Roadrunner Conection Problems

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by Gotcha38, Jan 22, 2006.

1. Gotcha38

Gotcha38 OT Supporter

We had our Roadrunner service started yesterday. The cable installer came and installed the cables, and a WebStar cable modem. He also changed or setup the network on my mom's desktop. I wasn't here so I didn't get to see exactly what he did. When I plug the cable from the router into my laptop I get this message :
    [​IMG]

So of course I clicked repair. Windows tried to do something with my IP address and then I got this message:

[​IMG]

I need to know how to set up this network connection on my laptop. There is no problem with the incomming service, because the internet works fine on the desktop. I've got a screenshot of all the network settings on the desktop if that is needed, but I don't exactly know what is safe to post for everyone to see.

Any help I can get is appreciated. I don't have a clue where to start. Thanks!

2. x6ftundx

x6ftundx New Member

well your problem is that you can't do what you want with RR without buying something else...

RR makes sure that you cable modem only talks to one computer. What you have to do is get a Linksys wireless dls/cable modem then spoof the IP address. Spoofing means that the cable modem thinks that your linksys box is the computer. That way you can hook as many computers up to it as you want. If you get the wireless one then you can surf wirelessly.

Just look on the linksys site and buy one and hook it up. It's really easy with no real computer knowledge needed. They used to be hard and now it's just a push of a few buttons...

goodluck

3. Gotcha38

Gotcha38 OT Supporter

I was afraid of that. So this is what I need?
    http://www.linksys.com/servlet/Satellite?childpagename=US%2FLayout&packedargs=c%3DL_Product_C2%26cid%3D1115416822341&pagename=Linksys%2FCommon%2FVisitorWrapper

I know I saw this one at BB yesterday. What is involved in spoofing the IP address and etc? Any chance Time Warner will shit themselves if they realize thats what I'm doing?

4. Aimless

Aimless Resident drunkey

:ugh: RR doesn't give 2 shits if you use a router or not. Spoof the IP address? What the hell are you talking about?

Do you mean from the router or do you mean from the cable modem?

5. Gotcha38

Gotcha38 OT Supporter

I don't have a router yet. I was going to get a wireless router to go inline after the cable modem that TW installed. I unplugged the network cable from the cable modem to the desktop, and plugged it into my laptop.

6. Apothis

Apothis New Member

I have a Linksys wireless router and am unable to use it with RR (thus, my laptop remains offline). I can not get dhcp on anything other than my main tower, period. Cloning my tower's MAC address made no difference; no matter what I do RR dhcp will not talk to my router or laptop, just the tower. This is bullshit quite frankly. Their cable is way faster than my old dsl, which is nice, but the dsl never gave me this kind of grief. I would not recommend RR to people who have or want more than one computer.

7. Gotcha38

Gotcha38 OT Supporter

If you contact them they can setup their own little wireless deal for your 2nd computer, but its an extra $10 a month AFAIK.

8. Apothis

Apothis New Member

I'm aware of that, and I say to hell with them for it. LIke I said, dsl never gave me grief over it. There's no technical reason why I can't do it other than Time Warner being greedy dicks, charging for something that should be free.

9. Gotcha38

Gotcha38 OT Supporter

Exactly. I'm in the same boat. I'm gonna ask the IT guys at work because our job all supplies it for their home use. Hopefully one of them will know. Until then I hope that one of these OT computer gurus will give some insight! PLEASE! :x:

10. Gotcha38

Gotcha38 OT Supporter

Bump. I know some of the day crew IT guys have an answer. :wavey:

11. My Dixie Wrecked

My Dixie Wrecked STFU & get the ball!!! OT Supporter

I have RR and have a wireless netgear router and my fiancee's laptop works fine. And I'm not paying extra. :dunno:

12. XR250rdr

XR250rdr OT Supporter

Why should they lease you hardware and support it for free?

TW doesnt give two shits if you have a router. There is a configuration problem somewhere and you just need to find out where it is. Why not start by verifying everything is connected correctly, then check the router's setup. If you changed the password on the router the technician may have just unhooked it.

13. Gotcha38

Gotcha38 OT Supporter

I don't have any router. I've just got the cable modem they installed. I am guessing its some kind of settings on my computer keeping it from connecting. Any ideas?

14. Apothis

Apothis New Member

There shouldn't be a need for anymore hardware than what I already have. I shouldn't need to lease squat and they shouldn't have to support it. There is no reason they would even need to know.

Plugin cable modem to my router > router to my computers. Use external dhcp for router, internal dhcp (or static) for home lan. End of story. It's that fucking simple if they weren't preventing it. There is nothing wrong with my connections or configuration, and it worked fine when I had SBC DSL. It has been suggested that I try cloning my tower's MAC on my router to "trick" the RR service. Clone was successful, but didn't help any and I'm pretty much out of options now. I can either pay them extra, which won't happen, or switch service back when I get around to it.

15. XR250rdr

XR250rdr OT Supporter

I got you mixed up with the other guy. Usually you have to reboot the modem every time you connect it to a different PC.

16. XR250rdr

XR250rdr OT Supporter

But they aren't preventing anything. Heck RR doesnt even block inbound port 80 connections in some (if not all) markets. The $10/mo is to lease their router and they will support it. If you bring your own its free.

SBC DSL uses PPOe, RR uses straight DHCP w/o authentication. You cant just unhook the router from the DSL modem, connect it to the cable modem and expect it to work.

But if the desktop successfully aquires a 192.168.1.x address from the Linksys and connects to the internet, but the laptop isnt getting an IP from router, then the problem lies between the router and laptop rather than between the internet connection and router.

17. Gotcha38

Gotcha38 OT Supporter

:cool:Same thing one of the IT guys from work told me. I didn't realize. :o Anyways, he told me some stuff to do so hopefully I'll get all this resolved tonight. Going to pick up a Linksys wireless router after work. If this works out I'll post a resolution tonight from my laptop. :x:

18. XR250rdr

XR250rdr OT Supporter

Good luck. I :love: my WRT54GS so far.

19. Gotcha38

Gotcha38 OT Supporter

I picked up a Linksys from Best Buy on the way home yesterday. Hooked it up, and all the computers have the intranets now, kinda. The desktop is working like normal, but the wireless is fucking up on the laptop. Its on/off/on/off like every 15-20 secconds. I'm just using the stock internal wireless card on my IBM Thinkpad I got back in 2003.

Any clue what could be causing that? Its connected for about 15 secconds, then disconnected, then it finds the network again, and reconnects, then disconnects. Its driving me nuts.

I did try changing the channel on the router a few times, but I didn't go though everyone of them because it was like midnight, and I was sleepy.

20. Apothis

Apothis New Member

I'll swallow some pride here and say I owe some thanks to XR250rdr. I had originally become impatient and there is one thing you said that I had to think back on. You mentioned having to reboot the router when you switch pcs. Now I'd rebooted mine plenty, but upon thinking about it, I didn't remember doing it "every" time (see: at the times when it may have actually worked) ..it's something I couldn't confidently rule out yet. So I went over things again and made sure everything was right this time. It worked. My Linksys Wireless-G WRT54G router now has an external IP, and I have a LAN IP for my computer(s).

21. Seiz

Seiz ヽ(´ー`)┌

i've had that problem it sucks , you prolly have a router, restart it. (on/off)

22. XR250rdr

XR250rdr OT Supporter

Apothis glad you got it working.

Gotcha, interference from another wireless network is my first though. But almost no one moves theirs away from the default channel (Ch 6 IIRC) so just moving it period would fix it if that is the case. How far from the router are you?

23. Gotcha38

Gotcha38 OT Supporter

I doub't that anyone in my neighborhood has a wireless network too. I'm about 75% certain that most don't even have computers. I did try changing it to channel 1 and channel 10 just in case, with no difference in the signal. The routers are on top of the computer hutch in our spare bedroom, and my room is on the other side of the wall, litterally 10 ft from the router probably. I was sitting in the computer room with my laptop in my lap and it was doing the same thing. I'll try cycling power to the router tonight. Hopefully someone else will have dealt with this problem before and have an answer.

24. Gotcha38

Gotcha38 OT Supporter

That fixed the signal on/off problem you were having? Linksys router?

25. Gotcha38

Gotcha38 OT Supporter

Ok, I cycled power to the Cable Modem, Linksys Router, and both computers, and the wireless is still on off /on /off /on /off.