Ronin, Veonake Tell me what you think of this...

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by JRock10, Sep 11, 2005.

1. JRock10

JRock10 Active Member

Have you guys (or anyone else) biamped a pair of components? I've got some Orion P6.2s in the doors of my firebird with alpine type r comps in the sail panels and kicker 5.25 comps in the hatch. Also, i happen to have 2 PPI DCX300.4s sitting around. My thoughts are use one 4ch for the rear speakers and use the other one to power the orions. they xovers have bi-amp inputs. just wanted to see if you guys had experience with doing this and/or what you think of it

2. Ronin

Ronin Guest

hm, i really wouldnt know, veo should have some good input.

i dont see what would be wrong, perhaps try it and see how it sounds :dunno:

3. twistid

twistid Banged By Super Models Moderator

i used to run Orion HCCA 5s(one of the best sounding comps i've owned), but never bi-amped them... i have however bi-amped the older type-r's before in cars.

i'd look into eliminating the other speakers, and keeping just the orions's up front... i'm a firm believer of less is more.

4. JRock10

JRock10 Active Member

yeah, generally i'd agree with the less is more, but i just want this car to be loud as hell. and i could always fade to the front if i were in the mood for some sq. i've got more of an sq setup in my s10, so i want the car to be just obnoxious..
    how did the type r's sound biamped compared to single. and did you make your own xover or were the alpine xovers biamp capable?

5. twistid

the amp i used in one car was x-over on the 4chl v12 expert(kickass middleschool amp) the customer already had, and the others i used the 3 way of the 2way/3way x-over on the higherend alpine decks.

6. JRock10

JRock10 Active Member

i remember those amps. very badass. that was the days before alpine learned how to make an amp that sounded good and had no balls whatsoever! My old youth minister at church had a celica with v12 expert amps and the MTX prefab Blue Thunder box (3 10's in a wedge box). that shit was b-a-n-a-n-a-s

7. JRock10

JRock10 Active Member

bump, maybe veonake will open his damn eyes and post an opinion!

8. JRock10

JRock10 Active Member

:hsd: i still haven't done this yet. just thought i'd update. :mamoru:

9. ngsm13

ngsm13 New Member

Personally, I wouldn't do it...

I think this sums it up best...
    :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

10. JRock10

JRock10 Active Member

I already have the amps, and I will be running 3 comp sets in this car. So any noise that will be introduced will be drowned out by the sheer volume that the system will be capable of.

You read so well. And personally, I don't care. :weak:

11. ngsm13

ngsm13 New Member

Three component sets, all different brands...

Yeah... that's going to sound good... lawl...

:rolleyes:

12. JRock10

JRock10 Active Member

i'm going for loud :fawk: and it does sound pretty good

13. twistid

how would you know, have you sat in his car??? on paper it may not be a good idea, but it real life it may be the best ever combo.

14. JRock10

JRock10 Active Member

actually it helps contain the exhaust tone. even with 2 layers of dynamat extreme in the trunk, a flowmaster on a LT1 gets pretty loud

15. ngsm13

ngsm13 New Member

I don't believe in rear fill. Unless it's a VERY large car. (Large SUV or Sedan...) And if people insist on rear-fill, I usually suggest components for the front and coaxials for the rear.

The more speakers, the more point sources, the more time alignment and phasing problems you have... here is a perfect example of MORE items isn't always good.

BUT...

As long as he likes it, and it sounds good to him... that's all that matters...

;)

16. Ronin

Ronin Guest

using something like tacmat will reduce that noise by quite a bit

17. twistid

i'm a less is more person... but i'm also a person that knows what sound good to me, may not sound good to the next guy.

18. veonake

veonake OnT poster, OT lurker

Haha, how did i miss this thread? Actually, I wonder if I was in the process of moving around the time this was posted.

As far as bi-amping goes, my opinion is that I don't think it will sound much different than simply bridging your 4-channel amp and hooking it up like normal. The reason is, you are probably NOT bi-amping, but bi-wiring, which I guess can sometimes be called passive bi-amping, as opposed to active bi-amping, which DOES improve sound via active XO's.

If you want to read more than you ever wanted to know about bi-amping.
    http://sound.westhost.com/bi-amp.htm

This not to say you shouldn't biwire, but I would rather simply bridge my amp for the additional power output. And the additional power leads to more dynamic power (which is really important) and to better sound. If you want an even bigger improvement, go active, which requires a capable HU.

Btw, I agree with ngsm13 about rear fill, but I'm sure you know that after reading my posts. Do what sounds good to you, but I recommend at least trying running without rear fill for a few days and see if you still prefer to have rear fill. I would also be concerned about mixing drivers like that, but it's certainly possible there won't be any problems.

19. JRock10

JRock10 Active Member

yeah, i know your stance on rear fill. and there may be a day when i run just front comps in this car, but for the time time, i just want it to be loud and obnoxious. it sounds like a damn nascar, so i might as well have a loud ass stereo. of course, some of you may recall that in my truck i am running something of a hybrid 3 way system and a pair of subs.