Ripping dvd's?

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by Valence, Jan 5, 2004.

1. Valence

Valence Gustav Refugee

What program could enable me to make backup copies of my favorite dvd's? What do u prefer? Is there one that can rip straight to vdc or svcd? Which format is the best for burning onto cdr discs?

2. Wolf68k

Wolf68k OT Supporter

Backing up DVDs; Try DVD X Copy starting at $59.99 and you pick up at places like BestBuy. There is also DVD Shrink which is free

DVD to S/VCD; DVDrHelp.com has a number of tutorials on how to rip a DVD to SVCD or VCD, plus links to the tools.

Which format is best; I'm guessing you mean between SVCD and VCD. SVCD uses MPEG2, much like a DVD does. So you do get much better quality but at a price of file size and how much will fit onto a CDR, I think it's about 40-50mins maybe 60mins if you're lucky.
    VCD is like looking better than VHS tape (when the video is ripped from a DVD), so the quality isn't as good as SVCD but you can fit 80mins of video on 1 700mb/80min CDR.
    However if you convert a DVD to SVCD then you should be able to fit the whole movie onto a single DVDR, not sure if this really works or not but I don't see why it wouldn't just don't quote me on it that it will...if you have a DVDR to waste on trying it, then go for it.
    The only other problem with going to SVCD, is that what ever program you use to do the encoding to SVCD (MPEG2) usually requires you to pay extra where as making a VCD (MPEG1) can be done for free.

3. Wudan

Wudan Insert Avatar picture here:

Straight dvd ripping, I like to use smartripper.
    Encode using DivX5.1 and FlaskMpeg and can usually fit a whole movie on a single CD and still look ok.

4. yaygrr

yaygrr Active Member

was about 2 post the same thing... just bought Underworld 2day... :)

//DCG: :squint: Watch it.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 7, 2004
  5. DatacomGuy

DatacomGuy is moving to Canada

Can you guys PLEASE read at least the entire first page before you post? After you check the first page, click the search button.

There is already two threads on the front C&P page that ask the same question, and if you search this forum (and OT) you will notice that this is discussed about 5 times a day.

6. yaygrr

yaygrr Active Member

completely understood... thanks for the "heads-up"...