roof flexes 2 inches (well like 1 inch)

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by Sh0kka, Feb 22, 2004.

1. Sh0kka

Sh0kka New Member

from the 2 l7 12s and the mx-5000 amp. what to do? is there a way to take it apart and dynamat that bitch?

2. 04

04 Guest

No, dynamat wont fix that problem. You can either turn the volume down or you are going to have to reinforce the roof with fiberglass or something.

3. tryfuhl

tryfuhl New Member

dynamat basically works on the principal of adding mass so I don't see why it wouldn't help, the roof would become heavier so therefore you'd have less flex.... Fiberglass would work basically on the same principal... While I've never dynamatted a roof myself I've had buddies do it (mainly in SUV's and sunroof equipped cars) and it helped...

Some guys run mdf or whatever else across the contour of the roof, pretty much redoing the whole ceiling of the car but that might be a bit extreme....

I'm wondering if a spray deadener wouldn't be the best option however... You could use something like Cascade's spray... or eD has a new one out www.edesignaudio.com

4. ronin11

ronin11 New Member

yeah but dynamat is for parts that vibrate, there is no support in it! what he needs to do is add support to his roof.. becuase its not vibtrating whih would result in a rattle. the metal isnt strong enough to hold the air constant when the bass strikes. i saw the best idea for support of a roof like that recently, and it was a round metal bar much the same as a roll cage roof strap welded to the floor panels and moved up the side walls, and across the roof.. leaving it no room to move, this was stopping 2 inches of flex, and thats not an over estimate. car was stocking 4 12" subs and 2 10".

5. tryfuhl

tryfuhl New Member

dynamat adds mass, you add mass, you reduce flex, what do you think that panel vibrating is from? FLEXING of the panels...

I've also seen bars run floor to ceiling, between pillars, etc..roofs relined with MDF braces, etc

6. 04

04 Guest

Adding mass simply lowers the resonance frequency of the roof. HOWEVER, if the roof is moving an inch back and forth, mass loading it with one layer of dynamat probably is not going to change the amount of flex by very much. Sure if you put like 10 layers of dynamat on the roof, I bet it would be close to not flexing anymore, but that is kind of impractical, no?

If he wants to totally cut down on the flex, he is going to have to use a solid material.

Why don't you see SPL competitors using dynamat to cut down on the flex? Because mdf and concrete do it a whole lot better....