SRS Roomate's good friend died today

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by Create, Dec 14, 2006.

1. Create

Create :free at last:

My roomate's good friend died today. He was returning to the city from an outlying burb on a one lane each way. An opposing direction car crossed center and hit him head on. He diddn't live long, not even to the hospital.

I got in late and my roomate was extremely drunk. None of our friends who knew him asked him to come over, nor did the few he invited show up here. I diddn't know the deceased well but was over playing poker a few times several months ago.

He's survived by his 7mo pregnant wife.

Even worse, my roomate's right-hand man is the deceased childhood friend, a friend of near 3 decades. The right-hand man is MIA. His wife has called several times tonight.

So my roomate is going to work tomorrow. It's likely to be a long day. I can hear him in bed crying.

I have no clue what I can do. I hate the feeling of wanting to do something, but seeing everything as beyond your control.

2. KatWoman

KatWoman •••••••••••

Just be there and be supportive. Offer to him your availablity if he needs to talk or someone to cry to. That's about all you can do :hs:

3. Create

Create :free at last:

He's going into full isolation-drunken mode. Damn.

4. KatWoman

KatWoman •••••••••••

:( That's not good.

5. teo

teo . => ? => !

Nothing to add except :( and :hug:

6. Jeff Merr

Jeff Merr Elite Member

Make sure he doesn't have any suicidal thoughts, if he doesn't, give him his space when he needs it, and be there for him when he needs someone to talk to. That's all you can really do, everyone handles these situations their own way, all you can do is lend your support and let him know you are there. Drinking away his pain is a very bad move, how often did he drink before this incident?

7. Lucky Penny

Lucky Penny Mr. cut me some slack cause I don't wanna go back,

So so sorry to hear that :hug: Let him have some space, but don't let him isolate himself- he needs friends now more than ever. Good Luck :hs: