riptoe starting strength

Discussion in 'Fitness & Nutrition' started by antihero, Oct 19, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. antihero

antihero OT Supporter

Well my life has been crazy for the last 6 months and ive been slacking off like crazy while commuting 5+ hours a day for work. Im settled in NYC now and about to get a new gym down here.

I was thinking trying starting strength just to get back to where i was 6 months ago. Any opinions on the program for someone with 5+ years training but whos been mostly out of it for 6 months? My weights are down like 30%+ on a lot of lifts :ugh: and I want that remedied as soon as possible.

I know a lot of noobs have reported great results on starting strength..

2. Formz

Formz Hipster Santa OT Supporter

where in NYC and what gym were you thinking of?

3. antihero

antihero OT Supporter

I'm in queens. woodside area.

Thinking of pulse fitness. its 24/5 with decent weekend hours, dirt cheap, dirty and close. Deadlifts allowed. sounds good on the phone. Im gonna try it tonight.

Any other suggestions?

4. Formz

I know nothing in the queens area. You're on you're own .:hs:

5. antihero

antihero OT Supporter

what part of town are you in? How bad is nysc? my girl and one of my new buddies down here got there, but it doesnt sound like my kinda place

6. Formz

I actually live in Hoboken NJ right over the river. I go to a gym called Club H fitness. There is one in Hell's Kitchen in NYC. They have a complete deadlift platform, chalk, full cage, bumper plates. Everything.

We even just got a 350lb and 700lb tire for strongman events. Farmers walk stuff should be here soon. My training partner is the head trainer there so its good for me.

Personally, I'd stay away from NYSC. I've heard soooooo many bad things about the locker room area... if you catch my drift. :hsugh:

7. antihero

antihero OT Supporter

lol. gotcha. I doubt pulse is gonna be that hardcore but it sounds like it will work for me. Id love it if they had a strongman place around, but havent found anything.

8. mandrew

mandrew New Member

Rippetoe

9. Drilldo

Drilldo Active Member

I found that after you make your initial noob gains it is too much volume. The program called for heavy squats every other day and my body just couldn't keep up when I got to where I was repping three plates and up. That said it is a perfect introduction to weight training however.

10. mandrew

mandrew New Member

11. Drilldo

Drilldo Active Member

I started doing lighter front squats when I needed a rest, although I'm still going every other day with the occasional two day rest. I added db rows and db press in to give some more variety but other than that it's the same lifts outlined in SS. Most days I am near 100% but there are days when I'm just not up to it, like today. I woke up groggy, sore and I just never got going even with a great breakfast, EC stack and an apple pre-workout. I just went a little lighter and concentrated on getting through it. Some days you're the windshield and others you're the bug :dunno:

12. Hamster

Hamster Active Member

A few guys at my gym are finishing up a 10 week Squats and Milk program. They're all hitting the wall right now with their squats in the mid 300s.

13. Ceaze

Ceaze https://hearthis.at/DoYouEvenUplift Moderator

Because you're a wuss. You're also not supposed to start the program with your 5RM. So, your body has some time to adapt to the increased training frequency.

Also, once you're not able to continue adding weight to the bar every week, you're not supposed to just keep plugging away with the same set & rep scheme. That's why people need to read Practical Programming if they're going to stick with this routine.

14. mandrew

mandrew New Member

I have Starting Strength second edition but it really doesn't focus well on programming. I read the programming section the other night after this thread was made, and i realized how many mistakes I've been making since I started training, but was not provided many solutions. Especially "plugging away with the same weight/scheme". I switch it up weekly but more in a chaotic fashion, and my slow progress and frequent joint irritation is all I have to show for it.

I need a method to my madness, but do you think Practical Programming would have carry-over info for WS4SB routine? I like the routine but it really does not give a clear outline of progression at all, so I'm lost in that regard.

15. Hamster

Hamster Active Member

Practical Programming is a whole different book.

16. jmezz

jmezz layin in bed stretchin my pumped quads for hours

WHY WHAT'S WRONG WITH THE LOCKER ROOM AREA???

17. Abomb

Abomb New Member

this has been my most difficult concept to handle as well.. i dont know the best route to progress...

18. Abomb

Abomb New Member

:mamoru:

19. mandrew

mandrew New Member

just ordered a copy of Practical Programming.

20. MP18

MP18 New Member

just find a gym that doesn't have the decaton shaped weights, or doing anything off the floor is out

id use the starting strength program to get back into the swing of things, but you'll plateau off it pretty quick

practical programming ftw, get that if you don't already have it, the starting strength routing is in there anyway. starting strength focuses a lot on form which im guessing you wont need at this point

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.