Risen...

Discussion in 'Gamers' Pulse' started by CodeX, Oct 7, 2009.

1. CodeX

CodeX Guest

Is actually a really good game.

I'm sure no one has heard of it, its pretty obscure and just came out last week I think. It's kind of half adventure/half RPG style with a really nice real time combat system, like oblivions only better. In fact it reminds me of a cross between oblivion and zelda in terms of gameplay, and with the dialog/plot/quests of more hardcore RPG's. It's also nice that all the dialog, and there is TONS of dialog, is voice acted, even your characters.

It begins when you wash up on a beach after your ship goes down in a storm, at first it reminded me of that stranded desert island survival game on the DS who's name I can't remember right now. You find another survivor, some woman who, after 15+ hours into the game doesn't seem to have any real role after the first 30 minutes... so I don't know what the deal is with that yet lol.

You start with literally nothing, your first weapon is a branch you pick up, which you use to beat wild birds and porcupine like things, collecting their meat and beaks and other things. One of the nice things is you can apparently carry as much as you want, with no limit on bag space or weight in any way, so stock up on everything it comes in handy later when you can sell it.

Eventually you make your way further inland and find an abandoned hut, where you say goodbye to the other survivor, she refuses to follow you any further. Skipping a bunch of wandering around and exploring you finally meet a native hunter who you talk to for a while and he presents you with your first real choice, and probably the most important in the game. He tells you that there is a harbor town a little ways from there in one direction, and a swamp with a rebel camp in the other direction. You find out that the town is in lock down due to the appearance of mysterious ruins, which have attracted the attention of a paramilitary group who have seized control of the town. There are rumors that they are using mind control magic to turn the locals into loyal slaves. The camp in the swamp on the other hand is a group of people who escaped the town, and are biding their time, collecting resources and support to retake it. So now you can choose to go investigate the town, or go to the rebel camp. I chose to go to the camp, and I am fairly certain the choice makes a DRASTIC impact on how the rest of the game plays out. Like I said I'm about 15 hours in, and I STILL don't know who the "good" guys are, because it is never apparent. You get conflicting stories based on each persons allegiance, people in town (when you eventually get there) have nothing but good to say about the group in control, and almost convinced me to switch allegiances and work for them to expose the rebels, but then in the back of your mind you have the rumors of mind control tactics.... but on the other hand the rebels in the camp come off as ruthless thieves and criminals while the townspeople seem like good people... the game does a FANTASTIC job at confusing the shit out of you as to who you should trust and ally with, and I am definitely going to play through it again when I am done and take a different path.

So that's all the story I'm going to give away, in case anyone actually cares to play it I don't want to ruin everything. As far as gameplay goes, the combat system is very well done, similar to if not better than Oblivion's. There are all the usual weapons, 1h and 2h swords, maces, axes, staves, bows and crossbows, etc. Armor is very rare and hard to come by, for the first 5-7 hours you are going to be in the tattered rags you washed to shore with, you may or may not find a shield by this time, and your weapon will be shit. In fact along those lines most of the random monsters and wildlife you come by will thoroughly trounce you if you aren't careful, you can take one easily enough but they are usually in groups of 2-3. Humans, if you piss them off, will also attack you and they will likely kill you very easily until you get some decent armor, which happens around hour 10 (for me, might be different based on the choices you make).

Suffice to say you will quickly learn to not enter into combat lightly, and to save before every fight. One of the nice things is if you are around allies you can lure monsters to them and they will engage in the fight with you, but this may result in you not getting experience for the kill, not sure how that works, but its not as simple as who gets the killing blow, might be by percentage of damage done. Also, and I thought this was pretty damn funny, for one quest I was supposed to "obtain" an artifact from someone, who was reluctant to give it up. Failing to convince them to give it to me or sell it to me my only options were to steal it, and since I hadn't learned lockpicking yet I was really left with murdering this person to get the key to their chest. Well, I couldn't do it, not a chance in hell, so I was going to put that quest on hold until I stood a chance in combat with him... until I wandered into a huge fucking ogre thing, and realized I could lure him to this guy and let the ogre kill him for me. So that worked beautifully, the ogre destroyed this guy, and then I simply ran away from it (stuff stops chasing you after a while). I love it when games are open enough for there to be creative avenues like this to solve problems.

As far as experience and leveling up, it serves little purpose as far as I can tell, when you gain a level you do not get to distribute skill points or anything like that, I think all that happens is your base skills improve slightly and your maximum health and mana go up. You can train certain skills with trainers for gold and "learning points" (which you also get each level). The skillset is very nice, with crafting/gathering skills like goldsmithing, prospecting, alchemy, poaching, cooking and others as well as standard combat/magic skill training.

Gold is very important in the game, you won't get anywhere without it, and it is truly hard to come by in the beginning. There are some standard ways to make money, like doing "work" for people, which are basically optional side-quests that you get payed for, but they are limited. You can also go out and hunt, though you only get 2-4 gold per kill, unless you have the skills and tools to skin them or collect other "trophies" (beaks, claws, etc) and like I said every fight early on in this game is significant, with the chance of being killed. Another reason why hunting isn't that great is because enemies do not respawn, ever as far as I can tell. Once they're gone they're gone for good. You can also just wander around and gather plants, which do respawn over time. Plants can be consumed directly, usually to restore health or mana or both, or they can be used with the alchemy skill to make potions, with greater effect than the plant itself of course, or you can just sell them for a few gold each. One of the best ways of making money is by using a crafting skill, gather raw materials and then craft things like weapons and armor with metal smithing, magical rings and amulets with gold smithing, potions with alchemy, food with cooking, etc. These things usually sell for a good chunk of gold, 2-3x the worth of their raw materials anyway. Stealing is also an option, train yourself in lockpicking/pickpocketing and sneak and thief away, but if you get caught you'll be attacked, knocked unconscious (probably, until you are stronger) and then YOUR stuff will be stolen, including your weapon and armor, which SUCKS, you basically have to reload your last save when that happens lol.

So anyways, this is a great game, one that I am sure will be largely unnoticed. I've been playing almost non-stop since I got it, neglecting some of the new AAA titles.

I know, tl;dr... I was bored.

2. pbcustom98

pbcustom98 New Member

gamefly for the 360..sounds damn good.

3. pbcustom98

pbcustom98 New Member

gamefly for 360 ..not out yet.

damn

4. charbaby

charbaby New Member

Holy wall of text

5. charbaby

charbaby New Member

I did hear good things about it however

6. charbaby

charbaby New Member

think that Ds game you mean is lost in blue

7. CodeX

CodeX Guest

Yeah that's it, I thought it was going to be like that when I first started, not knowing anything about this game, turns out it's not anything like it at all though, just the washing up on a desert island with nothing, having to hunt for food and scavenge stuff off the ground part.

I will say one thing about this though, the graphics are sub par. They aren't terrible, the vegetation and lighting and outdoor environments are really nice, but the character models are pretty ridiculous, there are some texture problems, 3D geometry sometimes "pop" into view while your walking, stuff like that. If you can get past that the game is really fun and has a great storyline.

8. Twinsen

Twinsen OT Supporter

Sounds decent enough to try out.

9. DaninTexas

DaninTexas OT Supporter

Will check it out if it hits Gamefly

10. CodeX

CodeX Guest

Apparently a lot of reviews are saying the 360 version specifically is, quote, "a mess"... Horrible frame rate and bad menu design, and some other things, none of which I've had problems with on PC... So if I were you I would play it for PC instead, lol.

Also a lot of reviews really come down on it for being difficult, which I understand is not everyone's cup of tea but to say that it is unplayable because it doesn't mark quest objectives on your map is a bit ridiculous. I like it BECAUSE it doesn't hold your hand through every damn thing, oblivion always felt like I was just going through the motions, following the quest objective marker on the compass or teleporting directly to it.

I guess if you remember how difficult old RPG's of the DOS era were and liked those, you'll love this. This is what I have been waiting for, minus the technical bugs. Games like fallout 3 and oblivion are so easy you just go through the motions to get to the next checkpoint, at least for me. In this you are actually forced to explore and figure things out and pay attention to the information you are given when talking to people.

A lot of reviewers also go off on it for not putting any emphasis on leveling up... but its like, if I wanted a level grind I'd play WoW... you all know if you can force-level your character to become stronger than you are supposed to be at any point in the game you are going to do it, even though you hate doing it, I know i do. This type of thing is greatly discouraged by the minimal gains for leveling up coupled with the finite number of monsters to kill and the relatively large gaps between levels. All a new level really gives you is some more HP/MP and some learning points you can use to train in certain things, but training is heavily limited by the amount of gold you are able to obtain anyway so I don't think anyone will feel you don't get enough learning points.

Also, this limitation to the amount of gold you are able to acquire and thus the amount of equipment/training you are able to acquire is ANOTHER thing that reviewers are complaining about that I like. I have never felt that my decision about what to spend my money on has mattered more than in this game. In most games like this money is a function of time, the more time you spend playing the more money you can make, even without progressing the story. The difference in this game is that, at any certain point in the story the amount of gold you can possibly make feels very limited, such that in order to make more you have to progress the story. So you can't just sit in the starter area and become a millionaire if you want to, its just not possible. The repercussions of this are that gold actually feels like it has value, and your decision to spend it will not be made lightly, because to get thing A you may very well be precluding yourself from getting thing B until much later in the game, if at all. Again, I LIKE this, but from reading reviews it seems I'm the only one.

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 7, 2009
  11. pbcustom98

pbcustom98 New Member

in most RPG games gold is a joke. it is very easy to get from killing or crafting etc and gold is worthless, i like the the fact that gold actually has a value, and choosing what to spend it on is actually a hard choice.

12. Twinsen

Twinsen OT Supporter

I really have to try this game out. I may just go buy a new XBox tonight.

13. pbcustom98

pbcustom98 New Member

i dont see it anywhere for 360, only pc.

14. Joker

Joker OT Supporter

15. CodeX

CodeX Guest

16. pbcustom98

pbcustom98 New Member

17. JasonKnight

JasonKnight OT Supporter

I been trying to play this game all morning. didn't get very far.The whole fighting system seems a bit wacky at first. opponents could charge forward and attack and jump back in a quick second and my sword couldn't parry they attack or even hit them. I finally got to the swamp camp area someone told me to get him meat i told him to fuck off. he had his men keep attacking me. i beat like 4 of them all in a row never had time to get my health back, the 5th guy knocked me down and took my sword. i tried to get it back. everyone attacked me at once and killed me. also I was sent on an errand by the same guy to get some guy named clay to take over a post for some other guard. Clay is no where to be found.

Oh and those spiny rats are complete crap. too low for half of your attacks to hit them and they bite you for 1/4 your health. not to mention they attack fucking quick and unless you have a shield. your fucked from blocking or parrying. died a few times in the beginning cause i couldn't attack them.

Game has some very obvious flaws. and no. knowing where you need to go for a quest is a good thing. being told. "oh it is somewhere to the east over that way" is not enough of a way-point to know where to go.

Cant heal while in a fight with a potion or anything.

Money is pretty plentiful compared to what everyone else was saying.

first 20 minutes into the game i had over 400 gold. mind you i was picking up everything i could and would sell it to the traders in the camp.

All in all, game had promise. but it is getting un-installed. glad i only downloaded it.

Fable is better then this game.... Ohh and Oblivion? yea 1000000000x better then this game.

18. s34s0ns

s34s0ns OT Supporter

pot durring combat= move backwards and click pot, once animation ends, attack again.

19. CodeX

CodeX Guest

Don't tell people to "fuck off", or they will kill you. And yes combat is difficult, especially humans as they will dodge attacks, but I have no trouble bringing people down now, it just takes a while... You started with the wrong impressions, this isn't like other games you can't just walk up to shit and swing your sword every time you enter combat it is serious and you could die, and I think thats a good thing.

Yes, you should have a shield, but you can also defend with your weapon, unfortunately it does not block those guys, which makes sense they are spiney... I never had trouble hitting them because they were "too low".. and yes, when things hit you when you are wearing the rags you washed to shore with for armor they do a ton of damage.

Yeah it has flaws, most are graphical though not gameplay related. I like not having my hand held about quests, I have yet to find a quest I couldn't figure out.

What is plentiful? You said you don't have a shield... you can buy one from the first merchant in the camp, don't remember how much it was... the better armor can be acquired after doing a quest chain for 500 gold, that I had to save up for and couldn't get it as soon as it was available. At any given time there was about 2000g worth of shit I wanted, and making 500 for the better armor took a good deal of saving up for.

Fair enough, the game is difficult, more difficult than either fable or oblivion, I also think it has a better story and better sense of exploration and innovative problem solving than either of those.