Robert Jordan's Wheel of Time Series

Discussion in 'Entertainment' started by CoCo, May 3, 2004.

1. CoCo

CoCo ...is a Queer Don!! OT Supporter

Sooo, I just started Crown Of Swords this weekend!!! Robert Jordan Rocks!!! I never was into the whole fantasy book bit, but a friend first purchased me the entire Sword of Truth series for Christmas and I finished that by Feb (I had some free time…lol). I luved that book and the characters, and then my friend said that if I enjoyed Richard and his lot, then I would luv Rand...

He was right.

For my birthday (Feb 14th) he purchased me most of Jordan's Wheel of Time series (from Eye of the World to Path of Daggers), so I will have to buy Winter's Heart and Crossroads of Twilight when I done PoD (or get someone to get it for me...hehe). So I just wanted to say that I'm starting to enjoy this fantasy book thing. I think it has to do with prolonged character development, or maybe it reflects back on my other passion...comics (Marvel only).
    Anyway, hi. [​IMG]

Aaaand I see of lot of similarities between WoT and SoT...

2. Acesn8s

Acesn8s The Deadman's Hand

I started on Jordan's series back when it first came out in the late 80s. When Goodkind started releasing his novels I was excited, but after the 3rd book I thought they were too much like Jordan's WOT novels. It soured me and I stopped reading them.

When you are all caught up with Jordan's WOT books, try George R. R. Martin's Song of Fire and Ice series, the first book is Game of Thrones.

Amazon link

3. CoCo

Hmmm... I guess my friend started me in the order he did for a reason. Maybe reading them Jordan then Goodkind leaves you with a bad taste because you got used to the (more complicated) system of magic that Jordan uses versus the lose system that Goodkind wove...

How many books are in the Song of Fire and Ice series?

4. Kydaimon

Kydaimon Guest

WoT is an awesome series!

5. CoCo

I like it... My friend keeps teasing me. Obviously I don't want him to give things away, but I get my ideas and voice them and rant and rave, and he just teases me enough to wanna read more and faster...hehe

6. CoCo

My friend says that he purchased the Song of Fire and Ice series, but that he hasn't started them yet... hehe

7. Acesn8s

It's quite possible that he did just that. I didn't have the option simple because Jordan started his series so much earlier than Goodkind did.

Right now there are 3 books published in the SoFaI series. Martin is working on the 4th book, and there will probably be 1 or 2 more novels after that.

Currently Martin is my favorite author, he knock Jordan off the top spot.

Oh,

Here's a great site to check while reading the WoT series. All the characters and I mean ALL the characters are hyperlinked to their own bio pages. It comes in handy as you go further and further into the series.

Encyclopedea Wheel of Time

8. CoCo

Is the site a spoiler?? My friend is good about not spoiling for me...

9. 01000101

01000101 New Member

10. sucker

sucker shifty

:werd: I have read all (that has been written/released) in Wheel of Time and Sword of Truth (I wish they would hurry up and finish already :p) and have just started with A Song of Ice anf Fire and am loving it so far

11. Acesn8s

It can be. It's basically a summary of every chapter in the series. You pick the book and then the chapter and the summary opens up. Then you can click on any of the names, items, plot points and open up a further summary about that topic.

12. Acesn8s

13. 01000101

01000101 New Member

yes, very much so on the faq. only read it if youre up to date with the books that are out. and if you dont actually read the part before the faq, it says that its a collection of the results of discussions from a usenet group, an that jordan says 1/3 is right, 1/3 is a little off, and 1/3 is wrong, so grain of salt. take it as a collection of information and theories to form your own conclusions. still and awesome read tho. i copied the html zip (its on that site) to my pda and read it when i get bored at work. some of the entries are a few lines and some are in depth discussions about psycology =D

14. CoCo

Oh, I had forgotten to update you all... hehe, so I finished Crown of Swords last Friday, and now I'm about half way finished Path of Daggers. All that I can say is wow. WOW. It has been soooo crazy, and wonderful, and exciting!!

PoD is a very quick read. It seems to stick with a particular character for chunks of chapters, making me wanna keep reading on until I end a chunk. For the first time in a long while, I'm reading about Egwene again. And boy have I missed her.

I've been making all kinds of predictions and theories about things in the series, that my friend tells me will surprise me when I learn the truth about certain things (he will not confirm or deny my speculations, but I get the vibe from him that I'm hitting some on the nail).

I'll be sure to keep you all posted...

:wavey:

15. Biomechanoid

Biomechanoid New Member

:cool:

I love that series and have read all of the books that have been published so far... it seems like it's going to be a 14 book series from the way things are headed, but it might me longer still. dunno. personally some of the books were kinda bleh... a lot of descriptive writing, but not a lot of plot development, and others just grabbed you and threw you on a fast-track roller coaster. overall though I'll probably re-read the series again before the next book gets published.

16. There's currently 3 books in the fire and ice series, about a thousand pages each. Will be 6 when he is done writing, but he's taking a really long time on the 4th book. I read the first two WOT books, and I can honestly say that Robert Jordan is a hack author compared to Martin - he is easily the best fantasy author out today. If you're that far into the WOT series you might as well finish it because you have invested so much time and money into it, but as soon as you are done you should pick up Game Of Thrones.

17. Acesn8s

You could easily say that about most authors when comparing them to Martin. Back in the lat 80s when Jordan released Eye of the World I thought it was the best fantasy series I had ever read. He knocked David Eddings off as my favorite author.

18. CoCo

okay, so I'm totally done the WoT series, and I'm left wanting... I'm not used to having to wait to rear the next book, because my friend just got me everything in one shot. I luved the series, and now I cannot wait to find out exactly who betrayed Egwene, and what they are gonna do to her (and now that she has turned the chain into cuendillar, how is she gonna open the gates once she has kicked Elaida out??). And the next book isn't spos to come out till next year--I can't wait that long!!! And if Jordan allows her to be stilled (and then Healed, weaker in the power), I will go off!

aww...

So, I'm reading New Spring now, and I read The Strike at Shayol Ghul online, and it was very informative...

19. Acesn8s

Now that you're all caught up you should check out the WOT FAQ

http://linuxmafia.com/jordan/0_admin/0.01_intro.html

and the Encyclopedia WoT.

http://www.photeus.com:8090/~ewot/

On a side note, if Egwene was healed it is possible that she could be restored to full strength . . . provided a male healed her.

Nyneave healed Logain to full strength and Siuan and Leane only to 1/2 strength. Damer Flinn healed Irgain to full strength. ;)

20. sucker

sucker shifty

Was going to say the same myself. I am very much looking forward to the next book, and have been since the release of the last book...
    waiting game sucks, let's play hungry hungry hippos

21. CoCo

Oh, I have been all through the Encyclopedia WoT, and I luved it...

As for a male Healing Egwene if she is stilled, I was talking to my friend about that, because I don't remember if Irgain was healed to full strength or not--the captive/apprenticed Sisters were all kept away from Irgain to comment on it. All that they knew, and were astounded by, was that she could channel again. But I assumed that a male could completely Heal stilling, because the weave was earth and fire, which men dominated more so... Anyway, if that is the case, I can get over her being stilled IF Rand or Damer Healed her.

22. CoCo

I don't know how you all did this; I was spoiled, getting the books all in one lump sum.

23. Acesn8s

I started in the late 80s :wtc:

I've actually filled the time with other series and rereading the WoT and taking notes. Then I tripped over the Ency WoT and realized that it covered what all my note taking did and then some. The WoT FAQ answered whatever the Ency didn't. :bowdown:

24. CoCo

I was bombarding my friend with all of my notes, and he was like, OMG...just read. and dammit, I was right on most things.

25. Acesn8s

:rofl:

Now that you're all caught up you should check out George R R Martin's series a Song of Fire and Ice. The Game of Throne's is the first book. :bigthumb: