GUN :rofl: Woman Arrested for bicycling in the cold

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by Shiva Chaos, Feb 28, 2008.

1. Shiva Chaos

Shiva Chaos i see boobies!

[not what you think] :mamoru:
    It was a sight that would catch anyone's attention -- a woman riding a bicycle around St. Cloud, Minn., late at night in the bitter cold. Turns out there was another reason a citizen took notice: The cyclist was carrying a gun.

Police caught up to the bicyclist a few minutes after a call came in around 11:15 p.m. CDT Monday. They found her with a shotgun strapped to her back, said Sgt. Joe Kraayenbrink.

Turns out the 22-year-old suspect is a felon and had a warrant out for her arrest, police said.

She was arrested and faces charges of a felon in possession of a firearm and carrying a firearm in a public place, as well as her outstanding warrant, Kraayenbrink said.

2. THT

THT The easy way is always mined

Apparently not a very intelligent criminal. Purge her from the gene pool!

3. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

i always wondered if you'd get arrested in Oregon for doing something like that? (assuming you were not a felon and were not otherwise prohibited from posessing a firearm).

I mean, open carry is legal, but I bet the cops will slap on some stupid charge like menacing.

4. Keesh

Keesh New Member

There's no restrictions for carrying longarms in the open as far as I know in Oregon. I think they banned airsoft guns in Beaverton but carrying a real gun down the street is still technically legal :mamoru:

5. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

yea, but that's why they have "menacing". It's their blanket-charge for when there's no law prohibiting something but the cop doesn't like it.

Technically you can get arrested for holding a bologne in a way that "puts someone in fear of immenent serious physical harm" and although "intent" is a requirement to get the conviction, cops don't give a shit about "intent" when the issue citations.

And I don't think it would be much of a stretch for someone to freak out, call cops, and have an over-zealous officer issue that citation because THEY don't like it.

6. THT

Or disturbing the peace.

7. Slick26

Slick26 Gun|Bike|Cigar|PS3|Beer |Whisky|Night Crew

Crazy ass Minnesotans.

8. MTech

MTech New Member

Except they're legally not allowed to pull that bullshit so you'd get out of it unless you're an idiot.

[FONT=Times New Roman, Times, serif]The most often threatened charges against someone open carrying is "disorderly conduct", and "terroristic threats".[/FONT]
    § 5503. Disorderly conduct.
    (a) Offense defined.--A person is guilty of disorderly conduct if, with intent to cause public inconvenience, annoyance or alarm, or recklessly creating a risk thereof, he:​
    1. engages in fighting or threatening, or in violent or tumultuous behavior;
    2. makes unreasonable noise;
    3. uses obscene language, or makes an obscene gesture; or
    4. creates a hazardous or physically offensive condition by any act which serves no legitimate purpose of the actor.​
    Though this section does not deal with firearms, due to the nature of this code, this law has been cited by officers to suppress or discourage lawful open carry. Since a person who is not licensed per §6109 or exempted by §6106(b) MUST open carry their firearms on foot in order to avoid criminal charge, nor is there any duty for anyone licensed to conceal their handgun, open carry is not disorderly conduct. The open carrying of firearms is not by itself threatening, nor does it cause a hazardous or physically offensive condition. There are also two cases that that specifically state that a person may carry a firearm openly: Commonwealth v. Ortiz and Commonwealth v. Hawkins.
    In summary, with case law to support, OC is legal and does "serve a legitimate purpose of the actor". Therefor OC can not be Disorderly Conduct per the letter of the code itself.

§ 2706. Terroristic threats.
    (a) Offense defined. A person commits the crime of terroristic threats if the person communicates, either directly or indirectly, a threat to: commit any crime of violence with intent to terrorize another; cause evacuation of a building, place of assembly, or facility of public transportation; or otherwise cause serious public inconvenience, or cause terror or serious public inconvenience with reckless disregard of the risk of causing such terror or inconvenience.
    (e) Definition.--As used in this section, the term "communicates" means conveys in person or by written or electronic means, including telephone, electronic mail, Internet, facsimile, telex and similar transmissions.​
    As with disorderly conduct, this code section has been used to suppress or discourage lawful open carry. “Convey” means to communicate, either orally or by written or electronic means. Because the open carry of firearms is not a communication as defined by this section, it cannot be terroristic threatening.
    Also, again, Commonwealth v. Hawkins 1996 clearly states that open carry, in and of itself, lacking any actual threatening or illegal behavior on the part of the person open carrying is not grounds for even a "stop and ID" by police. As such, open carry can not be anything warranting a "stop and ID" or greater reaction such as detainment or arrest.

9. JaimeZX

JaimeZX Formerly of :Sep 2001: fame - Also: Sprout Crew OT Supporter

When I was younger I strapped my Mauser to my back and bicycled to the rifle range. :dunno:

Wonder if I'd get there these days? :o

10. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

legal shmegal. Half the shit that is pulled is technically not legal... And it can really wreak your life while you're tied up in court fighting over it.

11. t1h

t1h Guest

pics? was she hot?

12. smartypants

smartypants New Member

I've never heard of someone arrested for CCW who wasn't doing something else illegal and/or stupid to attract attention to themselves

13. hsmith

hsmith OT Supporter

basically. this would have never made the news if the person wasn't a criminal already. the cop probably got a call to check it out, did so. if the person didn't have a past they would have been on their marry way

14. Slick26

I dunno, not in St. Cloud. They'll do whatever they can to make you look like a criminal.
    Its a college town and the cops love fucking with people. They get their jollies off of people going to jail for being innocent.

15. smartypants

smartypants New Member

Man, I thought you were going to make a baseless blanket statement for a minute there.:hsugh:

16. Slick26

All security guards are fat whities with small dicks that wear 5.11 tactical gear and a Spyderco knife.

17. THT

And have ballistic plates in briefcases to protect from headshots while their partner lays down cover fire.

18. Slick26

And apparently have short hair, or even shaved.

19. smartypants

smartypants New Member

Cut pretty close to the bone there huh?

20. Slick26

Security guards don't have bones. Nope, definitely boneless.

21. smartypants

smartypants New Member

I thought they were cartilaginous, like sharks. Nature's perfectly tuned killing machines in the area between Sears and the food court.

22. Paul Revere

Paul Revere OT Supporter

if by perfect killing machine you mean excellent for using a radio to get a real cop, then yes.

23. Slick26

Nah, cell phone... and not even company-issued either, personal cell phone.

24. Paul Revere

Paul Revere OT Supporter

how about this:

[​IMG]

25. smartypants

smartypants New Member

Lima
    Oscar
    Lima