GUN Road Trip from CA to TX

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by Sardaukar, Jun 30, 2008.

1. Sardaukar

Sardaukar Active Member

I already completed the first part of the trip. Made it to the Dallas/Ft. Worth area from the San Francisco area in 38 hours including stops. Man that was a long drive. My kids' grandparents were very surprised when we arrived. :bigthumb:

To keep this firearms related...

Since I do not possess a CC in AZ, CA, NM, or TX. What are my options for transporting my pistol? In CA, I am required to keep it locked up in the trunk with the ammunition stored separately. How are the laws in the other states mentioned? Is open carry legal in AZ and NM? Would it be lawful for a non resident to do so in those states? I already know that this is not an option in TX.

Thanks for helping my lazy/tired out self out. :mamoru:

2. SlowTA367

SlowTA367 New Member

I don't know if its different for nonresidents, but in TX its legal to carry in your vehicle (without a permit) as long as the weapon is concealed.

I don't see why it would be any different for a nonresident :dunno:

As far as on your person, you obviously already know the answer to that.

3. Sardaukar

Sardaukar Active Member

Thanks! Good to know.

A Department of Public Safety cruiser was checking me out on I-10, but left when he saw my CA license plate. My brother tells me their your equivalent of the DMV? :dunno:

4. SlowTA367

SlowTA367 New Member

Yeah DPS is our DMV and highway patrol. The Texas Rangers are actually a division of the DPS as well.

Also, that law has only been in effect since last September, so I'm sure some officers are still unfamiliar with it. Either way, you should still be ok, because the previous law stated that you had to be "traveling" to carry a handgun in your vehicle.

5. cabriolet

cabriolet ...

Open carry is legal in NM, but I wouldn't do it in Albuquerque, too many ignorant cops who will arrest your ass and let the courts sort it out later.

Not encouraging anyone to break the law or anything, but I CC'd for 2 years in ABQ before getting a permit with no problems.

6. Sardaukar

Sardaukar Active Member

Sweet. Thanks guys.