RIP Pontiac Solstice and Saturn Sky

Discussion in 'OT Driven' started by TriShield, Jul 29, 2009.

1. TriShield

TriShield Super Moderator® Super Moderator

Pontiac Solstice (Saturn Sky) RIP

[​IMG]

By Jack Baruth
    July 29, 2009

As General Motors prepares to ignore its own history, it also appears that the company is set on repeating it. Two decades ago, the star-crossed Fiero finally found redemption in the form of the 1988 GT V6, only to be canceled immediately after that revised car received positive review from consumers and the press. Yesterday, a halt was called to production of the Pontiac Solstice and Saturn Sky, just as the introduction of the GXP Coupe offered a glimmer of the decent sports car the Skystice could eventually have become. Like the man said, it’s deja vu all over again.

The original Solstice and Sky were fatally flawed cars, Playskool-esque steel-body roadsters that weighed nearly as much as their Corvette relative but were powered by less than half as much motor. The body panels creaked, the top didn’t work well at all, and the overall driving experience could best be described as ”agricultural.”

Even the singular success enjoyed by the Solstice in SCCA road-racing and autocross competition turned sour in GM’s mouth. In 2007, employees from the Performance Division used questionable paperwork to campaign a “skunkworks” GXP Club Sport in the SCCA’s A Stock class, competing directly against their own legitimate customers.

The Solstice’s swan song was a “coupe” that was really more of a half-baked targa variant. As with its predecessors, it was rushed to market, inadequately engineered, and cynically marketed to a customer base that had already grown tired of broken promises from General Motors. With approximately a thousand examples produced, it’s certain to be a collector car one day, but make no mistake: In the history of modern two-seat sports cars, the Solstice is an AMC Gremlin, and the Coupe is a Levi’s Edition.

2. art_VW_shark

art_VW_shark OT Supporter

oh shit, they were heavy? that sucks

3. deusexaethera

deusexaethera OT Supporter

Sad to see it get shitcanned before they could work out the bugs in the platform, but then again, this is what they were competing against:

[​IMG]

My dad has the 2007 model; the stock tires were shitty, but he put some good Michelins on it, and it handles like a go-kart now. I kinda want to get one myself; after driving his for a week, it's clear he was on to something. It's very relaxing to drive home in the evening with the top down.

4. 396Hawk

396Hawk Active Member

Miatas are for women.

5. art_VW_shark

art_VW_shark OT Supporter

the miata's appeal was with history and handling; the Sol-Sky with their bold looks and high power variants.

6. TriShield

TriShield Super Moderator® Super Moderator

Like GM had the interest (and money) to do that.

7. deusexaethera

Oh, I know they didn't, but it's still sad to see it go away. The Sky is the car that convinced me maybe GM was worth saving after all.

8. deusexaethera

I'm for women too, so if I had a Miata it would be a pretty good arrangement.

Good luck with the gay thing, though.

9. deusexaethera

167hp goes a long way in a car that light.

10. 396Hawk

396Hawk Active Member

Good one. Who said anything about gay?

:ugh2:

Last edited: Jul 31, 2009