GUN Rifle Case = Concealed weapon

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by TL1000RSquid, Aug 25, 2008.

1. TL1000RSquid

TL1000RSquid ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Man arrested carrying weapons at Pelosi hotel
    By P. SOLOMON BANDA Associated Press
    Article Last Updated: 08/24/2008 07:38:34 PM MDT
    http://www.denverpost.com/news/ci_10292097
    U.S. House Speaker Nancy Pelosi (The Denver Post)
    DENVER—House Speaker Nancy Pelosi was briefly evacuated from her downtown Denver hotel on Saturday when a man carrying two hunting rifles and two pistols tried to check in to the hotel.

Secret Service spokesman Malcolm Wiley said 29-year-old Joseph Calanchini of Pinedale, Wyo., faces a charge of unlawful carrying of a weapon after police officers at the Grand Hyatt hotel noticed him carrying a rifle-type case while checking in. Calanchini did not have a concealed weapons permit, said Lance Clem, spokesman for the Colorado Department of Public Safety.

Wiley said authorities were not releasing information about whether the weapons were loaded because the case remained under investigation. Wiley said the charge is the same whether the weapons were loaded or unloaded.

Pelosi and other guests briefly evacuated the hotel but were never in danger, Pelosi spokesman Brendan Daly said.

Calanchini told KUSA-TV it was bad timing.

"I didn't even know the DNC was in town. I don't watch the news," Calanchini told the station from jail before he was released on $10,000 bond. "If I had known, I would have done things differently. It was a simple mistake."

Calanchini told KUSA he had the weapons because he was getting ready for a hunting trip Aug. 28.

Authorities were investigating a report that Calanchini was in town on business and had had the weapons worked upon, including mounting of site scopes, to prepare for the trip.

"The speaker was never in any danger and she appreciates the quick and professional response of the police," said Daly.

2. 1979TA

1979TA OT Supporter

ugh...liberals

3. Admitted

Admitted I shouldn't be on OT right now.

Calanchini will win this case, no doubt.

4. xpinchx

xpinchx hes got a nice cock, on the thin side but its stil

It's sickening to know how uneducated authorities can be when it comes to gun laws.

5. more off

more off Moderator

another reason why i ditched my big hard plastic rifle case for this;

[​IMG]

6. johnson

johnson New Member

With something that says tac force...

7. skeletor25rs

skeletor25rs Yetis & Deer

Wirelessly posted via wap.offtopic.com (SAMSUNG-SGH-I607/I607FG1 Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 4.01; Windows CE; Smartphone; 320x240))

Link to clear plexiglass rifle case? :rolleys:

8. more off

more off Moderator

better than my old case which is huge and hard plastic and obviously for guns :hsd:

i can put any patch i want over that tac force logo :rolleyes:

9. Soybomb

Soybomb New Member

Hopefully he can sue for enough to not have to work again.

10. more off

more off Moderator

ahhh the american dream

11. Willie J

Willie J New Member

i love my discreet case. it looks like a keyboard case

12. cabriolet

cabriolet ...

Mine is probably better, it looks like a twin double sided dragon dildo case. Everyone just thinks I'm a perv, when I'm really a super secret government assassin.

13. Soybomb

Soybomb New Member

Gotta' hit 'em where it hurts, no better way to draw attention to a problem than making it really really expensive.

14. hsmith

hsmith OT Supporter

From the reports the case even had locks on it :ugh:

15. yar1182

yar1182 New Member

I travel a lot with my guns. You have to practice some situational awareness. No matter how you try to be discreet a sharp eye theif or in this case a goverment agent is going to spot that you either have guns or some other expensive or suspicious equipment.

When I pull into the hotel I make my plan on how to get my gear up to the room. I usually grab one of those luggage carts and put the rifle cases on the bottom and the duffle cases on top. This does a little to help camoflage all the guns.

Golf bags, guitar cases, big pelican cases, whatever. To a theif it looks like there are high dollar items. It's either guns, camera equipment, expensive gold clubs, or a nice guitar. I spot the trouble before it has a chance to manuver on me. This is my primary concern when I forced to stay in a unframilar hotel in a unframilar town that is kind of seedy.

I do try to stay at better hotels as it's just worth the extra $50-$75 over a budget hotel. If nothing more for the room service, and hdtv. Knowing people who work private security they are not looking for anything that looks like a gun case. They are looking for anyone who has something that looks like it could potentially conceal a weapon.

I did have a few scary incidents. On our Oregon trip one morning I got up early and started to load the mini van as everyone else was lagging still getting up. As I walked a bunch of soft rifle cases (the kind that scream black rifle) a cop pulls into the parking lot. I saw him but knew if I acted suspicious he would be even more concerned. He stopped and watched me very carefully. I put the rifles in the mini van, waved hi to him and went back to the room for a second load of guns. He waited there and probably ran the plates. I told my buddies as they were all cops but they didn't seem concerned. When I dropped the 2nd load of rifles he just drove off.

16. Soybomb

Soybomb New Member

I think I like the cav arms bag because it kind of looks like one of those folding camp chairs but like yar said I don't think you're ever as discreet as you want to be.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

17. Initial E

Initial E New Member

hell mine looks like a guitar case. That guy should've known better

18. Mikael

Mikael OT Supporter

way to go mall ninja

19. Finest

Finest OG #93

After seeing Desperado, even guitar cases seem suspicious to me. Even more so if the person carrying it has long dirty hair and wearing a black mariachi jump suit. :o That just screams secret assassin!

20. AustinL911

AustinL911 Illudium Q-36 Explosive Space Modulator

I guess my question is; did he really do anything wrong? What's illegal about bringing your rifles into the hotel with you?

Fucking Pelosi. Hate that cunt.

21. Dumbstixlars

Dumbstixlars Ron Paul/AR-15/Glock/old car/Scooby/R/C croo OT Supporter

WTF, so if he had them slung over his shoulder he would have been nailed for brandishing a weapon.

22. cabriolet

cabriolet ...

Shit'll get dropped. They just had to press charges so they could hold him in jail to check him out, that's all.

You show up to a hotel with a bunch of high profile politicians with scoped weapons, concealed, in cases, or otherwise, it's asking for trouble.

It sucks but, they couldn't just let the guy go till they checked out the details and his background. How do they know he wasn't a terrorist walking in there with the same story?

The concealed weapon charge was a BS charge and they knew it too, it was just a tactic to keep in around till they could vet him and his story

23. Soybomb

Soybomb New Member

http://www.denverpost.com/ci_10292295

sometimes we're our own worst enemies. are you really justifying their actions?

24. HisXLNC

HisXLNC ๑۩۞۩๑ Hot ๑۩۞۩๑

That's why I use a guitar case that says Ibanez on the side. :o

25. phoenixTX

phoenixTX New Member

I can't believe the 'concealed carry' charge is for the rifles. The way I understand it, the rifle case just arose suspicion, but then they found two unloaded handguns in his suitcase. Since he was out of state and planning a hunting trip, I would think that the handguns would be considered 'stored for traveling' or something ... not a fucking concealed weapon.

Next I'm wondering if he gave permission to have his bags searched, or did they have probable cause at that point? Locked rifle case, and then searching through his suitcase?

Sounds like a citizen exercising his 2nd amendment rights got fucked over with no one being too concerned about the 4th amendment .... and then $10,000 bond for a trumped up gun charge? Oops, there goes the 8th amendment