Rockford or Audiobahn

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by merlinski, Jun 5, 2004.

1. merlinski

merlinski and I'm his friend, Jesus

I'm getting a sub/amp setup for my car, and am trying to decide between a few amps. For each, I'd be sending 2 channels to my 2 Rockford Fosgate HPC2206 Coaxial Speakers, which are rated at 75 W RMS (all Wattage figures are RMS)

The first is a Rockford Fosgate P4004. It's the 2004 model:
    50W x 4 Channels @ 4 Ohms
    200W x 2 Channels Bridged @ 4 Ohms
    Cost is about $250

The second is a Rockford Fosgate Power 551X. I think its the 2002 model:
    70W x 4 Channels @ 4 Ohms
    275 W x 2 Channels Bridged @ 4 Ohms
    Cost is about $250

The third is an Audiobahn A6004T, 2003 or 2004 model:
    75W x 4 Channels @ 4 Ohms
    300W x 2 Channels Bridged @ 4 Ohms
    Cost is about $175

I don't know much about the SQ differences between the Audiobahn and the Rockford P4004. I'm pretty sure the 551X would be the best of the 3, but the cost is also higher because I'd need to get subs that could handle 300 Watts RMS. This is also the case with the Audiobahn.

Does anyone have any opinions regarding which Amp would be the best value/performance?

Also, I can get an Audiobahn 10" subwoofer, in a bandpass box, for about $90 including shipping. It's supposedly rated for 300 Watts RMS. Does anyone know anything about the quality of this sub/box?

Last edited: Jun 5, 2004
  2. 04

04 Guest

While they would sound the same, I'd almost guarantee the Rockford amplifeirs would be higher quality. I suggest with going with one of them. Probably the 2002 model, as it puts out more power.

You dont have to buy subwoofers rated at 300 watts either, if you are carefull with the volume control, it shouldnt be a problem.

I would not go with the Audiobahn woofer/bandpass enclosure either.

3. merlinski

What about the Rockford 551X Amp connected to a single Rockford Punch HE2 RFP4110 Sub? The Sub is rated for 400 Watts RMS, with dual 2 Ohm voice coils that I would wire in series. Would about 275 Watts be enough to get good sound from this, or would I be better off finding a 300 Watt RMS sub?

4. 04

04 Guest

That would work fine. One thing to note is that matching amplifier power to speaker "rated power" isnt really necessary. It really depends on A LOT of factors to know how much power you really need. Speaker power ratings are just a guideline.

5. On_One

On_One Guest

6. merlinski

I don't know much about Monitor, and the deal makes me kind of suspicious of the build quality.

7. 04

04 Guest

I'm sure On_one wouldnt reccomend it if it was a piece of junk :)

8. On_One

On_One Guest

It's a quality amplifier and built by the same company as that makes Zapco. ;)

I'd run one of those any day before a Rockford or Audiobahn.

9. merlinski

Ok, moving on to subs...

Say the Amp puts out 300 Watts RMS.

Would I be better off getting a Sub that's rated for 400 Watts RMS, (HE2 RFP4110), or one that's rated for 200 Watts RMS (Punch Stage 2)?

Which one would produce louder or better sound?

Also, would I notice any difference between one RFP4110 wired for 4 Ohms, or 2 RFP4210's wired for 4 Ohms?

10. 04

04 Guest

It really depends. I would get the HE2, because it's a better woofer, but either would work fine. The HE2 would most likely be louder.

The 2 woofer setup would almost certainly be louder. Are the 2 subwoofers 12" and the single sub setup a 10"?

11. merlinski

No, both are 10"s. The RFP4210 is a DVC with 2 4-ohm coils, hence I would wire 2 for a total load of 4 Ohms. The RFP4110 is a DVC with 2 2-ohm coils, hence I would wire 1 for a total load of 4 Ohms. That's why I'm asking.

So even though the HE2 would be somewhat underpowered by a 300 Watt RMS amp, it would still probably be just as loud or louder than the Punch Stage 2?

12. On_One

On_One Guest

Might i suggest i daifferent model subwoofer.

http://www.edesignaudio.com/k.htm

For 105 you'll be very hard pressed to find a better deal. I just installed two in my ride last night and they are very impressive. Very solid output, strong low end, and sound pretty good. (definantly better than the he2) I think you would be very happy.

13. merlinski

Hmm... I'm wondering about the price, since I can get HE2's for about $60 a piece.

Another question (BTW, thanks so much for all the help, you guys really know your stuff), if I run a channel rated at 110 Watts RMS into a Coaxial speaker rated for 75W RMS, 150W Max, am I endangering the speaker at all?

Last edited: Jun 7, 2004
  14. 04

04 Guest

Yes, but keep in mind you are also endangering the speaker by running it off the headunit as well.

Bottom line is that even though it is unlikely, you could still destroy your speakers. If you keep the volume to the point where you dont hear distortion you should be fine.