Rotator Cuff Surgery

Discussion in 'Fitness & Nutrition' started by klintdog, Apr 26, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. klintdog

klintdog Resident Lurker

I've been having problems with my shoulder and found out yesterday that I'm going to need to surgery on my rotator cuff. Have any of you ever had this done before? What should I expect for recovery, etc? I'm pretty nervous at this point since I've heard I might be out of all activities until next summer. Any help you guys could give would be appreciated.

2. boujo

boujo I'm Smarter Then You

my old man had the surgery, you'll be out for a while. It's been a month and he still cant even lift his arm all the way up.

3. DCyamaha

DCyamaha O-line found

holy hell, what did you do to it??

4. MaineSucks

MaineSucks OT Supporter

you will probably be sidelined for a while. best advice is to get with a good physical therapist after your the incision heals. They can get you on track to a faster recovery. Its gonna suck for a while, but if you think about it, its better to get it out of the way no rather than later

5. Placebo

Placebo New Member

You'll have to be a little more specific. It depends entirely on the type of surgery needed.

6. Eric Draven

Eric Draven New Member

I had a torn labrium tendon (sp?) and got surgery on it
    doctors said I'd never be able to bench heavy again...those fags!
    up to a 435lb max off the 2 board :noes:

7. klintdog

klintdog Resident Lurker

Actually a combination of golf, softball, and farm activities.

8. sportsjunkie

sportsjunkie OT Supporter

rotator cuff surgery is pretty serious
    you might want to get a second opinion (to see if it is absolutely necessary)because the surgery can and will most likely affect you for the rest of your life (with Range of Motion)

you'll have physical therapy for at least 8 weeks (I know patients at my clinic who have had physical therapy, for rotator cuff surgery, for 3 months).

9. Ceaze

Ceaze https://hearthis.at/DoYouEvenUplift Moderator

Yeah but what is actually wrong with your shoulder that requires surgery?

10. trom

trom New Member

I tore my labrum (cartilage that holds ball steady in the socket) 3/4s of the way around. I had arthroscopic surgery March 3rd. I've been healing/doing physical therapy since then. Since I hurt it way back in October, I've gone from being able to do sets of 20 pull-ups, to now getting tired pushing against a door frame for a set a 10. :wtc:

11. sam758

sam758 OT Supporter

howd you hurt it?

12. trom

trom New Member

Checking someone playing ice hockey.

13. DTR rex

DTR rex New Member

my shoulder has been pretty messed up too for a couple months now. I need to get into a doctor. I hope to God that i do not need surgery.

14. klintdog

klintdog Resident Lurker

I'm going to rebump this now that I have my MRI results back and the surgery scheduled. It looks like I have a partially torn rotator cuff. It's torn right next to the Acromion. They put dye in my shoulder and took the MRI and it showed the dye leaking into the space between the cuff and the bone. The orthopedist showed me the pictures and you can see a definite tear that goes a little over 1/2 way through.

Right now they're planning on starting with an arthroscopy on my shoulder. He's going to smoothen out the torn piece and remove the swollen bursa around it. He is also going to trim the acromion bone so I have more space. Depending on how bad the tear looks when he uses the scope, he may abort the scope option and use an incision to get at it. If he has to do this I'm going to have the cuff actually stitched back together.

Anyone have any idea what I should expect after this? How long until I can get back to basic weight training or cardio? I have a fear of hospitals that goes back to my grandmother dying, so I'm not a big fan of going in for this, but the pain is at the point where it needs to be done. Anythign you guys can give me would help right now....good, bad, or otherwise.

15. sportsjunkie

sportsjunkie OT Supporter

if it's incision or arthroscopy, it's gonna take a couple weeks to get back to the basics, you're gonna start slow and work your way up

but if you're sincerely worried about your health, you know that it would take time and you just have to be patient...next time you see the doctor, ask him how long the recovery process is, if he's gonna prescribe P.T., etc.

16. Ceaze

Go here: http://asp.elitefts.com/qa/default.asp?a=ask

Address your question to Michael Hope and tell him everything you said above

17. klintdog

klintdog Resident Lurker

The doc said if it's just the arthroscopy I'll be in a sling for about 3-4 weeks, and then do around 4 months of P.T.

If he has to go in through an incision, I'll be in a sling for 1 month, and then around 6 months of P.T. He estimated I would be somewhat back to 'normal' in around a year.

Obviously going without lifting or anything for a year is going to suck. I need to figure out what I can/can't do and try to work around that so I don't put the 28 pounds I've lost since Feb back on.

18. MikeTheVike1

MikeTheVike1 OT Supporter

Oh god this thread scares me...I hurt my shoulder/rotator cuff playing softball like a month ago. It was REALLY painful the next day, but its getting better every day. I still get a small stinging pain putting it in some positions and doing certain things, but it feels fine doing normal motions.

I've hurt my rotators before, but they eventually healed fine and I would continue lifting, but I've been afraid to lift since this has happened. I need to go to the doctor, I just hate going to doctors :(

Anyone know how the feeling of a ripped rotator and a badly strained one differ?

19. uofapeter

uofapeter New Member

this thread is way scary, my shoulder hurts constantly and clicks when i move it around. It doesn't affect how much i can lift so i just ignore it hoping it will go away, but man maybe i should head into the doctor for some expensive xrays

20. Ceaze

contrast MRI > x-ray

21. Ceaze

Travis Mash just had a partially torn rotator cuff repaired along with a bone spur removed and he benched 365 raw four weeks after his surgery

22. klintdog

klintdog Resident Lurker

I hurt mine last summer. I would throw and I could hear my shoulder popping. It pretty much went away once the season was over. I actually ended up tweaking my trap doing dumbbell fly's and went to the chiropractor to get it back to normal. He felt my shoulder and called it right away. I can really notice it if I try to raise my arm straight up behind my head, or move my arm behind me.

Try taking a dumbbell and raising it straight up in front of you to a little more then shoulder height. It's one of the exercises my doc gave me to work with to try and build the cuff up so it doesn't hurt so bad.

I fucked around for a year and now I'm paying for it. It sounds like your symptoms might be similar to mine. If you've got decent insurance, I'd suggest going in and getting it checked out. Better to be safe then sorry.

23. N-Word-Jim

N-Word-Jim Cure for boredom

holy backfire

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.