A&P Rolex 24 Photog pass?

Discussion in 'Lifestyle' started by Section8, Dec 21, 2009.

1. Section8

Section8 .

Anyone here know if there is a way to apply for a photog pass to this race? I'm planning on going one way or the other with pit passes, but it would be sweet to be able to get out to the limited areas for pictures.

2. isaac86hatch

isaac86hatch This thread sucks

3. Section8

Section8 .

4. vwpilot

vwpilot New Member

They are strict, remember this track is run by NASCAR. I've been every year for years with credentials, hold Grand Am hard card credentials (full year issued by series) and STILL get a hard time each year.

Not that it cant be done, just be ready to jump through hoops.

First and foremost, you'll need a media outlet to apply for the credentials for you, they do not issue credentials to freelancers or those that just want to get cool photos.

They will have to apply on their letterhead with your job. If they've never covered the race, they'll need to do a lot of explaining, if they have, they'll need to provide examples of their past coverage.

As just a show of respect for all those that are actually working the race as paid photographers, if you're not going to actually be working or just want to do it for fun, please do not try to get credentials. You end up taking them from someone that might actually need them, you end up getting in the way of guys that actually make their living on their photos and if you're found to not be working and they find out, it just continues to give all of us a bad name and make it harder and harder to do our jobs.

Its just a sign of respect to not get in when you arent working, credentials are there for us to actually do a job, not have fun. As a fellow photographer, respect that.

I never get credentials to things i know I'm not actually working, even if I want to really badly and fill a portfolio. Its just not fair to those that are working.

off my soapbox

5. Section8

Section8 .

Thanks for the input. Never thought about it as taking a pass away from someone that would be using it to make money. I certainly don't fall into that category and would hate to be 'that guy'. My initial thought was of my love of photography and motorsports and getting great pictures.

i will do my best to get the best shots i can as a spectator then :)

6. HaloZ

HaloZ New Member

it was pretty lax when i went in 02. 03 they started to be a hard ass about fire suits and stuff. I found out when i "worked" the last GP of Houston in 08.

Thankfully, i have an "IN" if i have the chance to go.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

7. isaac86hatch

isaac86hatch This thread sucks

^^ Damn. I haven't seen a SpeedVision logo in years.

8. vwpilot

vwpilot New Member

Dont totally give up on it if you think you might want to work it. Look for outlets that might like to use your photos and want to get you in. Its a great experience.

I just wanted to point it out that if you dont have any intention of actually working, respect the job aspect of it.

There are some great places to get shots as a spectator there, most places are only a few feet behind the pro spots anyway. Just bring a nice couple foot step ladder so you can get above some of the fences. If you can get above them, you'll have almost as good access as the pros do for on track work.