SRS Roommate Problems..Lawyers Appreciated

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by sdubz, Jan 9, 2010.

1. sdubz

sdubz New Member

So I have this roommate that moved in to my apartment in June '09. Everything was good at first but since then everything has gone to HELL. He is a complete slob and is completely irresponsible. BUT it gets worse..he sells drugs out of the house and I found out that he has a considerable amount of money saved up and now people want to rob the house. This puts me at risk and I really don't want to live here anymore and before I just wanted to kick him out but now I just want to leave altogether. My neighborhood is pretty bad to begin with and I feel like my house is marked now so what is the best way legally of me getting out of here???

2. katt_85

katt_85 OT Supporter

Is your room mate on the lease, or just you? How long is the lease for?

Where I live, If he isn't on the original lease and is just sub leasing from you, you only have to give him 30 days written notice to vacate. Best to contact a local landlord advisory board /regional tenancies branch on laws and your rights in your area.

3. sdubz

sdubz New Member

Thanks for your response. We are both on the lease but I lived there first so I think I am the master leaser? or something like that. And I do not even want to live at this house anymore since it is MARKED

4. Kafka

Kafka New Member

Make the landlord aware about what your roomy is doing. The landlord has the right to terminate one or more tenants if criminal activity is known to go on there. How long is your lease? You could also just call the cops and give them permission to enter when he's doing a "deal".

It's kind of narc'ish but if I was afraid for my life from robberies and home invasions I don't think there'd be any ethical limits.

5. sdubz

sdubz New Member

I was planning on this but I dont wan't to snitch. If anything, I would definitely do that. But even if he was kicked out my house is still marked and people would still want to rob it.

6. katt_85

katt_85 OT Supporter

Still, I'd worry about getting him out and then plan a move for yourself if you are primarily responsible for the suite. Speak with your landlord and let them know the situation. I'm sure if you come to them before they find out another way, they will be more willing to assist you. Let your landlord know your feelings about the suite now that that activity has been brought there and ask what you can do about moving before your lease is up.

7. MattThom01

MattThom01 New Member

if you have proof that he is selling drugs, call the cops.

Screw being a snitch...he's breaking the law, and potentially putting you in harm's way.

Don't wait, call your landlord and the cops now.

8. TheOutlawTorn

TheOutlawTorn New Consequence Machine

At this point: FUCK THE LEASE. More than likely that place IS marked. If you get him out, chances are it'll happen anyway. :sad2:

9. Stilgar1973

Stilgar1973 New Member

I have read a few 'landlord for dummies' type books recently...

For the most part evictions are things that can take months.
    There is an exception.
    There is a way for the landlord to get an eviction for someone to be kicked out over a weekend.
    Drugs.

Moreso...
    in some states the landlord is REQUIRED BY LAW TO KICK ANYONE OUT OF HIS RENTALS THAT HE HAS FOUND DOING DRUGS. HE IS REQUIRED BY LAW TO REPORT IT TO THE COPS.

Here is something else important for you to think about.

When cops come in and bust a place, when they come rushing in the door, put a knife to the couch you have been sleeping on and find cocaine or weed or whatever in the cushions EVERYONE IS GUILTY INCLUDING YOU. It doesn't matter that you don't approve, or are not comfortable - or (and I don't agree with this, but the law is what it is) even know about it.
    YOU ARE IN DANGER OF SERVING TIME.

If you would like I will find my books, find the section that talks about this stuff and email you something about them.

email me at [email protected] and I will be happy to help you.

I would suggest that your plan of attack is to go to the landlord, tell him what is going on and that you want out of the lease with no repercussions NOW. Hand him a copy of the state laws regarding drug use in a rental while you are at it.

Good luck.

10. PureEnergy

PureEnergy New Member

Those same people that claim not to be a snitch will call cops when things go wrong for them.

11. sdubz

sdubz New Member

thanks for all the replys... my only dilemma is that if he is kicked out of the apartment, i will still be stuck in the apartment with a lease expiring in may. I want to get out of the apartment more so than kicking him out..

12. Guz200sx

Guz200sx The man who does more than he is paid for will soo

Talk to your landlord. Ask him if they could let you out of the lease. Maybe lie if you have to. Tell them you have to move back home cause your dad/mom/sister/uncle is sick and dying and you need to go help your family.

I would avoid saying anything about your roommate and what he is doing. You don't want future blow backs coming back to you.

13. Coottie

Coottie BOOMER......SOONER OT Supporter

:werd:

It's about survival. Only thing I would do differently is not lie. I was in a pretty desperate situation back when I was drinking all the time and I had to disappear for awhile.....I told the truth to my landlord and he agreed to let me out of the lease with no penalties. It really sucked because I had lived there for 2 years and loved that little house but I didn't feel safe there anymore.

I found when you're really in a bad spot and you're honest with people, they will surprise you with their generosity and kindness. However, that's here in Oklahoma and it's one of the things I love about this state....great people....other parts of the country they just might not give a shit about you. :dunno:

14. TFunkadelic

TFunkadelic One Nation Under A Groove

I think this is true anywhere you go, as long as you have friends. Whenever I've thought I had no options left and nowhere to turn, I have.

15. Guz200sx

Guz200sx The man who does more than he is paid for will soo

Well you're lucky then I guess.
    I said to lie cause I've find that people could give two shits about someone else. Most people are just out looking for themselves. So why chance it by being honest and then getting turned down. Lie and make them feel sorry for you and your more than likely to get what you need.

Of course though, if you have a good relationship with the landlord (and are friends or maybe at least they are nice people that you know for a fact) then this goes out the window.

16. Coottie

Coottie BOOMER......SOONER OT Supporter

Well some people think that character and integrity matter so IMO it's best not to lie. Now given the situation, lying might be important because there might be physical dangers for staying put. However, an honest and frank discussion with the landlord might actually work. It's impossible for us to know because we're not there and don't have all the variables.

17. sdubz

sdubz New Member

thanks for the responses...i am going to speak with my roommate tomorrow and see if he found a new roommate to move in... if he does then that would be great.. if not then i am going to talk to the landlord and ask her to take me off the lease and have my roommate pay for my half of the rent .

18. Kev07

Kev07 New Member

is your roommate dangerous to you? directly i mean, obviously hes dangerous to you indirectly via drugs/getting your house marked