SRS Roommate issues...

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by surferrosa, Mar 3, 2007.

1. surferrosa

surferrosa New Member

Ok, I'll try not to make this too long. I'm a sophomore in college, 21 years old, and living in a substance free dorm. I'm not against alcohol or anything, but I have an issue with my roommate. She gets drunk almost every night and comes back to the room really late, usually around 2 or 3. I have class every day at 8 am, so I try to get to bed around midnight or so. I feel she is being very inconsiderate by turning on the lights and talking to other people either in person or on the phone. I have approached this issue with her before, and things changed for a couple of days, but now it's back to the same old thing.
    Last night she got arrested for being drunk in public, being underage, and assaulting an officer. She wasn't taken to jail or the hospital though. She told the officers what room she lives in and my name, and an officer came and woke me up. She had fallen asleep in the basement of our dorm, and when I got down there she was still handcuffed and was screaming at the officers. So after we (the 3 officers and I) get her back to our room, I was told to keep an eye on her and to call if she left the room or showed signs of alcohol poisoning.
    I feel like this was the thing that really set me over the edge with her. We don't talk, and most of the time she acts like I'm not even there. My question is, what should I do about this? I'm thinking I might request a roommate change, but I'm worried that the process to do that would take a long time and the time I'll have in the new room would only be a couple of weeks. Should I try to talk to her again and hope things change or should I go ahead and request a room change?
    I'd appreciate any and all replies. Thanks.

Sorry, no cliffs.

2. Lateralus

Lateralus New Member

You need to most definitely request a room change, given the circumstances they will probably process it quicker than normal I would hope. She is obviously out of control, and she should not be your responsibility. I would call today and try to get the process started as soon as possible, good luck.

3. surferrosa

surferrosa New Member

Thanks. Unfortunately I can't get on the process underway until Monday.

4. Brian May

Brian May New Member

Good luck to you. I know firsthand what it's like to live with psychotic and inconsiderate roomates. I feel your pain

5. lugoismad

lugoismad Active Member

I had this EXACT problem freshman year of college.

First set of dorms I lived in, I came home one day and 3 guys were on my couch doing lines of blow off the coffee table.

I moved the next day.

The next set of roommates seemed cool at first. 3 guys that went to highschool together. I was kind of the odd man out, but they were considerate and always invited me to party with them. Then they started partying harder and harder. It got to the point to where they were putting away a 30 pack of Keystone a piece a night. Thats right, 30 beers each every night of the week. The three of them would kill a liter of 151 vodka just to pregame for a party.

Several times one of them would stumble in the dorm and pass out in the kitchen and start twitching. I'd wake up the other 2 guys and make sure they saw it so that the blame if he had alcohol poisining was not on me.

They had road cone fight night, where they stole road cones and then jousted with them in the dorm and put all kinds of holes in the walls.

You can request a rooommate change, its not hard and doesn't cost you anythign unless you do it excessively. I actually flipped out one night and threatened to kill them all in their sleep, so the RA moved me, but thats besides the point.

6. surferrosa

surferrosa New Member

Thank you for your responses. I plan on switching rooms as soon as I can. I wrote her a letter in which I explained what she did last night and told her that I plan on persuing a room change. I really appreciate everyone's responses.

7. Boomhauer

Boomhauer New Member

Conversely, actual legal issues, you may be able to have her expelled for, and then you'd have the room to yourself the rest of the semester. I don't know if that's a route you want to take though.

8. MattThom01

MattThom01 New Member

Change rooms, and report what happened to your school.

9. surferrosa

surferrosa New Member

I don't think I want to take that route. But what did she do that could get her expelled? I know it's really hard to get kicked out of the dorms, even the substance free ones, and she hasn't been caught drunk by any of the RAs.

10. calisteph6

calisteph6 Active Member

Yea, talk to the RA's. It's usually fairly easy to get a room change, especially when you explain tht situation. It's hard to find a good roomie sometimes, goodluck and I hope your next one is better.

11. surferrosa

surferrosa New Member

Thanks everyone for your responses. :)

12. surferrosa

surferrosa New Member

Just an update for those who posted.
    I've talked with my RA and the RD about getting a room change, but because one of the other dorms is about to be remodeled I won't be able to switch rooms. My roommate hasn't talked to me (even when I say hi to her) since the day after she was arrested, when she said "Fuck you" to me. So, needless to say, things aren't changing. :(

13. Falconer

Falconer OT Supporter

:eek3:

Were they huge? How does someone drink 30 beers in one night?

14. Falconer

Falconer OT Supporter

There has to be something else you can do. This is ridiculous. I'm glad I lived with my friend Freshman year.

15. Elfling

Elfling New Member

Keep asking. Don't give up.

16. johan

johan Active Member

Don't give up. They have an obligation to look after you.
    Don't talk to this roomie anymore. You owe her, and her asinine attitude, nothing.

17. teo

teo . => ? => !

She got arrested for being drunk and disorderly. It'll be on record. You were also witness to the whole thing. You should have ample information to get her idiotic ass kicked out of your room.

18. surferrosa

surferrosa New Member

Another update :)
    She had her court date yesterday and was ordered to pay $100, do 30 hours of community service, and attend a class on alcohol abuse. When she got back to our room I asked her how court went, and that's when she told me all that. She also said that that night she got written up by the RAs twice before the cops came. Then she apologized to me, saying that she didn't really remember what happened and that she was embarrassed about it, which is why she was ignoring me. So we decided that since I probably won't be able to get a new room, that we should try to get along. She said she wouldn't come back to the room drunk anymore and that she wants us to "start over." So overall, I'm still not happy with her, but I'm glad she apologized and we agreed to try to work things out.

19. shawshank

shawshank New Member

Have you tried asking her to talk on the phone outside in the hallway?

20. surferrosa

surferrosa New Member

:hsugh: Yes, we've talked about all of that. It's not so much the talking that gets to me, it's that she'll turn on the big overhead lights in our room. But, like I've said, we talked about all of that and we're going to try to work it out.