Riding Gear for the New Guy

Discussion in 'OT Driven' started by chevelledriverj, Apr 29, 2002.

1. Riding gear for the new guy..

I was leaning towards a Joe Rocket jacket and an HJC CL-12 Streetfighter helmet.. but after going through the Riding Gear section of sportbikes.net, I've found that both those products are shit.

So far, the only thing I have an inkling towards is Alpinestars' MK-3 touring boots and Aussie Draggin' Jeans.

All I'm planning to do right now is learn and cruise around..

btw - I've got a line on a '99 R6 for $3000, low miles, never dropped, owner(my boss) wants to sell for money towards an R1 or motorboat.. snag or let it go? don't think i'd be able to find a used 600R at that price..

2. Vtec44

Vtec44 OG!

I have a HJC LT-20 and it's great. If you're talking about look than it's pretty plain, but it fits me well and DOT/SNELL approved for about $150. I also got the Joe Rocket Meteor 3 jacket in gold, cool armors. Everyone I ride with like the jacket because it's pretty bright and people can see you from far away, it has pretty good cold protection and removable liner so you can wear it in the hot summer days, and you can replace the armors with better ones. That jacket cost me about $200. I had a JR Atomic but didn't like it cuz it didn't have the armor. Haven't tried any other gears so I don't know what to tell you.

Hey that's a pretty good deal on the R6. Save some money to sign up for MSF course if you haven't

3. I heard it's pretty loud underneath the HJCs and that Joe Rocket's seams aren't very strong when you fall..

4. Guest

Guest Guest

most all the low end helmets are going to be noisy, some people it bothers, personally I don't care.
    I don't have a problem with joe rocket gear, it's not the best, it's not the worst, it's reasonably priced... if you can afford better go for it, but I don't think you're going wrong with JR by any means.

make sure your gear all fits propperly, that's probably more important than the brand.

5. Vtec44

Vtec44 OG!

All helmets are going to be noisy, even the most expensive one. Invest $3 on ear plugs, your hearing well thank you 5 years from now. I haven't had a chance to test out how strong my JR jacket is, hopefully will never have to, so I can't tell you that :big grin: . I know that they claim the Meteor is water proof, it's more like water resistant.

6. flynfrog

flynfrog Cool isnt Cheap

What huh

verry good advice after riding quads usaly with no helment since i was 5 i can definatly tell i have soem hearing loss