A&P Rip Me a New One!

Discussion in 'Lifestyle' started by Chiron, Mar 13, 2007.

1. Chiron

Chiron New Member

I should be out there doing more shots, yet with school and an incredible lack of sleep I've dropped off a bit. I know this community can be rough at times, so have at it. I've been toying with the idea of starting a photographic/graphic design company. As a result I need to achieve my highest level of quality. So heres some very and somewhat recent work. Critique to your heart's content. I have a thick skin. Pick one, a few, or all.

There is only one requirment: make your input meaningful. A random this sucks comment does nothing for you, me, or fellow photographers.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG][​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. ok_computer

ok_computer OT Supporter

Sorry, not a single image does anything for me.

3. Chiron

Chiron New Member

Such a random assortment, and nothing? Tough crowd so far.

4. Burmonster

Burmonster OT Supporter

5. ok_computer

ok_computer OT Supporter

1: It's writing with a laser.. anyone can do it, and with this, it's not even on an interesting background. Is this in your basement?

2: This laser pic is better than the other, but again, it's just a light.

3: Yeah, you got lightning, but there is NOTHING else in the picture. You can't just take a picture of something without considering composition. Position yourself so that there is something interesting in the picture.

4: Not sure what this is, but it's probably my favorite of any of them. Just like the gradient of the light.. But again it's obvious you didnt think of composition, you just saw it, grabbed your camera, and shot it.

5: This is a picture of an old lady, there is nothing to it. Who wants to see old ladies in the back of a car? Theres nothign interesting, and it really just looks like a picture with a disposable camera when someone goes "Hey I'll just check if this works and take a random ass picture".

6: If you can't even go through the effort of, you know, making the image not sideways, why am I even doing this? There's nothing to this either, you just shook the camera.

7: The car is ridiculously dark, you can barely see what color it is. This is a bad picture.

8: Not your worst, but it's super noisy. The only thing I loke about it is the green looking light in the back, but the only reason that's there is because you probably fucked up white balance.

9: Again, the car is so dark you can't even tell when color it is. If you're going to take a pic of a car, expose it properly.

10: This one had potential, I like the color of the light, but it's crooked and that completely ruins it. ALWAYS think of composition, you would have shot this straight had you have been thinking.

11: Another with alot of potential, but I see this picture as a dark place, with a ray of light shooting into the door, as you shot it it's too light and is just a boring old barn.

12: You need more than one element per picture to make it great. Here, it looks like you just said "Oh coooooooooooool! I'm going to do something with shallow depth of field!! :mamoru:" But it's a screw.

13: These are FINALLY some relatively clear pictures (Still look not perfectly in focus) But the white balance is off, and don't forget the rule of thirds.

6. ok_computer

ok_computer OT Supporter

OOps, looks like I skipped 2 pics after the second bark one.

7. viro

viro New Member

8. 19Godfather86

19Godfather86 New Member

There's not alot to critique here. There's not alot of thought put into any of these photos.

9. kronik85

kronik85 New Member

think more, shoot more

10. Blair

Blair New Member

11. Jonny Chimpo

Jonny Chimpo OT Supporter

picard.jpg

12. Chiron

Chiron New Member

Cheers for the input, I appreciate it mate. Here are some further questions/comments. These were chosen at random by a sorting program, they are by no means my best.

1-Abandoned movie theater

2-Fair enough

3-That was the first shot I've ever done dealing with lightning. Its still an art I'm trying to learn. Also, that entire storm was a let down and the light trails from highway traffic at the bottom of the image were washed out due to the lightning's intensity.

4-Contrary, that was a bitch to even get a shot of. That was an actual scene in th middle of an adandoned movie theater. Myself and a friend had borrowed a studio setup of two photofloods and a quartz light powered by a massive marine battery with a converter. Short and sweet, the battery was done and we were without lighting except for a flashlight and the speedlight on the camera itself.

5-The idea was to get the character of a lady who had been a pivotal part of the local women's labor force movement durring WWII.

6-That was testing out a roatary rig designed by a friend:dunno:

7-The idea was to attempt a silhouette. I'm surprissed someone didn't find the excessive lensfare a bit comedic.

8-There were three different light sources, all of which were using different filaments. I set the WB for the incandescent light to the right out of the frame, which is why the flourescent and street lights came through exagerated, which is what I was going for.

9-Once again, going for a silhouette, expcept using the city lights.

10-There was a pile of rubble to the left, which is why its not dead on center. That also would have canceled some of the highlights of the image given the angle of the sun and the position in the skeleton of the barn. Perfect technical composition can be boring at times, or perhaps my photography profressor was off with that statement eh?

11-The idea was to convey the abandonment seeing as how this was the last barn in this area, which is now filled with subdivisions. Its probably not there anymore. I tried a few different methods and ideas with this shot. How would you have done it?

12-Indeed

13-What is out of focus? The subject matter looks clear. Whats odd about the WB comment, is its custom set for overcast conditions.

Last edited: Mar 13, 2007
  13. Chiron

Chiron New Member

Haha, its not a car thats easy on the eyes, which is why it was shot in a rough part of town. Ugly car+ugly part of town=the idea. It has a distinct roofline, so the shadowside shot was to achieve a silhouette. Noise is still an issue with this camera. I'm attempting to figure out ways to lessen it. Thats the end result even with in camera processing.

14. Chiron

Chiron New Member

Wise words. It seems I've gone downhill since switching from film to digital. Cheers.

15. MonkMonk

MonkMonk New Member

none excite me

16. This one's simple but I like it :hs: :dunno:

17. Chiron

Chiron New Member

Appreciated sir. Most people seem to agree with that.

18. CornUponCob

CornUponCob New Member

The more you shoot, the more you'll hate pictures you took in the past.

As you learn to use your camera and learn to compose your shots will improve. Remember, MOST good shots out there took quite a bit of thought and planning to make them just right.

19. I don't think anyone here would disagree

:bigthumb:

20. I think if you were to make a large print of that one it'd actually be kinda cool.

I'm high off of NiQuil, tylenol, and 2 perscription drugs right now. (bad cold). Anyways if I look at the pic long enough it's like the nail is coming out at me! :eek3: Might be a mixture of my nice clear display and the droogs but I likes it :420:

I don't know about everyone else on OT but I use "the darkness" I think it's great for viewing pics and stuff. But I must be going crazy, I'm staring at the nut and letting my eyes blur out everything else (the rest of the pic and OT) and seriously it looks like I can grab the screw. :noes: :o

21. tenplanescrashing

tenplanescrashing Active Member

your ISO was waaaaay to high on most of those. the second one of your car, im assuming, reminded me of shots you see in Sport Compact Car and I liked the setting but the ISO killed it for me. The blacks were grainy, the red is very dull and the background wasn't saturated enough...

22. :rofl: I was really out of it last night :mamoru:

23. Chiron

Chiron New Member

Just a bit:rofl: