GUN Revolver internal lock....?

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by Guvnor, Jan 7, 2009.

1. Guvnor

Guvnor NYM3 and Me

How can you tell if a revolver has this internal lock that I keep reading is dreaded by owners?

2. Milky

Milky I'm in your Millenium Falcon, rumbling your Wookie

The lock is on the side of the pistol by the cylinder release lever. You really can't miss it.

3. lt1_kid

lt1_kid OT Supporter

No lock
    [​IMG]
    Lock
    [​IMG]

Close up
    (huge pic warning)
    [​IMG]

4. You can disassemble the pistol (use a hollow ground screwdriver that tightly fits the screws!!!!) and remove the lock. You have a few choices how to remove the lock...

1.) You can remove the lock plate in the pistol. The plate is the flat piece of metal with the little tab on it that engages the hammer to lock it. In this case, you leave everything else in the pistol. I've heard that it's possible that the other parts of the lock system can come loose and jam up the action though.

2.) You can remove ALL the parts of the lock system. This way there's nothing that can come loose and jam up the pistol. The disadvantage to this method is that it leaves you with 2 open holes in the side of your pistol.

3.) You can remove the lock plate like in option 1, then grind off the little tab, then put it back in the pistol. Also, leave everything else in place. There is no chance that parts will come loose with this option, and there aren't open holes left in your frame. The only disadvantage to this option is that if you have to send the pistol back to S&W, you might have a problem since you have modified it.

5. DaninTexas

DaninTexas OT Supporter

Why would they ruin a perfectly good wheel gun like that. I love my revolvers. Never will I own one with an internal lock

6. Guvnor

Guvnor NYM3 and Me

Fuck...mine has the lock!!!! I wonder if it's locked now. I daily carry this thing and have not shot it yet. I wonder if it'll ever shoot right now.

7. Just get rid of the lock if it bothers you.

8. Guvnor

Guvnor NYM3 and Me

Does not bother me..just not sure it is it on right now. If I pulled it now to shoot, would it?

9. If you have a model with a hammer, there will be a raised "flag" when the lock is on. If you have a model with an internal hammer, there is no visible indicator that the lock is on. If you want to know if the lock is on, unload it, make sure again it's unloaded, point it in a safe direction, and try dry firing it.

10. Laurel

Laurel New Member

Take the bullets out and pull the trigger!

My lock was NOT engaged from the factory.

11. Hibidi-Shibidi

Hibidi-Shibidi New Member

You are seriously carrying a gun for SD that you have never shot??

12. Guvnor

Guvnor NYM3 and Me

I have a hammerless one, no flag. I just removed the rounds and dry fired it. It did what it should have. I could see the firing pin striking, so I guess it's off. It'll never go on...that's for sure. Thanks!!

13. Guvnor

Guvnor NYM3 and Me

Just bought it two days ago. I have other weapons, but i will shoot it this weekend.

14. Hibidi-Shibidi

I bought a S&W 442 and refused to carry it until I could get to the range and get a box or two down the range.

I just don't think its all that great of an idea to carry a gun to protect your life that you have never shot and are obviously unfamiliar with.

Carry what you are familiar with until you get acquainted with your new gun.

15. Laurel

Laurel New Member

Carrying a gun you've never shot is better than not carrying a gun at all. It might not be ideal but if no gun is the alternative, than I'd rather have something, especially something as simple as a revolver.

16. Guvnor

Guvnor NYM3 and Me

I'm not in Kuwait. I've carried since CCW was introduced here and I feel comfortable walking around with it for a few days until I get to the range. Besides, It's a revolver, they work.

17. Guvnor

Guvnor NYM3 and Me

Say that again please!! :bowdown:

18. Hibidi-Shibidi

He said he had other guns that he has carried, so while I agree that its better than not carrying at all, I would be reluctant to carry it over a gun I am familiar with.

Either or, to each their own.

I guess I should mention that I carried my XD instead of the revolver until I was familiar with it.

19. Guvnor

Guvnor NYM3 and Me

I appreciate your advice

20. Hibidi-Shibidi

Sorry if I came off as an asshole. I don't want to be the newb that pisses anyone off.

:hug:

21. Silver96Firebird

Silver96Firebird New Member

From what I've heard, I don't think there have been any known cases of the
    'lock failure" affecting a 642 or 442. Correct me if I am wrong.

22. I've read a couple or reports about the locks engaging during shooting and movement scenarios. I did a bunch of reading when I got my 340PD and there were reports of the 340PD lock engaging as well as the .38spl guns.

23. el capitan

el capitan New Member

i've shot my 686-p a bunch, and have never had an issue with the lock. given the option i would have bought one without, but it doesn't really bother me that it has it either.

:dunno:

24. el capitan

el capitan New Member

i'm not saying it can't/doesn't happen, all i'm saying is that mine doesn't bother me. i carry my key on my key change, and i got a spare in my range bag.

if i was carrying it daily, i'd think about hacking up the lock flag