Rims: Painting vs. Powdercoating

Discussion in 'OT Driven' started by Bolicious, Aug 25, 2009.

1. Bolicious

Bolicious Handleobraese

I love my stock rims, but the previous owner added some nice scrapes and curb rash. The silver of the rims is nothing like the silver of the car, so I want to have the curb rash filled/repaired and the rims color matched to the silver of the car body. I had my aftermarket rims powdercoated with two coats of black and one clear and the coating filled in a couple marks of rash and made shell of color indestructible. I dropped a wrench from 5 feet up accidently and it didn't leave a smudge.

However, I don't know how well the silver would match. I don't know how many silver color options for PC there are out there. I am considering having the rims painted to ensure an accurate match, but have no experience with painted rims and am wondering the durability. For instance, I didn't want the paint to flake when mounting a tire. Maybe this isn't even an issue? Then there's cost. I'm figuring at $100 per rim for PC, but didn't have a clue with paint.

Anyone have any experience with one or both finishes? What would you recommend?

2. Priest Tango

Priest Tango Custom User Tits

id go pc. less chance of chipping

3. Bolicious

Bolicious Handleobraese

Have you had yours professionally painted before? I think my rims were originally painted at the factory but I'm not sure how to tell.

4. Bugalu

Bugalu OT Supporter

powdercoating. just do it.,

5. Priest Tango

Priest Tango Custom User Tits

imo "professionally painted" is the same as spray bombing them in your driveway.......still gonna chip.

my PCed rims have been through mud, grass, gravel, and five NY winters. i can count the number of chips smaller than the asterik above the 8 on your keyboard sized chips on less than one hand

6. Bolicious

Bolicious Handleobraese

After having my last rims PC, I was happy, but I thought I would explore my options.

As for prepping a rim for powdercoat, how do I go about fixing curb scrapes? Is it the same as sand, bondo, sand, etc? Or will PC only stick to metal? Pic of the damage in question.

[​IMG]