GUN Road Rage incident the other day

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by Jon91SE, Mar 7, 2008.

1. Jon91SE

Jon91SE OT Supporter

So I accidentally cut someone off in the mall parking lot the other day. He layed on his horn and that should have been the end of it ....... wrong

He follows me around and i just find a spot to sit in to see what he does. Well he blocked me in and got out of the car towards my window. My gf was going to get out not realizing he was there and I told her to get back in, locked the doors, and grabbed my cell phone. He came to my window pretty heated and yelling. I proceeded to tell him that it was an accident, im sorry, and to just let it go. I told him he needed to relax or I would call the police.

He stood there blabbering for a for few seconds before finally driving away.
    Now I decided not to carry my Glock that day due to the clothing I was wearing. I felt I handled it well and never would have pulled the Glock out but it raised some interesting questions.

If he didn't go away and started banging on the window, would anyone show their gun? Would you reveal it or actually point it? Remember I was blocked in and could not just back out.

I was ready to dial 911 but even in the best case scenario it would have taken several minutes.

Cliffs : road rager approaches my window and wants to fight. I sit tight with my cell phone and wait it out. He leaves. Did not carry this day. What would it take for you to reveal or point in that situation had he not left?

2. bigboostdsm

bigboostdsm New Member

In TN Castle Law extends to our vehicles, so yes I would have at least pulled it out and had it in my lap. I wouldn't have gotten out looking for a fight, but I'd sure as hell have it ready just in case.

3. Jon91SE

Jon91SE OT Supporter

Would you be concerned about him either escalating his anger or even going to the police himself saying you pointed a gun?

4. JGAC

JGAC Vin Diesel is.... OT Supporter

I don't carry nor do I own, but it would take a lot of aggression to get me to even hint at it.

5. Jon91SE

Jon91SE OT Supporter

I doubt he realized just what he could have been getting himself into as do most road ragers

6. Soybomb

Soybomb New Member

I think you might have mall security video on your side at a mall. If the cameras caught him rolling up behind you and walking up to your car, its not looking good for his claim that you were to blame. You did the right thing, if he started trying to get into the car, its time for the gun to come out.

I imagine once he realizes that it isn't a "i'll beat you up game" I think most people would quickly get back into their car.

The only thing I'd consider is maybe dialing the police sooner. If things did take a turn for the worse I'd want my "get away from my car, quit trying to break into my car" and the sound of his yelling and pounding on tape if it actually turned to having to use a gun.

7. JGAC

JGAC Vin Diesel is.... OT Supporter

Here's a quick question for you CC people:

If you are in such a situation how do you present yourself? Do you go for the draw and present it to him, draw and chamber (if you don't already carry chambered).

Does where you carry affect how you do it? Side of pant, back of pant, pocket? IE, if you carry on the side you could lift your shirt over it, and put your hand on it as such a police officer would do before drawing.

:dunno:

8. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

I would not have pulled.... If you're in a car, you need to drive away unless it's not reasonable to do so. Start driving, and get on the cell to 911.

9. springy101

springy101 When god comes and calls me to his kingdom, I'll t

But he said he was blocked in.

10. bigboostdsm

bigboostdsm New Member

If he's going to escalate the situation it will be done whether I've got a gun or not. I'm just preparing for the worst possible outcome. If he's coming up to my door and has me blocked in, you can bet I'd be in reasonable fear of my life...no telling what he may do next.

TN is an OC state, so having it not concealed isn't anything to worry about. I would be on the phone with the police already and I would be prepared to protect myself / whoever was with me.

11. bigboostdsm

bigboostdsm New Member

In that situation I would just take it out and put it on my lap. I carry with one in the pipe.

One of the reasons I would have it in my lap is because of where I carry. I can get to it while sitting in my truck, but it wouldn't be quick and it wouldn't' be graceful. I'd rather have it ready if the need arose, than have to fumble around panicking when this guy is trying to bash in my window.

I wouldn't get it out as a scare tactic as I don't believe that we should use our firearms as a means to frighten someone. I would get it out as a way to protect myself should the need arise (which is why I'm carrying in the first place).

12. KIDRR

KIDRR Duck dog>* OT Supporter

I would probably have gotten out and beat the shit out of him. Unless of course he was bigger than 6'3" 250lbs, in that case I would probably just drive away. :mamoru:

13. sneakyjesus

sneakyjesus New Member

carry your damn gun

14. Paul Revere

Paul Revere OT Supporter

if he escalates his anger and puts you in fear of your life, deadly force is probably acceptable.

as for showing the gun, call the police immediately after it happens. think of when you're a kid and you're fighting with your sibling: whoever runs to mom first gets believed.

15. BROKE

BROKE Mr. Selfdestruct

id put my hand on the gun in its holster and make damn sure he saw it, if he continues i draw and keep it at low ready position till he figures out its not worth it

16. jeepilot

jeepilot Banned

as soon as he starts try to get into the car, or even touching it, the pistol would be breaking leather as I'm on the phone with police. I wouldn't point it at him, but i'd draw. I'd put it in my lap, and let it be known to him that he needs to return to his car immediately, and the the police have been called. If he tries to enter, point and continue to call out stop.

Remember though, you can't pull the trigger unless there's a disparity of force, or he has a weapon. Don't know how that works with Castle Doctrine.

17. w1ndsurfer

w1ndsurfer Member

Once he gains entry to the vehicle he is in your "castle" and you may do as you will to protect yourself. I don't know exactly where that boundary is, though. That is something I would like to know as well.

18. T0nyGTSt

T0nyGTSt New Member

what about if you deliberately flashed your holstered pistol?

eg. your jacket or shirt lifted up and he saw your gun

you never pulled it out of your holster? not exactly brandishing but 99% of people would gtfo

19. JaimeZX

JaimeZX Formerly of :Sep 2001: fame - Also: Sprout Crew OT Supporter

Sounds like you handled it well.

1) Always carry
    2) Always carry condition 1
    2a) Make sure your holster is a quality one that allows for safe C1 carry
    3) If I were carrying and he kept that shit up I might put it on my lap as others have said. And call the cops.

20. skeletor25rs

skeletor25rs Yetis & Deer

I think the main thing you did wrong was pull your car into a position where you could be trapped, but I understand how busy mall parking lots can be. What were you driving and what was he driving?

21. mzmtg

mzmtg New Member

I always park way the hell away from everyone else. Mainly to avoid door dings, but for this reason also.

When in my car, I keep the gun tucked between my seat and the console.

In the situation posted here, I would have left it there. It’s easy to access and partially visible. I wouldn’t have to touch the gun for him to know I had it. Maybe he would see it on his own and back off. If I had to draw, it would be quick.

Win-win

22. Finest

Finest OG #93

I would have used pepper spray.

Oh wait....

23. [DWI]

[DWI] Master of Nothing

IN the situation you were in I would not have done anything with a gun, now that entire picture changes as soon as it turns to something physical, banging on the window hard, attempting to open the door, basically anything that shows that it is escalating from a yelling match to a physical attack.

The gun should not come into play until you are justified in using it, hell the little reminder card that comes with FL permits clearly states, never use a gun for leverage, which is exactly what showing a gun without any intent of using it or not being a situation where using it is justified.

Since you had a passenger in the car (you GF) I would have given them police calling duties, its kind of hard to draw a gun talking on a cell phone.

I have to say your biggest mistake was knowing he was following you and still deciding to park in a position that left you with no route of escape, if you hadn't know he was following you I can understand, but doing the "just to see what he does" thing, should have thought that out better. After all it is always best to avoid the confrontation and failing that leaving yourself a way to get out.

Cliffs: you set yourself up for it, gun does not come into play until you are justified and willing to use it (clear threat of bodily harm, forceable felony, or death) then it is pointed and most definitely not used for leverage or "Banished."

24. fatmoocow

fatmoocow bored OT Supporter

In a state with open carry, my carry would probably have become a little more open when he approached the window.

The real lesson is being more aware of what's going on when you accidentally piss someone off. If some ahole is following you don't just park wherever. In this case stopping right in front of the mall in a very public area where you can't be blocked in would be the way to go. Heck just keep on driving to the police station if one's close by. Most people wont start shit right in front of the police.

25. GlobeGuy

GlobeGuy New Member

Make 4 right turns, if he's still on you then call the cops and let them know you made 4 right turns and this goon is still on you.