Road Runner - Turning off the cable modem

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by BinaryMadman, Mar 2, 2007.

1. BinaryMadman

BinaryMadman New Member

Ok, I'm a total airhead when it comes to broadband internet (been on dial-up for ages) so I was wondering if you guys could help. If I unplug the cable modem, to move it to another room, would it be able to go back online after plug it back in or would I have to call tech support to have someone set it up again?

2. neonwheels

neonwheels New Member

It'll be fine...

Just give it a couple minutes so that it can obtain an IP address.

3. JayC71

JayC71 Guest

Werd. It'll just go through it's boot-up process and use DHCP to obtain an IP address once again. You can turn it off and on all you want.

4. mace

mace i don't read

It might not work in the new room if there are too many splits in the cable. It won't hurt to try, but you might get connection issues and slow speed. There's a reason why cable modems are installed on the first split.

5. dorkultra

dorkultra OT's resident crohns dude OT Supporter

yeah, you might just be better off running a long ethernet cable or setting up a router and wireless. especially if it doesn't work

my cable modem wouldn't work after the first split, shitty signal to begin with anyways...it would drop about 4 times a week. happy i got rid of it

dsl has never dropped since i got it

6. BinaryMadman

BinaryMadman New Member

There is only one split in the living room, one goes to my only TV and the other to the modem. The bedroom, where I plan to move it, has nothing plugged in it. I should get wireless anyways, I only have a laptop. I've tried not to get wireless because i live in an apartment and I wouldn't know enough about it to be sure if it's secured or if anyone would be able to hop on and use my road runner connection, slowing it down.

7. lolerskates

lolerskates New Member

if you get linksys wireless g setting up a secured connection is easy, just follow the on screen instructions. Its all step by step