Riddle me this: Toshiba Laptop screen goes white.

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by jdw, Dec 21, 2008.

1. jdw

jdw New Member

Toshiba M45-S359

Intel Pentium® M processor 760 [2.0GHz, 2MB L2 cache, 533MHz FSB]
    Microsoft® Windows XP Home Edition
    1024MB PC4200 DDR2 533MHz SDRAM (512MBx2)
    15.4" Diagonal Wide-screen XGA Display w/TruBrite Technology (1280x800)
    Intel® Graphics Media Accelerator 900 with 8MB-128MB dynamically allocated graphics memory

I was naive when I bought it (from Best Buy) so I 'invested' in the service plan as well. I've had all kinds of problems with it over the last 3 years. Last time I had it in it corrupted a hard drive (Loss of power on boot) so they stuck a 250GB Seagate in it. Started dual booting with Ubuntu 8.04.1 and after running for a while the screen would go white. Most of the time it seemed like it'd happen coming out of screen saver but I can't be sure. Figured it was Ubuntu until I left it running in XP and it did the same thing. Stuck the OEM 100GB drive back in it (which I ran chkdsk on and got working) with a fresh install of XP Pro and I can not get it to happen again. I've been back and forth between the 100GB Toshiba drive and the 250GB Samsung drive and the 250GB will always do it after about 20 minutes of running. It usually takes 20-30 minutes for it to go white the first time. After that it'll usually go white as soon as it loads the OS.

So, right now I've got a 15" CRT plugged in and when the laptop screen goes white the CRT works fine. If I fn+F5 to switch through monitor configurations the laptop will come back for each option except for the option it was set on when it went white.

I'm currently running completely fresh installs of XP Pro on both drives. I've experience the problem ONLY on the 250GB at multiple stages of updates.

Cliffs:
    Laptop screen goes white.
    Only happens with 250GB Samsung drive - does not with OEM 100GB Toshiba drive
    Happens on both Windows XP Pro and Ubuntu 8.01.4
    Cycling through monitor combination options fn+F5 will bring back laptop screen for other monitor options but not original.
    All the guys at work (sys admin) give me the :wtf: look when I try explaining problem.

EDIT:
    Leave it to this piece of shit to make me a liar.
    I've got the OEM drive in it right now and it went white as well (despite all the time I spent trying to make it do it before) - so at this point I'll venture a guess that it is in fact NOT the hard drive doing some weird things. Once again however - if I cycle through monitor options - it'll come back. See if I can get another one of the options to fail as well here.

Last edited: Dec 21, 2008
  2. DarqueGT

DarqueGT New Member

i use to fix white-wash LCD problems by replacing the LCD. Of course, another primary cause for this would be a loose video cable on the back of the LCD.

Does it just blank out and go white or does it seem to fade into white?

3. jdw

jdw New Member

it just blanks out.

I just can't manage to rationalize to myself why it would change as I cycled through the display options though. :dunno: Should be one set of signal cables to the LCD and if it quits working for one it should quit working for all.