MMA Rigan Machado Seminar Today...

Discussion in 'OT Bar' started by Antigeek, Jul 20, 2008.

1. Antigeek

Antigeek Who Dat!

What a blast!!

We had 2 2-hour sessions, gi in the morning and no-gi in the afternoon.

This morning, we worked what he called "X-Control" from the guard. From a closed guard, you grab your opponents left sleeve with your right hand, and then with your left hand, using your left forearm to trap his right hand. Then you release with your right hand, cross under his left arm, and grab his right sleeve.

From that we worked 3 different triangle choke setups, each one progressively more difficult. I'd describe them, but can't put it into words well enough to explain what we did. You'd be better off reading SubOptimal posts. Maybe I can try to get them on video or something for a later date.

After learning the three setups for the choke, we drilled it and drilled it and drilled it. Then we did another drill to work on hip movement. Lay on your back with your feet on the wall and your knees bent at a 90 degree angle. Keep your shoulders off the mat, don't let your feet touch the ground, nor your hands, and pivot back and forth right and left and touch the wall with your hands. Then as you go back and forth, thrown in a 360. After a couple of those, do several 360's in a row, then again in the other direction.

Afternoon session was no-gi. We did some clinch work to set up a guilliontine choke that was probably pretty basic, but I'd never done it before. Then worked some takedowns and an armbar from a double leg takedown (again, basic, but I have almost 0 no-gi experience), then counters for a guilliotine from butterfly guard, then leg locks. After those, we cleaned up technique for the RNC. Rigan showed a slightly different way to get into it. Instead of bringing the arm under the chin and giving your opponent the opportunity to fight your hands, you slide your hand under their chin and around their neck, clasp your hands to set the choke, then slide the other hand behind their head to finish it.

After that, more drilling of all the techniques, and more wall drills.

Excellent seminar. If you get a chance to go to one of his, by all means do it.

2. Searcher

Searcher New Member

Both of my coaches are black belts from Machado......

3. f-g

f-g OT Supporter

awesome :bowdown:

4. Searcher

Searcher New Member

They have some sick stuff.....