GUN Rimfire Crew: What do most people customize on their Ruger 10/22's?

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by springy101, Jun 16, 2008.

1. springy101

springy101 When god comes and calls me to his kingdom, I'll t

Well my plan of getting a new rifle fell through so I'm thinking of getting a 10/22. Right now I can think of stock, barrel, optics, and trigger group. What are some other common upgrades to the 10/22, and ordering them according to importance (I would rather have a clean functioning firearm than a cool stock, etc).

2. spankaveli

spankaveli OT Supporter

everything :o

3. Paul Revere

Paul Revere OT Supporter

what do you want to do with the rifle and how much do you want to spend

4. springy101

Preferrably less than $500 over time. I just want an accurate, reliable rifle. So far I'm thinking bull barrel, trigger, and optics; but I've heard that they aren't the most reliable guns out of the box and need to know what to replace to make it reliable.

5. yar1182

yar1182 New Member

1. Scope...red dot if your making a fast rabbit hunting gun, free hand range plinker, or a run and gun steel plate rifle (What Yar did). Some sort of magnified scope if your making a bench rest gun, or varmit shooter. Oh get a decent scope rail too.
    2. Mags...Tactical inc aluminum 25 rounders. Best mags on the market
    3. Trigger...Kid trigger if you need the best or get a few drop in VQ parts for a do it yourself type job
    4. Barrel...Bull barrel for a bench rest gun, sporter barrel for a lightweight gun. If your looking to make a real quiet gun then get a long 20" barrel. A 20" and sub sonic ammo is whisper quiet. If your looking for perfomance go short as a 22lr hits max fps at about 13" of barrel. So maybe a 16"
    5. Stock... many choices I like the barracuda
    6. Bolt work. proper headspace and pin block the firing pin so it doesn't hit the breech face.
    7. there is some sort of buffer that replaces the steel pin the bolt hits in recoil. Forgot what it's called. I think mine is a weapon craft buffer something.
    Really you can spend a lot of money on a 10/22 probably not worth it but fun to do. I'm in my 10/22 over $1000
    [​IMG]

6. springy101

Wow, that thing is insane. My rifle would mostly be a bench shooter but some varminting. Oh, and no 25 round mags for me :California:

7. Paul Revere

Paul Revere OT Supporter

you can completely rebuild your rifle for $500 including a scope. i would recommend going on rimfirecentral.com and doing some searches. they have a lot of good vendors listed but you can also try midwayusa and brownells

8. spankaveli

spankaveli OT Supporter

weaponkraft is the guys who sell the urethane buffer

9. phrozenlikwid

phrozenlikwid New Member

Here's mine favorite in it's current iteration:

[​IMG]

GM 17" heavy sporter
    Bedded Hogue
    Power Custom trigger stuff (leaving soon for M1 turrets)
    Leupie M8 6x worked over by Premier

Future plans:
    I'm sending the trigger pack off to Hornet for their rework to check that out, and I'm waiting on some tally's so that I can slap on the Leupy MK4 in the pic. Might start a new build for a game gun like Yar's, as I haven't done one of those blueprints yet.

That gun is lightweight, balances perfectly, and has replaced my heavy 10/22's. A 10/22 shines in it's simplicity, and it's handiness. If you are wanting a bench gun, I'd skip the autoloaders and snag a used Annie 64 for about $5-600. You will never be happy trying to make a bench gun out of one (I've tried... on more than one occasion).

If I were to do it over again, I'd probably build the same thing. I have dick in that rifle $wise, and it's by far the most handy blueprint I've created. It's easy to chase minimal gains with a 10/22; A hogue, GM barrel, and some trigger work and you'd be right in the thick of things with minimal cash outlay.

Last edited: Jun 16, 2008
  10. springy101

How does this look for a cheap build?

[​IMG]

With the gun itself it would be around $500, within my budget.

11. springy101

Do you guys use adjustable scopes (can't remember the name, like 1-4x) or the non adjustable ones. The .22lr doesn't do much past 100 or so yards so I shouldn't need that much magnification right?

12. phrozenlikwid

phrozenlikwid New Member

Honestly.... Shitty IMO. You are building a gun that will only have a niche purpose (shooting off a bench), and it won't be great at that (you WILL be outshot by most guys with decent boltguns).

I've not had good luck with BC barrels (though others have, and that's not my biggest bitch with that one). It's a pig. 20" unfluted is HEAVY, and your gun will balance like shit. Stainless always trumps blued, as it fends rust/weather better, and generally speaking the barrels are finished nicer/shoot better (my experiences). You gain NOTHING with the long/heavy tube, so why have it?

I'd go 16" fluted, stainless, in a GM tube if you are on the cheap. I scored the above pictured barrel for $50 shipped from RFC. It shoots lights out.

The Hogue is good/great, but I really think it shines more as a GP/sporter handle than a bench handle. The Anschutz silly-wet duped by McM is/was my favorite chunk stock, but that alone would kill your budget. B&C dupe a copy for cheaper, but I have no experience with it.

I've had bad luck with newer VQ stuff, and I'm not alone. QC seems to be falling to shit there, and I've experienced several weird malady's that seemed/did stemmed from improper machined parts. The Power Custom stuff seems to be better IMO. I haven't done the Hornet products rework, but I've heard really really good things about it, and its $50 for the whole she-bang.

I can't love Millet hardware, and I think the Homogeneous Talley Ultra-Lights are exceptional mounts for not much loot.

As for scopes, I run that fixed 6x on mine for most uses. Once it gets M1 knobs, it will probably stay. The MK4 is going to be used to stretch it's legs out, but that's really only because of the turrets, not so much the zoom. Big X numbers are good for BR and to show off to people who don't know better, but other than that I'm not a huge fan as it limits the usages of the rifle. Think FOV/mounting options/eye relief friendliness/mirage/etc.

How bout you tell us what you have already, and how much money you have left to spend, and we/I can try and compile you something.

Last edited: Jun 16, 2008
  13. Paul Revere

Paul Revere OT Supporter

your shopping cart looks almost identical to mine for 10/22 parts.

as for the scope, get a Mueller APV you will not be disappointed.

14. springy101

Right now I just have enough money to buy the 10/22 itself, I'm educating myself and making plans for the future with this thread. In all honesty I have no clue about what parts are good/not good and I just picked stuff that was reasonably priced and in my budget to put in the cart.

15. springy101

Alright, updated cart; except scratch the 20" barrel for a 16".

[​IMG]

16. That looks fine. The fact is that a decent 10/22 setup will shoot better than most people are capable of shooting. Here are a few shitty pictures of my 10/22. It's really nothing more than a scope, Hogue Overmold stock, Shilen Match barrel, and the KID trigger. I have probably $700 into it, not counting the price of the rifle.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Did this last week... 5 shots, 50 yards. I know someone who mentioned that you'd still be outshot by guys with decent bolt guns, but I have yet to go to the range and find someone shooting tighter groups. I know it's not world class or anything, but it's better than most of what you will come across, and you really need to decide what the gun is for. You're not going for gold medals with it, it's just a gun to have fun with. That said, don't worry about the equipment so much, and work on your skills.
    [​IMG]

17. phrozenlikwid

phrozenlikwid New Member

I think you that set-up is more better than the one before, as that rifle will be much more versatile.

Here's the Hornet products trigger rework I was talking about:
    http://www.hornetproducts.com/ViewProduct.asp?ModelNumber=TGA-RBS

I haven't shot it myself, but some guys I put faith in have and tell me that it's a hell of a bargin. Notice it also comes with the extended mag release and the automatic bolt release. They claim 2 3/4 lb trigger pulls, and all that for only $50 strikes me as being more than fair.

They also have good prices on a lot of other 10/22 stuff, and I've had no problems ordering from them. Another 10/22 site that I peruse....

www.shootersdiscount.com

Though if you aren't in a hurry, I'd be scouring the various boards like a hawk trying to snag some of this stuff used. The Hogues come up for sale regularly, as do decent barrels. Both are largely indestructable in rimfire applications (providing the PO hasn't fallen off a cliff and taken them with him/her). Easy way to save some money over new...

I'd be putting these sites in my favorites:
    http://www.rimfirecentral.com/forums/vbclassified.php
    http://www.ar15.com/forums/forum.html?b=7&f=47
    http://www.thehighroad.org/forumdisplay.php?f=23

And of course the various auction sites.

Parts abound for these guns, so if you aren't seeing what you are looking for, put up a WTB ad and see what kind of stuff you get coming in.

18. phrozenlikwid

phrozenlikwid New Member

That's a nice looking gun Market Garden.

That KIDD is pretty much the shit isn't it?

As far as my comment about being outshot by boltguns.... I'll stand by it, but perhaps it is a little out of context. For general blasting, I agree that you probably wouldn't notice a difference. Put in any type of precision orientated competition, and the Rugers inherent flaws become apparent. I've went down the road of building up a 10/22 to compete in silly-wet and rimfire BR comps, and finally gave up after I ended up single loading the thing to help circumvent fliers. They are great guns, but there are cheaper/better/easier choices if you are wanting to play in those realms; that was really what I meant.

19. yar1182

yar1182 New Member

kidd trigger crew

20. I love the trigger. I've got it set to 1lb on the first stage, and 1 more lb on the second stage. I think I want to lighten the second stage a bit though, the 1st stage is real easy to take up, but it's hard to keep the rifle really still while pulling that second stage.

21. phrozenlikwid

phrozenlikwid New Member

*former KIDD trigger crew*:wtc::sadwavey:

I sold my KIDD with my last rifle.... Probably shouldn't have done that.

22. xpinchx

xpinchx hes got a nice cock, on the thin side but its stil

This is almost exactly what I have, but IMO if you want to save some money you can modify your factory bolt release with a dremel, it literally takes like 2 seconds.

23. springy101

Really? You just grind it off a bit or what? I have no clue what it does all I know is that people replace it.

24. xpinchx

xpinchx hes got a nice cock, on the thin side but its stil

You just have to file the little thing down, like I said it takes like a minute at the most.

http://rimfirecentral.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=30867

I painted mine flat black too so it doesn't look so obtrusive.

edit: BTW you can get the 20" barrel if you want. I have a 20" blued GM bull barrel in a hogue stock and it's not that bad. The balance is waaaay of but it's not so heavy I would refuse to carry it around.

25. springy101

That looks easy enough, so what does this actually do?