GUN Romanian AK Q

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by Swoop411, Sep 3, 2005.

1. Swoop411

Swoop411 New Member

I just picked up a "new" romanian AK and I loaded a mag...then tried to chamber a round. No dice. My Marine Corps days took over and I instinctively went for the forward assist....AK doesnt have one. So is this weapon trashed or am I doing something wrong here? I tried several more times and it seems like the bolt isnt working correctly. Like its sticking halfway home. The round slips easily into the chamber if I just drop it in, so I know its not incorrect ammunition. Any help is appreciated.

2. blkgs4

blkgs4 New Member

Slam the bolt home...I'm no AK expert but that should work. If not I dunno.

3. kellyclan

kellyclan She only loves you when she's drunk.

After the obvious clear the barrel, clean the barrel, check the ammo, don't ride the handle, etc, just give it a shove. Break off the cover and check the spring and bolt for proper assembly.

4. soccaian

soccaian New Member

yeah, dont ride the changing handle... just pull it back and let it go.

5. striker754

striker754 Chillin

ejector probably needs to be ground down some. or the rails/bolt need oil.

6. xikar

xikar New Member

Remove the loaded mag from the weapon and move the charging handle back and forth after oiling it properly. I had this problem with one of mine and it just needed to be broken in. Functions flawless now.

7. Swoop411

Swoop411 New Member

Cool.....thanks. I will have to try that when I make it back home.

8. might be a bad mag holding the bolt back.. also, AK's usually come covered in cosmoline, is there brown goo dripping out from within the cracks? if so, get yourself some brake cleaner, spray the fuck out of that thing, and blow it out with an air hose, and then oil it up good.

9. jung918

jung918 Member

Tap, rack, bang!

10. Swoop411

Swoop411 New Member

no tap rack bang with this thing....the bolt wont go home so no bang period yet

11. 2L Bunny

2L Bunny "It's only a Rabbit"

Sounds like there might be something up with your rifle. Just to clarify, you are pulling the bolt all the way back and letting it slam? If that's not working, try another mag. If not take it back to where you bought it from. Or start troubleshooting if you feel comfortable. There really isn't much to go wrong on AK's. I love my '99 Romanian SAR-1

12. have you tried it without a mag?

13. Swoop411

Swoop411 New Member

Without the mag no worries if you let it slam home. If you ride it in the least it snags up in what I am assuming to be the locking/unlocking phase of the cycle of operations....just before the bolt would be fully seated...about 1" away from the chamber. With a mag in and rounds in the mag it slings the round up in the chamber correctly but wont fully seat in the closed position. Attempts to bump the charging handle and get it to seat dont work and only make racking the bolt back to discharge the round more difficult. I am thinking about taking the rifle back but I want to exhaust every option before I go in there all peeved and it be something totally obvious.

14. if it goes home fine without a mag, have you tried a new mag?

15. striker754

striker754 Chillin

if theres a round in the chamber, you should be able to push the bolt onto the round. it will take a good push on the charging handle.

maybe the bolt isnt locking up. take it apart and put just the bolt in the rails and see what it does.

16. black96gtvert

black96gtvert "Is that goal regulation size or what!" -Happy Gil

couldnt have said it better my self.

i have a romanian AK you dont baby this gun. You throw it in the mud kick it around yank it back and it shuts it self and have fun untill you run out of ammo. LOL

17. jeepilot

jeepilot Banned

I have a newly purchased WASR-10 and had this exact problem, but it occured mid mag. I just racked and let it slam home. When I got home from the range I field stripped, cleaned the hell out of it, oiled and haven't had a problem since. It seems with the WASR-10's that if you pull the bolt back and ride it home it sticks about half way effectively acting as a "bolt hold open" which AK's don't have and will slam home as soon as you hit the rifle hard. I recomend cleaning and oiling the heck out of it, and shoot a good couple hundred rounds. If cleaning still doesn't work, i'd take it back if possible.

18. Swoop411

Swoop411 New Member

I wasnt riding the bolt home...it was hanging. I carried it back to the gun store and they are having an armorer or gunsmith look at it next week. The owner of the store was like what are you talking about....then I showed him so hopefully next week all will be good.