Romney says "Let Detroit fail." v.I thought it already did

Discussion in 'OT Driven' started by JayC71, Nov 19, 2008.

1. JayC71

JayC71 Guest

First, their huge disadvantage in costs relative to foreign brands must be eliminated. That means new labor agreements to align pay and benefits to match those of workers at competitors like BMW, Honda, Nissan and Toyota. Furthermore, retiree benefits must be reduced so that the total burden per auto for domestic makers is not higher than that of foreign producers.
    That extra burden is estimated to be more than $2,000 per car. Think what that means: Ford, for example, needs to cut $2,000 worth of features and quality out of its Taurus to compete with Toyota’s Avalon. Of course the Avalon feels like a better product — it has $2,000 more put into it. Considering this disadvantage, Detroit has done a remarkable job of designing and engineering its cars. But if this cost penalty persists, any bailout will only delay the inevitable.

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/11/19/opinion/19romney.html?_r=2

If you need a reason to hate the unions, there ya go.

He makes good points this guy.

2. Harry Caray

Harry Caray Fine purveyor of x.264, h.264 & TS HD-Video !!! HD

The end of an era...

The end of the UAW

3. it probably will :(

4. Dobis P.R.

Dobis P.R. Guest

I approve

5. drumbandit

drumbandit New Member

He had the most business experience among all the presidential candidates and probably would've been the best choice to get us out of this economic mess. Although experience didn't really help Hank Paulson.

6. He Mad

He Mad OT Supporter

fuck unions.

7. WickedLou9

WickedLou9 Deep cover terrorist gerbil

I honestly don't think so. not a pure and simple bailout. Chrysler will die or get bought by someone for pennies. GM will go chapter 11 with govt assistance. Ford can probably pull out with minor help.

8. but nope, the republicans had to choose the war hero instead

9. pimpofthenation

pimpofthenation OT Supporter

Mitt knows what he's talking about.

As somebody who's been around Detroit and the UAW for almost all of my life... the amount of waste that goes into paying these lazy fucks is insane. It's INCREDIBLE that it took this long to fail.

One of my coworkers talks about her husband and how his ONLY job at Ford is to schedule the use of a conference room. Seriously. People email him, and ask him about the conference room, and he replies. That's it. He has a storage room that's attached to the conference room, and he's brought in a couch, a TV, and a coffee table and he goes in there, closes the door and sleeps/watches TV for 8 of his 10 hours per day. He "works" 6 days a week, bills for 60 hours (20 hours of OT) and makes close to six figures for this.

10. WickedLou9

Chrysler and GM merge yeah it could happen, but Ford is in a decent position. They have double the net income that GM has. They aren't in as bad of shape.

11. turbo35

turbo35 haters gonna hate

and that's $2k on THEIR end, not $2k MSRP... totally different

12. BimmerJustin

BimmerJustin Why would you deny yourself something you want?

if any of the three survive without dissolving unions, how will they compete with the ones that restructure without them?

13. BigT

BigT LSX Crew

When I was at ford(contract) not union, not ford employee. There were cleaners that were paid up to and over 100k a year. one hundred thousand dollars a year to take out the trash. :rolleyes:

14. upparoom

upparoom Well-Known Member

this is exactly the kind of shit I'm talking about.

the main problem at the automakers is the UAW

its time has past

15. somer

somer OT Supporter

I voted for Romney in the FL primaries, only to have him drop out of the race 3 days later :(

He would have been an excellent president I think. This stuff about him flip/flopping on petty issues which is why Huckabee was slamming him is just ridiculous. The guy is an excellent businessman, he took companies that were failing and rebuilt them from the ground up.

Too bad. :hs:

16. TheManLouisianaFace

TheManLouisianaFace and decide!

Romney called for a bailout of detroit during the primaries. FLIP FLOPPER

http://blogs.usatoday.com/oped/2008/01/romney-sells-au.html

"It wasn't exactly what free-market conservatives wanted to hear: a Republican candidate pledging an infusion of 20 billion federal dollars for an industry that is largely responsible for its own problems."

17. smartypants

smartypants New Member

Unions FTL.

14 bucks an hour is plenty of pay for a job with bennies up there.

18. BimmerJustin

as an educated person who does important/significant work, i cannot roll my eyes hard enough when i hear about shit like this.

I hope all three fall hard

19. PC Principle

PC Principle New Member

Romney is one awesome motherfucker. He should of been president 2nd to RP.

20. Deadhead9150

Deadhead9150 Banned

Romney actually knows what the fuck he's talking about in terms of business. I heard a statistic today that including all the extras and benefits, the UAW workers are getting paid something like $75 an hour. I don't have a hatred for all unions but the UAW is really about as scumbaggy as any organization can get.

21. BimmerJustin

not defending him because i honestly dont give a shit one way or the other, but it was a different world during the primaries

22. WickedLou9

they will probably all have to restructure to some extent. But just compare GM's balance sheet to Ford. Gm is set to run out of money in 3 months unless they start selling the furniture. Ford could limp on for a couple years just as they are. I think we will see GM and Chrysler both go into some sort of bankruptcy and as part of the deal GM will absorb Chrysler. Ford will stay it's own company but they will have to be part of the deal because, you're right, if teh UAW makes concessions to GM but not ford, that would be anti-competitive. Ford may very well go chapter 11 just so that they can be part of the deal but they will not have the sort of fallout that GM will. Gm's shareholders will take a bath. Anyone that GM owes money will take a bath. Not so for Ford, and that will put them in a better position to emerge from Chap 11 as a stronger company.

23. Romney and Ron Paul combo, would've been the greatest thing for this country. :bowdown::bowdown::bowdown:

24. Harry Caray

Harry Caray Fine purveyor of x.264, h.264 & TS HD-Video !!! HD

Yeah, if Johnny boy would have picked Mitt instead of ol' hockey mom, things would have been different..