rhino-lining / line-xing entire truck?

Discussion in 'OT Driven' started by gui3, Mar 22, 2008.

1. gui3

gui3 all the dude ever wanted was his rug back

i'm going to be taking my bronco out of the garage to be my daily driver pretty soon. it's a '96, and the paint is getting old, so it's kind of tedious to keep it looking shiny. also, these fuckers tend to get rusty when they get on in years.

so i was thinking (i googled, people have done this) of having the whole body of my truck painted in rhino lining or line-x. it's a big ugly truck and no longer needs to be shiny and pretty.

what do you think? do you have any experience with the stuff long-term?

2. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

I've seen some front ends and bumpers with it and it holds up well except to physical damage... you need to get it re-sprayed to fix that -- and the lifetime warranty doesn't cover it.

3. ffxhub

ffxhub OT Supporter

I remember seeing a pic of a guy who did he whole 1985 F-150 SuperCab Long bed. They even had a different finish, almost like the truck was wet and had water droplets all over, looked really cool and I would consider doing it to my old truck. One downside I've heard of is that it adds quite a bit of weight if your doing your entire truck.

4. E-dub

E-dub New Member

A guy I knew back in college did this to his Jeep, it was actually really cool.

[​IMG]

Smash Lab on the Discovery Channel a couple weeks ago tested Rhino liner as a way to protect buildings against explosions. I'd love to have a big diesel coated in the stuff.

5. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

eww, rhino lining is crap.

6. E-dub

E-dub New Member

Line-X, Rhino Liner, I don't know the exact name of the stuff they used but whatever it was, it can be purchased normally and shielded against bomb blasts very effectively.

7. Snafu

Snafu more than meets the eye

what's better?

8. IslanderOffRoad

IslanderOffRoad Do you even lift kit? OT Supporter

I know alot of people who use it on rockers and stuff... but they tend to buy herculiner and do it themselves.

9. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

linex is the most durable, but it also the most harsh on your cargo. I would use reflex if you needed something more rubbery, or a bedrug if you needed very soft.

I would never use rhino. It's weak, it peels, and it fades super quick.

10. deusexaethera

deusexaethera OT Supporter

I think something like that would be good in place of interior carpeting, but I wouldn't put it on the outside of any car -- except in places where you could reasonably expect it to get scratched or dinged.

11. mtnbikekid08

mtnbikekid08 Aime-moi moins, mais aime-moi longtemps

Rhino-lining is if you want to never sell your car ever. You basically lose the complete selling value of it.
    Only one type of person would want to buy it later on: an offroader that doesn't give a shit about the vehicle.

Another thing: It's heavy, and not smooth. Both these things ruin gas mileage, which is a no-no with our current gas prices as a DD.

But at least you're not retarded like some guy who took a brand new Colorado, and had it X-lined.

12. E-dub

E-dub New Member

If I did not live in such an urban area, I'd buy a big diesel and do this to it. A modded, lined and lifted big diesel would be a pretty cool rig.

13. louie42zj

louie42zj OT Supporter

I would go with Line-x. It is true it is a harder and doesn't fade like the other. I have it in my bed and I love it.