GUN rilfe length hand guard on carbine? AR15 crew

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by silversilvia, Aug 8, 2006.

1. silversilvia

silversilvia OT Supporter

thinking of putting a FF rifle length hanguard on my carbine.

its on an A2 and and i was gonna mount a red dot sight on a set of risers on the hand guard area. I've seen some people do it and i really like the rifle handguard on carbine, i suck at iron sights anyways so i was gonna go with no back up sights, but i can always put it on later on the front.

bad idea? good idea? i wanted to spend 150-180 ish. i just need a low profile gasblock and a FF hanguard right? or can i cut the FSB?

2. Razardica

Razardica Active Member

good idea, I have a LaRue 12.0 on my 16.5" bbl.

You can cut the FSB.

3. silversilvia

cool. wanted to confirm about the fsb thing. now i can put 50 more bucks towards the hand guard. they don't make any cheapish HG that are longer than 12 inches do they. i will try to spend less than 200

4. Razardica

Razardica Active Member

Look into Midwest Industries, I think they might make a full length FF.

If you save up another 80 bucks you can get the best of the best (what I have).

5. Sssnake

Sssnake meh

I like that look myself. To me, having a carbine with the barrel sticking out 8 inches past the front sight looks goofy as hell, plus why waste the sight picture you can have with the front sight all the way at the end. You still have the carbine length but you also increase your accuracy.

That said, I am looking at getting a 10.5" upper :)

6. silversilvia

i cut my FSB today, took about an hour. i also durabaked it. i have had good success durabaking smaller pieces, wish my P64 slide came out this good.

i have seen some nice FF rifles length ones for around $150-ish. factor in that i need the tools too it makes about $200.

7. kalm823

kalm823 He who lives on hopes dies of starvation

YHM makes one in your price range. $120 for the FF tube, $40 for an action block, $17 for an armorer's wrench, If you have a hammer/punches lying around (You should if you took the FSB off), optional YHM FF tube wrench (I heard a flat blade scrwedriver and electrical/duct tape works too) $25. Or you can go with midwest and just cut off the delta ring with a dremel.

8. silversilvia

I found on on aimsurplus for 109.95. its the full version and not the light weight version, which are out of stock in most places i have tried. aim also sells them for 50-ish cheaper than other places.

i decided to have a local store put it together for me. they said it would be 35. i am doing this simply because i so not have a "vice" or a work bench to mount a vice to. i really want a garage :(

9. Fire Sauce

Fire Sauce New Member

Dosen't cutting the FSB and keeping the carbine-length gas system defeat the whole purpose of having a Dissipator?

10. Razardica

Razardica Active Member

No, this wouldn't be a dissipator.

He wants to do something like this :

[​IMG]