SRS Roommate Smokes Too Much

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by sdubz, Nov 21, 2008.

1. sdubz

sdubz New Member

My roommate unfortunately smokes 24/7 and never leaves the house and i have noticed my lungs have been feeling shitty and now have a horrible cough. we have lived together for 3 months now and i spend most of my time in my room. what can i do about this? I try to leave all the windows open where he smokes and i keep my window in my room open and i have a fan in my room as well...

2. mandrew

mandrew New Member

tell him you don't like having smoke in the air all the time, and he needs to go outside to smoke, or only smoke in his room with the door closed and windows open.

your health is at risk so it shouldn't even be up for debate.

3. copperhead035

copperhead035 New Member

I'm a dedicated smoker, but I have enough courtesy to not smoke in the house. I've never lived alone, so I've gotten used to it enough that I have no desire to smoke up my place, I go out to the garage and fire up the heater.

Talk to your roommate about smoking outside. As a roommate, both of you need to be able to make concessions to the other, but a non-smoker shouldn't need to be subjected to something like that constantly. If your roommate refuses to go outside to smoke, try suggesting that they only smoke in their room and with the window at least cracked and a fan blowing out. If that still doesn't fly, I suggest looking for a new place to live.

4. 04JETTA

04JETTA OT Supporter

ask him to smoke outside

5. Sonic_Fan

Sonic_Fan 恐ろしい Member

You should talk to him about it. There's no way you should continue inhaling the smoke when it's bad for your health. If you had previously noticed that you were feeling bad because of him smoking, you should have approached him sooner. Hopefully your talk will make him smoke somewhere else.

6. GregFarz78

GregFarz78 New Member

You can talk to him about it but 99% chances he won't give a shit. Personally I would move out at the end of your lease and live alone.

not dealing with a roommate > *

7. 7960

7960 New Member

who lived there first?
    did he smoke the whole time?
    is no smoking written in any agreements?
    do you split everything?
    are both names on the paperwork?

................basically you're fucked. if he's not a good guy and volunteers to smoke outside when asked nicely you have two choices, move or deal.

8. iwishyouwerebeer

iwishyouwerebeer you shut your cunt Moderator

Umm, stand up for yourself and tell him to smoke outside. Smoking indoors in disgusting. I lived with a chainsmoker a few months ago and even he had the courtesy to go outside for my sake.

9. 7960

7960 New Member

if they're equals in the apartment then who is he to "tell" him to go outside?

10. Dahlia

Dahlia Active Member

Because its a proven health risk. And i'm pretty sure they are starting to have laws that deal with this kind of stuff. (correct my if i'm wrong though). Smoke is proven to cause disease, and with him KNOWINGLY smoking inside where the chance of second hand smoke inhalation is high, if you get a disease could fall back on being his fault. (i know in my state, for STDs, this is how it works)

11. 7960

7960 New Member

he's paying rent so it's just as much HIS place. you're saying he can be told what he can't do in his place?

Good luck proving it was his roommate's smoke that caused it.

12. Dreams2Reality

Dreams2Reality saywhat

You're very much so right. Indoors smoking is prohibited in Rhode Island and Mass.

13. 7960

7960 New Member

:rofl:

in businesses and public offices, NOT in your own home.

14. Dahlia

Dahlia Active Member

It is still a proven health risk... do you not get that? If he was living by himself or another who was okay with it, then it would be a different story. Yea he pays to live there, but you also are paying to have a roommate. That means you HAVE to be accommodating to the other person.

15. 7960

7960 New Member

I honestly don't care if it's a health risk or not. It's also him home and if there was not a "no smoking" agreement when he moved in then too bad for his non-smoking roommate.

No, you don't, but since you're talking about laws and things people "HAVE to" do maybe you can show me the law that says he "HAS to" do anything?

16. iwishyouwerebeer

iwishyouwerebeer you shut your cunt Moderator

7960, are you a smoker? :mamoru:

17. 7960

7960 New Member

no. in fact I hate smoking. i grew up with 2 parents who smoked for 25+ years i lived there. i think it's gross and haven't/wouldn't smoke.

but what i hate even more is one person thinking he has the right to affect what another does in his home.........or even business. i think forcing restaurants to go no-smoking is the stupidest shit ever. it's the business OWNER'S business, if he wants to allow smoking good for him. i wont' go, but the fact that i don't like smoking doesn't give me the right to make him not allow it.

18. Dahlia

Dahlia Active Member

To live with someone you have to be accommodating to other people, thats just the way life works. If you just say fuck it, and don't give a shit about the person you live with, and respect them, then its going to end very fast, and it will end in a fight, and probably moving out. When I had roommates, no, i dont HAVE to do anything, but its respectful to the others, and it makes living together easier. If I just decided, no, I wasn't going to do the dishes, clean, whatever, yes, it is my right to do that, but it doesn't make the situation of living together any easier, and its disrespectful.

And anti-smoking laws shouldn't be a big deal. SMOKING IS PROVEN TO BE HARMFUL. Why should we subject harmful things to everyone around? Thats quite wrong, and quite negligent.

19. 7960

7960 New Member

so your definition of "accommodate" is "do whatever the other guy says"?

then move out.

THERE you go, finally using the right word.

It's RESPECTFUL. It's not required by law like you tried to say earlier.

He's not subjecting harmful things to everyone around. He's smoking in his own home.

Your fallacious appeals to emotion and fear are failing :mamoru:

20. Dreams2Reality

Dreams2Reality saywhat

Correct, if you own the home. If you split rent, split bills, and split total costs, then I'd say it's open to discussion as to what is and is not permitted in the house.

It's just as much his home as it is the others. If there was ever a point where someone I lived with asked me to stop, specifically if they mention because of health issues, I would not hesitate to take it outside.

There should be a point of discussion regarding what one permits, and the other does not. If he laughs, or becomes 'obnoxious' when you bring it up, maybe you should do something radical on a constant basis. When he asks you to stop, I'm sure you'll just have to give em' the eye.

Cook fish in the house every night, see if he likes the smell of that.

21. JordanClarkson

JordanClarkson OT Supporter

Tell him how you feel. My roommate did not like me smoking cigars in the house even though he smoked cigarettes in the house, so I kept it to my room. He eventually found it more appealing to smoke outside or in the bathroom with the fan on.

Now I have another roommate who will smoke in the bathroom and I will too, plus sometimes in my room but that requires a candle and a fan blowing out the window after I smoke while blowing it out the window. Usually I will drive down to the school down the street and smoke on the walkway there.

22. Buck something?

Buck something? New Member

i dont get it, smoking inside is gross anyways, no ventilation, the smoke just lingers in your eyes, it sucks.

(i just quit smoking)

23. 7960

7960 New Member

And maybe now you're finally realizing there's a distinction between what he MUST do and what he SHOULD do. The smoker SHOULD go outside; there is no law (or even apparently rule) that says he MUST like you originally said.

24. Dreams2Reality

Dreams2Reality saywhat

Never did I state that he 'must' do something, now you're making assumptions. I simply replied that in Mass. and RI, smoking is illegal (in public places).

I think you're replying simply to be punctuating in a douche-bag way, quite frankly.

Stop thinking you're the King Pin, bud.

25. 7960

7960 New Member

Your original post.
    Please highlight the part where you say in public places :o

No, I'm replying because you were wrong and refuse to admit it or amend what you said. The smoker has as much right to smoke in his house as the other guy has to cook fish every day. They SHOULD work it out so they both benefit but you keep saying MUST when you mean SHOULD. Frankly, if the smoker doesn't give a shit, he doesn't have to change anything and there are only two things that can be done.......move or deal with it.