GUN Rifle Question

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by Surefire, Oct 5, 2008.

1. Surefire

Surefire OT Supporter

I've had the itch to get a rifle lately. Right now, I'm looking to spend under $1000.

Currently I'm looking at a Russian VEPR, chambered in .308. From I've been able to read, this is supposed to be an accurate rifle. I'm looking at at one that's apparently next to new, with the 'factory' scope installed, for $950.

I don't hunt, but I would like something that is good for longer ranges, and has fairly cheap ammo.

Thoughts? Suggestions as to a better buy perhaps?I've never shot one of these, and honestly it would be hard to get my hands on one to test out.

2. yar1182

yar1182 New Member

AR-15. Get a inexpensive dpms, RRA, or cmg 16" flat top with a low profile gas block and put the rest of the money on a decent scope. Plenty accurate out to 400 yards which is plenty good for most people who actually shoot as opposed to posers on the net.

3. Surefire

Surefire OT Supporter

No way I can do all that under a thousand, is there?

4. yar1182

yar1182 New Member

It's possible. Might have to shop around. Might have to buy used.

5. saxman

saxman Burninating the peasants

my ar was under a grand :dunno:

6. Surefire

Surefire OT Supporter

Huh. So I did some looking around . . . Jesus, there are a lot of variations of AR-15s!

So . . . is there a real accuracy (over longer ranges) difference with bushmasters, or the shorter versions of AR-15s? And what about the different barrel casings (not sure if this is the right terminology, but the casing that surrounds the barrel after the receiver and before the forward sight)?

Basically, I like the AR-15-seems like a decent rifle. I basically want a jack of all trades: something good at range, could be used for hunting. Any help in sorting through the gazillion configurations would be great.

7. THT

THT The easy way is always mined

Handguard/forend is what you're referring to. Free floating it would make a difference (like any other rifle) however you'd have to upgrade and I don't think you could do it and stay under a grand. If you want an all-around rifle, get a midlength (18" barrel) A4 (flat top)

8. If you're looking to hunt, watch out with the .223. Some places have minimum caliber rules for different game. I'm not a hunter, so I don't know the specifics, but make sure you're ok to use whatever caliber you end up buying. If you don't need a semi-auto you should take a look at a Remington 700 in .308 You should be able to find a new one under $500. That leaves you with plenty of money for a decent scope. The neat thing about the 700 is that not only are they really accurate out of the box, but there is a ton of aftermarket support for them if you wanted to get all crazy modifying it.

9. yar1182

yar1182 New Member

There is no such thing as a do it all jack of all trades rifle. Guns are tools and you need the right tool for each job.

There is no rifle that can do hunting, competition, bench rest, long range, cqb, and win beauty contest. Lets get real.

10. Dumbstixlars

Dumbstixlars Ron Paul/AR-15/Glock/old car/Scooby/R/C croo OT Supporter

11. johnson

johnson New Member

12. Dumbstixlars

Dumbstixlars Ron Paul/AR-15/Glock/old car/Scooby/R/C croo OT Supporter

13. one66stang

one66stang Haters.com

Rem SPS Tac .308 or .223 and $450 for glass

14. Hooligan

Hooligan New Member

Does it have to be a semi auto?

There are so many really accurate bolt action rifles out there.