set and it felt awkward as fuck, so I reverted back to elbows out.

Should I try to keep my elbows at my sides when benching? Will it help keep the weight off my shoulders?

11. HorseDick

HorseDick Active Member

Tucking the elbow is very common in powerlifting. It's considered proper form and will also help target more of the triceps / help prevent shoulder injuries.

12. Holliday

Holliday New Member

Agreed.

My shoulder problems come from 20 years of volleyball. Fucked it up pretty good. Most of my active friends have had shoulder problems as well.

13. ralyks

ralyks New Member

Your shoulders may be holding you back, I know that when mine used to sublax or dislocate or whatever it hurt like a mother, and I couldn't do chest for a month each time. Then when I finally did get back to it, I'd have to take it easy. Now I can squat and deadlift over 415 but I can still hardly bench 225.

Watch some videos on proper benching technique. It does feel weird at first, but it will keep your shoulders healthier over the long run. I don't know if it keeps the weight OFF your shoulders, or just puts them in a position less prone to injury, but it has helped me.

14. Holliday

Holliday New Member

I'll give it a try next time.

15. ralyks

ralyks New Member

:mb: your shoulders consist of many muscles, if they are used properly and proportionally they will develop and get stronger. Some problems can be blamed on genetics, but not something like is. Your body is a factor of genetics as well as environment, and chances are you just haven't given it the environment to properly build up the opposing muscles. The problem with swimmers and pitchers is that they overuse one set, but don't exercise the counteracting set of muscles which leads to an imbalance and problems. My buddy was a pitcher and showed me exercises his coaches made him do, and they helped me tons.

16. k624ash

k624ash New Member

i just kinda thought it might be genetics since my dad, all his siblings, and my brother had to get rotator cuff surgery. i guess its just a coincidence though

Ive done a few exercises for it in the past, but im gonna step it up in the future

17. ralyks

ralyks New Member

Well, do they do any sort of exercise to counterbalance the exercise/sporting they do?

It's like everyone in your family having had a heart attack and you eating bacon for breakfast every day.

18. Ricer

Ricer OT Supporter

ralyks any links to the exercises that your buddy showed you that helped a lot?

About the benching with your arms tucked, I know most powerlifters use this to put up more weight but from a body building perspective isn't it better to keep your elbows out to hit the chest better?

19. ralyks

ralyks New Member

Let me try to find it.
    From a bodybuilding perspective yes - unless you're chronically injuring yourself which does more harm than good. Like it was said in the other thread - most benchers eventually turn over to tucking their elbows. It's not going to make a huge difference anyways - add some flys and you're good to go.

20. ralyks

ralyks New Member

21. ralyks

ralyks New Member

And face pulls (properly):
    [y]0XjAgPZcrpQ[/y]

Notice:
    1) Rope is going to his forehead, not chest or jaw
    2) Arms are perpendicular at the end of movement, not parallel to the ground

I was pulling to my jaw with parallel arms at first and maxed out the cables after a few weeks :rofl: had to use a box to prop my foot on to keep from falling forward. Then I tried it the proper way and can only use about 100lbs, and I feel it a lot more.

22. TFunkadelic

TFunkadelic One Nation Under A Groove

I dislocated my shoulder playing basketball 2 years ago and it still feels weird, and can be easily agitated. I learned the hard way that rotator cuffs are not to be fucked with.

23. .::Rotten Apple::.

.::Rotten Apple::. OT Supporter

This is true to an extent. Pitchers, for example, have many issues because of the motion they force their arm through day in and day out. It's a difficult move for the muscles and any deviation from perfect form can easily lead to injury. Same with any repetitive athletic move. Putting that much pressure on the same muscle groups constantly is tricky so you MUST maintain proper form. Same goes for lifting.

In regards to the rotator cuff issue... It may be or it may not be. Give it 7 days without moving it into any position that causes pain. Take an Aleve three times per day (or some other NSAID). After the 7 days see if you have full range of motion without pain. If there's no pain, slowly work back into your routine (always maintaining proper form). If you still have pain, it's time to see a doctor.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.