Rolling and LOLing

Discussion in 'MMA Training Logs' started by LOLSTi, Mar 19, 2008.

1. LOLSTi

LOLSTi DTOM

Rolling and LOLing - Got My First Stripe!

Yesterday -

Class portion: Review of guillotine technique then various escapes from standing and guillotine from knees.

Need to work on:
    • Arm bars from guard (especially body position before arm control).
    • Not getting caught in tall guy's rubber guard antics.
    • Separating knee/elbow on far side when moving side mount or crossbody -> full mount.

Last edited: May 17, 2008
  2. LOLSTi

LOLSTi DTOM

Class: Review of base/posture during different styles of guard passing.

Drilled guard pass scenarios for an hour or so.

Need to work on:
    • Moving in a positive direction when on the bottom of N/S position.
    • Keeping a low mount.

Last edited: May 28, 2008
  3. Bausk

Bausk New Member

Holy crap. 5'4" 115... was it a chick?

What is your training schedule?

4. LOLSTi

LOLSTi DTOM

Nope. He's just reeeaally small. Obviously he is blindingly fast, though. When I roll with him, it is one of the few times that I am the "big guy".

We have a cool distribution of shapes/sizes of people ranging from that guy to a 295 lb guy and everything in between. I really like having the range to practice with, seeing what works and what doesn't work on the tall/short/big/skinny guys.

My schedule is pretty much just BJJ 6 days a week, with light running/swimming/assorted weights on MWF. :o

5. LOLSTi

LOLSTi DTOM

Class:
    • Reviewed Hip Bump from guard -> mount
    • Learned counter to pass the guard
    • Learned counter to counter w/ guillotine
    Need to work on:
    • Tidying up escapes from side mount.
    • Keeping shoulder pressure and control of the hips when completing guard passes.
    • Not cheating and "flopping" my far leg over and using more technique when going from side -> mount.
    :run:

6. Hillary

Hillary fukc yaeh. ew waitled long enough. nujgses of hill

What's your training background? I don't want to assume you're better or worse then you are and give bad feedback.

7. LOLSTi

LOLSTi DTOM

Little/none. About 2 months of BJJ. :hsugh:

Feel free to give any and all advice. :h5:

8. Hillary

This is fairly obvious, but any and all time you're at the mat and it's not during class time, drill. You'll see people sitting along the side of the mats wait for class to start or chilling after. Snatch one of them up and drill BASICS. Armbars, Triangles, Side control escapes, and mount escapes. Seriously. 5 to 10 extra minutes a class will make your game grow exponentially. And don't fall into a trap of cool moves, not until your basics are really solid. You still see world champion black belts doing arm bars and traingles.

9. LOLSTi

LOLSTi DTOM

traingles :mamoru:

I'm all about fundamentals and position before submission. I only go for subs with less or equally experienced guys and only when they give something away. I like to think that I don't muscle for them. When I roll with more experienced guys from our gym, I'm really only working on my escapes and positions, not worried about submissions.

For what it's worth, I'm perpetually ~25 minutes early for class (though I use most of that time for stretching), and almost always one of the last ones off the mat.

Thanks for the comments, dudette. :h5:

10. Hillary

Good, most new people aren't like that. I agree with the positions first, but I assumed that you had a basic idea with two months.

11. LOLSTi

LOLSTi DTOM

:werd: After the novelty of tapping my first few people wore off, I've been all about working on escapes and consolidating position.

12. LOLSTi

LOLSTi DTOM

Last edited: May 12, 2008
  13. Hillary

Looking good! Keep it up!

14. LOLSTi

LOLSTi DTOM

Thanks!

I actually had a phenomenal time at BJJ tonight. Tonight was open mat no gi night. I rolled with 5 different guys ranging in experiance including one of our most seasoned white belts (~1.5 years).

Last edited: May 30, 2008
  15. LOLSTi

LOLSTi DTOM

Open Mat today.

16. Hillary

Clean your room.

17. LOLSTi

LOLSTi DTOM

:mamoru: The picture was from a month ago, jeez. My room is pretty bad now, though. :o

Last edited: May 13, 2008
  18. LOLSTi

LOLSTi DTOM

Class: Review of hip escape to elbow/knee escape from bottom of xbody side control.

Good thing we reviewed. I had a bad case of the mondays and sucked today. :dunno: Off-days happen, just worked through it.

We learned another escape from arm-under-the-head side control. Very useful.

Rolled for a little bit with our purple belted instructor. very flowy and relaxed. Picked up a few useful tips.

Things to work on:
    • Be more persistant w/ xcollar choke. I'm giving up much too quickly when I have it set up correctly.
    • Keep hips up higher to deter opponent's free arm from defending the 2nd leg-over-the-head during an armbar form guard.
    • Moving my weight up towards my opponent instead of pulling them on top of me during elevator sweeps.

19. LOLSTi

LOLSTi DTOM

Another "meh" day of training. I may be getting sick, or just :hs:. Who knows. Didn't sleep much last night, felt just as lazy all day, had zero appetite (had to force myself to eat a bit before training), and a generally weird attitude/lack of work ethic.

Class: Covered the detail of the "under" (the) guard pass. shoulder pressure, not rotating/"running" around the person, etc.

Thing to work on:
    • More persistence with my collar chokes... I'm still giving up good chokes for no reason.
    • When xcollar choking from mount, use head as a post since rolling into guard will not break the choke.

20. LOLSTi

LOLSTi DTOM

Today was the last day of class for me with my head instructor for the next twoish months. He is going to teach Jiu Jitsu and other elements of defense to our nation's special forces. :salute:

Class: We went over an escape from half guard, when your opponent has one of your arms trapped behind your body. Apparently Matt Hughes put my instructor in this position when they competed against one another.... It's a popular wrestling thing. (?)

As a result, he decided to hold a belt/stripe distribution... he gave a purple belt to one of our most experienced guys.

I ended up getting my first stripe. Pretty proud of that fact.

I'm really happy that I finally had a "good" day this week, especially since I won't be able to make it in tomorrow since I will be in Chicago.

21. LOLSTi

LOLSTi DTOM

Oh, and I had a surreal experiance at dinner tonight (a bunch of us went out to eat). The guy next to me who is a brown belt in bjj and a 2nd degree (i think) black belt/instructor of judo was chatting with Royce Gracie on the phone. :rofl:

22. LOLSTi

LOLSTi DTOM

Taking today off was rough. :o I hope that I won't feel awkward tomorrow during nogi practice.

23. LOLSTi

LOLSTi DTOM

Today was fun. Rolled around lightly with a purple belt for a LONG time working on flow from various side controls. Very helpful.

Then I worked with a newer white belt... he's getting a lot better, for sure. It's cool to see people get better when you are more experienced. :)

24. LOLSTi

LOLSTi DTOM

Open mat today.

Nothing really notable happened. More work on side control/mount escapes with higher level belts.

Unfortunately, on our last roll, my buddy ended up landing on my knee/leg at a weird angle, and pain went shooting through my knee/leg. Luckily it went away quickly, and I have little/no pain extending/contracting it now. Since I have tomorrow off BJJ, I'll take really good care of it and hope that it's fine, which I'm 99% sure it is. Phew.

Things to work on:
    • Using my outside arm to leverage on head/neck in side control intelligently to open up even more room for hip movement.
    • Maintaining side control, I'm never there because I need to work on my
    • Guard passes (as always). Get less sloppy. Only about 1,000,000,000 more guard passes before they will start to get smooth.

25. LOLSTi

LOLSTi DTOM

Well, my fucking knee still hurts to the point that I can't put any weight on it if it is fully contracted. I'll still go tonight and hopefully pick up some technique, but I can't squat or sit on my knees, or in guard, so I won't be training. :wtc:

Ugh.