Roadtripping car

Discussion in 'OT Driven' started by hyper, Jun 5, 2005.

1. hyper

hyper Member

OT what is a good road tripping car/suv w/ good gas milieage and is safe to go in snowy areas ( for snowboarding ). What does everyone here drive for road trippin' ?

2. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

new/used? pricerange? etc. etc.

with nothing else to go on, assuming you need a good size, but not huge, with a REAL SUV, I'd say trailblazer.

3. hyper

hyper Member

probaly under 10k, nothing crazy for off roading worst i'll do is drive on snow to the ski resort ;l)

4. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

chevy blazer. you can get them CHEAP, and they're good rigs. Around 21mpg hwy, v6, 4wd. Plus a roof rack and a lot of room for friends and gear!

5. Mr. Jack

Mr. Jack Go Fast - Turn Left

Subaru, late 80's EFI wagon, with Dual Range(Hi-Lo) 4wd. Cheap shit, ship to fix, good snow car. good mileage. Early 90's loyale (no dual range) but push button 4wd and efi. Or any other Subaru that has a rear differential.
    I prefer the old shit cuz i like to lift em and throw TSL's on em and beat the shit out of em. They dont stop. The Lo range helps and so does not having a center diff splitting the torque. On the older subies you get an even 50/50 split.

6. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

wow this is a HORRIBLE recommendation. First of all, subaru :greddy:. Secondly, late 80's :greddy:. The car is cheap because it's crap. It's somewhat cheap to fix, but it's going to always be breaking -- and a lot of cheap fixes amount to a lot of money, in the end. And they are not even good snow cars.... I see suburus of all ages stuck on the side of the roads in the winter... I see more subies stuck than any other make, in fact.

7. woodchuck

woodchuck Member

Diesel Suburban, XJ, ZJ, Blazer, Older 4Runner, There are at least a dozen suitable vehicles.

8. Mr. Jack

Mr. Jack Go Fast - Turn Left

well in that case i vote for XJ with the 4.0.

9. cmsurfer

cmsurfer ºllllllº

Ditto...

I just picked up a '96 Cherokee last month for about $3k. I get about 300 miles/tank. Has a roof rack on it, plenty of room...

10. strubbe

strubbe New Member

I've been on a few trips in my friend's Durango. Nice ride - tooons of room, comfortable etc.

11. Ivy Mike

Ivy Mike New Member

Yeah, Subaru's suck...that must be why there are still tons of em on the road. How many 80's GM and Ford cars do you still see kicking around? Maybe the Subbies are up in the snow more often than other makes because they can actually get around. You can't drive through everything a truck can, but they aren't meant to either.

I'd buy a little newer Subbie just to get a few nicer touches and smoother, more efficient AWD, but you are running price up at that point. A late 90s-early 00's Outback or Forester would do very well though and I'll bet you can get it for not too much money.

If you want an SUV, I'd second the vote for the Blazer. The 4.3 V6 is a great motor and the 4x4 system is stupidly simple. They don't break unless you beat the bejesus out of them. Decent room in them as well if you get the 4-door model. Trannies are solid as well. Replace the exhaust on it though. GM thought it would be funny to use a trashcan sized muffler under them to keep em quiet. A simple custom cat-back will drop several pounds and keep your muffler from getting ripped off on unseen obstacles. A muffler shop can put on together for ~$150 with a generic turbo muffler.

12. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

As for the subbies, there's a shitload of them in s.oregon. But my fwd volvo has always gone where the awd subbie couldn't.

13. Ivy Mike

Ivy Mike New Member

Thats nice....seriously. really nice.

The Subes are still better than any POS American car of the same timeline and will last in adverse conditions.

The way I see it:
    1. Subbie for car like characteristics with some adverse weather and condition capability
    2. GM Blazer/Jimmy for cheap, reliable, go-nearly-anywhere-the-subbie-won't transportation.

14. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

volvo > subbie. /thread.

15. Ivy Mike

Ivy Mike New Member

not in the years he's asking for.

16. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

he never mentioned years... only a price : $10k

For $4-8k you can get a NICE 850GLT... It'll kick the shit out of any comprable subbie.

17. Ivy Mike

Ivy Mike New Member

$10K will also get you a 2000 Subaru Outback Wagon from a dealer.

He'd save a few thou by going private party. The Volvo will give you a nicer interior, but I'll take Subbie's modern AWD anyday of the week.

In fact, I kinda like that car...hmmm...the GTI is gettin a little old.

18. LabradorBoy

LabradorBoy OT Supporter

If the guy is road trippin it would - to me - mean that he's travelling from a considerable distance away over a highway, to then travel a relatively short distance in possibly snowy conditions.

With that reasoning, I would lean more towards the car-type AWD vehicle than the SUV 4wd-type vehicle for this fellow. Of course, that depends highly on his specific needs.

I second the AWD Subaru Outback/Forester recommendation if he's in the 10k range, although a Volvo wagon is also a good choice, jollyogre. The Subaru has a great track record and the added snow-covered-highway capability of AWD would tip the scales for me personally....