MMA "road work" question

Discussion in 'OT Bar' started by Kenny Dalglish, Oct 8, 2008.

1. Kenny Dalglish

Kenny Dalglish New Member

So I run a few times a week.. 1.5-2 miles at a 10 min mile pace..
    what should I be aiming for? For you fighters out there what do you guys do?

2. ilduce

ilduce New Member

Intervals. You often arent just going at a slow steady pace in a fight, match, etc so running at the same leisurely pace wont do much enhance your cardio.

3. Kenny Dalglish

do you have some sort of regiment u follow? is endurance running not even worth doing or switch it up?

4. TheEspionage

TheEspionage New Member

I aim for 1.5 miles in under 10 min.

Other times I run I just jog, with sprinting thrown inbetween .

5. checkii

checkii ฝรั่งตาน้ำข้าว

i'm no cardio stud, and am currently struggling to get back into things, but here's my opinion:

2 mile run minimums. I personally find anything less to not be worth the sweat. Once a week i like to do a 5 - 6 mile run.

My 2 - 3 mile runs I try and keep a pace of 8 - 8.5 minute miles steady with some light intervals of speeding up, and few slowing down past 8.5

My 5 - 6 mile runs I try and stay steady around 9 minute miles.

Always ending all my runs with a sprint to burnout at the end.

if i push myself harder I tend to get tired and cut my runs shorter, any slower and I dont feel like its worth the effort.

It's all going to come down to your size and abilities, some people are just good runners, look at someone like Fedor. I am pretty light and am terrible at running. Find where you are comfortable and slowly push past your comfort levels.

Also, something everyone always ignores is proper technique when running. You will last a LOT longer if you run with proper technique.

6. Optamix

Optamix New Member

This is only kind of true. Running will lower your resting heart beat and allow your body to drop its heart rate quicker between rounds.

I aim for a sub 14 min two mile while training or a 6.xx mile. You should not be able to move when you finish your run. If you feel like you can run another lap if you absolutely had to, you didn't push hard enough. You should finish the last 200 meters in a dead sprint.

7. checkii

checkii ฝรั่งตาน้ำข้าว

I just dont like hiit. it works, i just dont enjoy it. But one thing my coach makes me do is he'll set up cones and make me run suicides for the length of a fight, so 3 rounds of 3 minutes of suicides. It helps with conditioning a lot, but beyond anything, it helps you learn how to pace yourself.

8. teep

teep New Member

:werd: road work isn't just for the gas tank. Keep up with what you're doing and choose one day for a long run. if you're only running 2 miles at a 10 minute pace i'd say start with 3-4 miles for your long run. every week/2 weeks, depending on how you feel, up it by a mile or so.

9. ilduce

ilduce New Member

youre right but a 10 minute mile pace isnt going to do that. Intervals also lower your resting heart rate. It simulates a match about as best as you can. Look at what you wrote, sub 14 or 7 minutes or less is a good clip to be running at, much different than 10 minutes.

10. ilduce

ilduce New Member

I couldnt agree more. It sucks as do the suicides but even those are a form of interval training...which still sucks.

11. checkii

checkii ฝรั่งตาน้ำข้าว

You wouldnt think stopping and starting would drain you so bad, but that shit is hell [​IMG]

12. Kenny Dalglish

so it sounds like around 2 miles close to a 7 min/mile pace is a good thing to aim for.. how often do you guys run? i train in the morning is it better for me to run in the AM or after training?

13. Optamix

Optamix New Member

I run 2 miles a day 5 days a week right after work around 5:30.

Then I have bjj/mma on Monday/Wed/Thurs at 8. It gives me plenty of time to get back from the track, take a shower and eat and get to the gym and feel ok.

14. checkii

checkii ฝรั่งตาน้ำข้าว

in the morning before you eat is always optimal for weightloss, but imo, its most important to do whatever is easiest to maintain. So for Timmay its runnign after work, he keeps it routine, thats best.

just find a pace that works and constantly improve it. shooting for timmay right away will leave you winded with no money and a giant car payment.

15. Kenny Dalglish

:mamoru:

16. Optamix

Optamix New Member

:hs:

17. Titus

Titus New Member

i like to throw in 2 stadium miles once a week. run the bleachers as i'm doing my laps around the track... makes running a 2 miles much harder.