GUN Robinson XCR

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by vwpilot, Mar 7, 2009.

1. vwpilot

vwpilot New Member

Anyone ever shoot one or have experience with one? I'm really tempted to get one, they've been on my radar for awhile but never really at the top of the list. I now have 4 ARs, so looking for something a bit different. I'd like to get one in 5.56 then get the 7.62 conversion.

Anyone shoot one? I have also found them in stock so no waiting.

2. kellyclan

kellyclan She only loves you when she's drunk.

I've only had a couple rounds with one. It handled nicely and had good manners. Certainly not enough to say yea/nay but enough that I'd consider one in your situation, already having a few standardized platforms and just looking for something different. That said, my preference for a change of pace would be a 556 or FS2000.

Read mixed reviews of how well they hold up to being really shaken down and kicked around. Some seem to rattle apart and some are flawless. Same for Robinson as a company. Some people seem to get great, prompt service, some say they waited forever if parts came at all.

3. vwpilot

vwpilot New Member

Right, they make a 7.62x39 conversion for it, which is basically a new bolt group and barrel. FS2000 doesnt do a whole lot for me and the 556 is cool, but for the good one, seems to be more than the XCR. I found them in stock for under $1500, which is in the same realm of a piston AR, which I might do at some point since i have three lowers in the safe.

Not set on it, just wanted to see if anyone had direct experience. It seems the earlier ones may have had issues, but it seems they've done a lot to upgrade them and the later models are working pretty reliably.

I also like the modularity of XCR in that if I want to SBR it, all I have to do is get the new barrel and drop it in once the paperwork is done, not an entire upper, plus with the piston and setting for suppressor on the gas block, seems like a 12" barrel with a suppressor would be a great SBR.

We'll see. Anyone else with input would be appreciated. No one around me stocks one so I cant really get any hands on before taking the plunge.

4. wickedgun

wickedgun New Member

i've had the pleasure to check out and use one of my mentor's and it handles very nice. his is 7.62x39

5. PorscheRacer

PorscheRacer You see this? It means not welcome

What does a XCR do better then an AR?

6. vwpilot

vwpilot New Member

Not sure it doesn anything better necessarily. It is piston driven so it should be cleaner, but as its not battle proven, its hard to judge the reliability. As I said, I have four ARs, so just looking for something different and I'm not an AK fan at all.

7. PorscheRacer

PorscheRacer You see this? It means not welcome

Why not just save until the scar comes out?