GUN rifle ranges in dallas, tx?

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by t1h, Dec 19, 2006.

1. t1h

t1h Guest

are there any? i'm going to visit my dad the 22nd-27th and he wants to shoot my m1 garand. is there anything there in the area? think any of them will be open saturday or tuesday?

2. McCroskey

McCroskey Jonny, what can you make out of this? OT Supporter

elm fork should be open. $15 any range all day. (pistol, rim, centerfire)

http://www.elmfork.com/location.htm

3. idleprocess

idleprocess Bring a dollar with you baby in the cold cold grou

4. t1h

t1h Guest

thanks, that place was gay as hell tho. you had to shoot at a 100 meeter target and hit it good before they'd let you shoot at 200m. which I sorta understand why, they are trying to help you sight in your rifle. but they don't allow FMJ. luckily I had some federal cartridge hunting soft point 30-06 with me (that is actually more lethal then FMJ).

i'm just used to my local unsupervised range i guess

5. Y2kAccord

Y2kAccord Everything happens for reasons I just dont know

there was more, but the 2 close to me have closed. :wtc:

I want to shoot my AR more than 25yds at Bullettrap

6. Y2kAccord

Never been to this place.. it doenst look that far away from me.. they have rifle ranges? The webpage doenst have a lot of info

7. t1h

t1h Guest

yeah they have a 200 yard rifle range for large caliber (that i used my garand on, and my dad's 30-30 lever action) and they have a small caliber rifle range (that was like 35 yards or something) that we shot my dad's .22 rifle on, and they have a separate pistol range as well that went from like 7-35 yards.

8. Y2kAccord

I am looking for a 50/100yd range for my AR.. they would be able to accomdate this?
    I already have HP .223 so I would be ok there

9. Mizer

Mizer Who needs sleep!

Dont forget that at ELM FORK you have to shoot through a giant tube buried in a huge dirt mound to get to your target. Never seen that before but its true. Although if your into Skeet, Trap, or Sporting clays they are probably the best around.

10. t1h

t1h Guest

yeah thats because they had like 24 shooting stands. they were dumb because i had my garand and they put some guy on the table next to me. and when you fire a garand the shells can eject up to 10 feet away, so I just quit shooting it and shot my dad's lever action 30-30.

11. Y2kAccord

so is this place worth checking out or not?

12. t1h

t1h Guest

its better then nothing. if you already have somewhere you go and are happy with them stay there, if you don't have anywhere to go I'd check them out, but you will find their rules are annoying. its $15 for a day of shooting. they only give you a couple of target sheets so be sure to bring some more.

13. Y2kAccord

The two closest ranges (backwoods and CCgunrange) both closed so I had been going to Bullettrap which is only 25yds indoors which is wasting ammo for my AR.
    So I was looking for a place. The garland and miller ranges posted before are like 40 miles away, and this one seems to be pretty accessable with its location.

14. t1h

t1h Guest

well then go there and check it out. its an outdoor range. its a long gravel driveway and you just park on the side. the first range at the entrance is the pistol range, the middle range is the 200 yard high caliber rifles, and the range closest to the building on the hill is the small caliber rifle range. you go inside the building on the hill and pay $15 and they give you a couple of targets and explain the rules (no FMJ, use hearing protection, etc). then at the large caliber rifle range they'll tell you a few more things, inspect your weapon, and then you sit at a table and shoot a target at 100 yards a few times and they will radio you how far off you were to help you sight your weapon. when you do good enough (not sure what their qualification is, i guess a few inches from bullseye :dunno: ) they will say ok your good, go to table #blah (each table is numbered) and you get setup, they ring a bell to halt firing, everyone backs away, they make sure all the guns are unloaded, then you can go to the field and check your hits/put up a new target (each target stand is numbered the same as the table you are at). like I said earlier, bring some extra targets, you can get a pack of 12 from walmart for like 2.50, or bass pro shops sells them too. anyway so put up a new target, go back to near your table, they'll ring the bell and you can sit back down and fire for a few minutes until they ring the bell again. the small caliber rifle range is the same except you don't have to hit the 100 yard target first. you get setup, they ring the bell, your place your target and go back, they ring the bell, you sit down and fire again. the pistol range they are more anal and have even more instruction, but no bell, the guy just yells to cease fire, you step away, checks the guns, lets you put up a new target, and when everyone is ready, commence firing.

i mean its definitely better then no range at all, but I like my unsupervised range here a lot more.

15. McCroskey

McCroskey Jonny, what can you make out of this? OT Supporter

They usually are more than happy to give me new targets if I go ask for them.
    I don't think they have a limit, although the last time I was there I bought
    some of the 3" orange dots they had inside to put an extra 6 targets on my
    sheet.....got tired of asking for more paper.

The tube is weird, but they have to do it since the targets are in such
    close proximity and shooting a ballistic round could make some people
    unhappy. Long ago they had a series of wooden beams that would prevent
    that but I guess they the tubes were more permenent.

16. Y2kAccord

Where is this unsupervised range at?