Ricey's novice BJJ log

Discussion in 'MMA Training Logs' started by Ricey McRicerton, Jun 18, 2008.

1. Ricey McRicerton

Ricey McRicerton New Member

Neon Belly

I guess I'll start one of these as kind of a journal for myself to go back and check out on occassion.

I attend Pendergrass Academy of Martial Arts, which is a Gustavo Machado affiliate school. Our instructors are Rob and Guy Pendergrass. Both are great guys and brown belts under Guga.

I've been doing BJJ for about 2 years now, going twice a week. I've competed in a couple tournaments, but they were right when I first started training and I didn't do very well. I haven't really had the urge to compete since them, and would rather help my school out by working the tourneys. :hs:

I'm a 4 stripe white belt (don't know if the stripes are common at other school, or just gustavo machado affiliates) and would eventually like to get my blue belt.

Monday we worked on open guard stuff. Mostly trying to keep inside control when you're standing in open guard and the person on the ground is trying to get their feet on your biceps for spider guard.

I stayed and rolled 4 rounds, and did well. I swept our 225lb purple belt, which is big for me.

Last edited: Feb 16, 2009
  2. Ricey McRicerton

About 2 months ago I felt like I was very stagnant, so I asked one of the instructors what I could do to try and do better.

I was having a lot of trouble with sitting in the guard and working so much on sweeping that I wasn't really being a threat. He told me to grab a couple of attacks I like (which ended up being the armbar and triangle) and focus on those time after time after time. That's helped me more than any single other thing I've ever learned from them.

3. Bausk

Bausk New Member

Yeah stripes are common. Good luck on your log. :bowdown:

4. Ricey McRicerton

Good lord. Been sick off my ass for the past week and a half. I'm finally starting to get where I don't feel poorly.

I'm going to the beginners class, then "regular" class and then if I feel well enough I'll stay and roll tonight. I can't believe I've been out almost 10 days now. :eek3:

5. Ricey McRicerton

Made the beginners class where we went over some basic mount escapes. Upa, shrimp escape, etc. We learned a cool way to start the shrimp escape if the guy on top has grapevined your legs. Circle one side off, use the other leg to drag his leg on top of yours, then escape.

Advanced class we worked some knee on belly stuff. Baseball choke from there and the basic cross choke.

I have a really hard time with the basic cross choke still. :hs:

6. Ricey McRicerton

Worked on some knee on belly stuff as well as some attacks when a person turtles up. I went to the beginners/advanced and stayed and rolled 4 times.

7. Ricey McRicerton

Worked some turtle defense and positional advancement saturday. Didn't get to roll because of the Gustavo seminar which I didn't stay for. :hs: I'd really like to do more seminars, but we don't have a school big enough to facilitate as many as we have at the seminars and I just end up frustrated.

8. Ricey McRicerton

Went to the beginners, advanced class and rolled 4x tonight, including once with one of the 260+ lb guys.

Caught a blue belt in an arm bar, which is always a good feeling for me. :hs:

9. Ricey McRicerton

Worked the preuvian necktie as well as the darce choke tonight. Rolled 4 times, including my last one with a 275 lb guy.

10. AK-47

AK-47 Banned

i got caught in one of those yesterday :rofl:, it's like everybody is trying them now, fucking CB Dollaway :squint:

11. Ricey McRicerton

That's a painful ass choke. I think that or the 10 finger guillotine is my least favorite.

I helped run a Grapplemania tournament this past saturday in Henderson, NC. I was helping coach a guy from our school who was up 12-0 with 45 seconds left. He was stalling and I told him to just move to another position. He comes around to side control and somehow gets triangled. :rofl:

12. Ricey McRicerton

We worked some half guard stuff for the bottom guy. Old school sweep with a few variations, etc.

13. Ricey McRicerton

We did some fairly basic x guard transisions and sweeps yesterday. I am not good at x guard and don't feel like I move well from the bottom. I was working with a bigger guy and was having a really hard time stretching him out. The only way I could mess with his base at all was basically to rock back and forth.

14. Gogoplata

Gogoplata Guest

X-guard with a big guy on top of you is fucking tough man. Keep working hard Brother

15. Ricey McRicerton

Thanks man. We worked a couple of sitting up guard transitions last night. Basic sweep where you trap the arm to the side you're sweeping, fall to your shoulder, and sweep with the leg, the counter if they post the leg and the counter if they base out too far. I'm trying to teach myself to start the leg movement before I fall to my shoulder. :hs: If I go to the shoulder first, I'm stuck if they base out and I can't reach it. Trying to get my posture back and get far enough out to the side to re-sweep isn't going to happen.

I rolled a couple of times, but my lower back has been acting up the last few weeks, so I was trying not to get that hurt any more. Did well agianst 2 white belts and would have beaten the blue belt I rolled with on points. :hs: It's really tough for me to see that kind of thing and not just look at it as not being able to tap them and I suck. :rofl:

I want my damn blue belt! :rofl:

16. Ricey McRicerton

I went to class last night and we did some more sitting up guard work, which I enjoy.

A couple sweeps if they try to post the leg, including one really fancy one that I actually like and hit rolling later that night.

We have a purple belt that comes down occasionally. He brought his son (who is a 4 stripe blue) but hasn't been training all that long. I'd never rolled with this guy before, and was kind of scoffing at his blue belt status.

He deserves it. He deserves every last stripe on that son of a bitch. :rofl: He triangled me twice in 5 minutes and there wasn't a fucking thing I could do about it.

17. LOLSTi

LOLSTi DTOM

this is why I love jiu jitsu. :rofl:

18. Ricey McRicerton

I talked to my coach last night and found out this guy has been doing it for almost 5 years. :rofl: Lying son of a bitch. He told me he had been at it about 18 months.

19. Ricey McRicerton

Went and learned more sitting up guard stuff this morning, but with a no gi emphasis. I rolled with a guy from an affiliate school that was hellbent on rolling with me, but was about 225. Complete and total waste of time. He layed on me the entire time while I tryed to get out of half guard and couldn't. I hate that shit. I get nothing out of it except finding out after the fact that you weigh 60 lbs more than I do and you get nothing out of it because it's like you're fighting a kid. :mad:

20. LOLSTi

LOLSTi DTOM

I can relate. I train with a guy who is 275+. Lots of half guard sit-age.

21. Ricey McRicerton

Went over a double arm stack pass to forcing the guy you're passing into turtle by stacking him and then going to a clock choke tonight.

Rolled twice. Tapped a guy I normally roll with with a straight foot lock and got the other guy I normally roll with in a kneebar.

22. LOLSTi

LOLSTi DTOM

i'm surprised that they allow whitebelts to attack below the waist at your place.

23. Ricey McRicerton

Eh, I try to keep it to stuff that's legal in competition, and I don't do it to guys I don't know. :dunno: I'm not out there trying to heel-hook everybody or anything. Just straight foot locks.

24. Ricey McRicerton

We went over some more clock choke stuff, as well as some hybrid rear mount, side stuff. One hook in, one hook over the hip, then close your guard with the legs like that.

25. Ricey McRicerton

Work killed me this past weekend. 8am-11pm Friday, 8-5 Saturday and 10-4 Sunday. I could only stay for the beginners class tonight to go home and take care of shit I should have gotten done this weekend had I not been working. We went over some basic escapes from the bottom in mount.