RIS vs. Ghost Server?

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by cmsurfer, Apr 29, 2008.

1. cmsurfer

cmsurfer ºllllllº

I've had some down-time at work the past few days so I setup a RIS server to learn how it works... I got it working for the most part. Once I get the custom images setup, it should be a breeze to reformat a machine here.

But, what about Ghost server? Is it any better or worse than RIS?

2. DarqueGT

DarqueGT New Member

never heard about RIS......so I'm in for info as well. We've been using Ghost server here for a few years.

3. cmsurfer

cmsurfer ºllllllº

RIS - Remote Installation Server. IIRC, it's now called Windows Deployment Services in Server 2003.

4. DarqueGT

DarqueGT New Member

RIS looks more confusing to set up, but looks to be easier to manage once it is up and running. Ghost is a simple setup, but you have to work from the server as well as the client to coordinate an image load.

5. Sexual Vanilla

Sexual Vanilla New Member

Crap, I came in here expecting you to talk about a Radiology Information System...used alongside a PACS...with which I'm very familiar with.

6. cmsurfer

cmsurfer ºllllllº

I was reading about RIS supposedly being difficult to setup, but it really wasn't bad. Besides having to open one the the servers to add a spare drive for the images, I was loading a test image in about 2 hours.

I think I may look into Ghost. I may be looking for a new job soon and would like to at least know how it works...

7. dorkultra

dorkultra OT's resident crohns dude OT Supporter

i attempted to do that a few weeks ago. found it to be a pain in the ass becaue i couldn't get the nic drivers to load, no matter what nic i chose. every gigabit nic would give me some odd message

i just ended up pulling the hard drive out of the server and plugging it into my desktop to reimage. it takes like 2 minutes if its a sata drive :rofl:
    although i wouldn't want to have to do that at a workplace

8. cmsurfer

cmsurfer ºllllllº

Yea, I had some trouble with that too...

For machines that do not have PXE compliant NIC's, there's a boot floppy you can make from \\ris_server\reminst\Admin\i386\rbfg.exe. It works with a lot of NIC'c, but not all...

EDIT - Just ran across the NIC driver issue trying to do a test on an XP machine.. It took me a few tries, but I finally got the drivers to load... It really is amazing what you can find on google.

Last edited: Apr 29, 2008
  9. critter783

critter783 OT Supporter

We've used Ghost for years, and we started to set up RIS/BDD/WDS, and now we're in the process of setting up Operating System Deployment with System Center Configuration Manager. ALL of the above are light-years ahead of Ghost.

Ghost gives you static deployment images, while BDD and SCCM will allow you to do dynamic deployment by specifying the software packages you want installed.

10. cmsurfer

cmsurfer ºllllllº

Well, I got the Windows 2000 image pretty much working, but I'm having trouble with the XP images...

11. critter783

critter783 OT Supporter

Throw your questions in here, and I'll take a crack at them. My teammate and I are implementing this as fast as Microsoft's guys are publishing. Do a search for Deployment Guys. They're a group of guys that work for MS that blog on BDD and SCCM, and they know both systems inside and out.

Also, while we're on the subject, what does everyone else use to manage their 1000+ machine client base with multiple hardware configs and no universally acceptable base deployment configuration?

12. tehganj

tehganj oh, hi.

link to edu on how to grab the images?

13. cmsurfer

cmsurfer ºllllllº