GUN Revolver Choice - SP101 vs GP100

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by houseofdon, Feb 13, 2008.

1. houseofdon

houseofdon Simplify Moderator

Help me out with this one, guys. I've been going back and forth on this for a couple weeks and can't seem to make up my mind. Guys on my local gun board have a couple of great revolvers for what I think are great prices.

First is a Ruger GP100 in 357, 4" Blued. $310
    [​IMG]

Second is a Ruger SP101 in 2.25" Stainless. Comes with a couple speed loaders and a holster that I couldn't use (damn being a lefty!). $325
    [​IMG]

Both are used but seem to be in comparable condition. I don't think that I'd use either of these for concealed carry. I'm new to shooting and need to work on my fundamentals for a while so I probably won't even have my CPL for some time yet and even if I did, I don't think either of these would be my first choice. I mostly just want my first wheelgun and perhaps the occasional open carry when I'm backpacking.

What say you, WMD?! Do either of these stand out as better than the other? Or are neither of these even good deals?

2. minus

minus Damn you, Damn the Broccoli, and Damn the Wright B

If you are not going to carry go with the gp. I would personally look for one of the dan wessons with interchangeable barrels in .357. Super accurate because you set the barrel to cyl gap. Awesome guns.

3. sprite

sprite Active Member

Both are pretty good guns but the GP has a better reputation overall, and if you don't want to carry it then the extra barrel length and weight of the GP will only be a benefit.

4. houseofdon

Ok, I might be paranoid, but does it look like there has been some Photoshopping done to the GP100 at the front bottom of the barrel. The guy has been elusive with me when I've asked him to describe the condition...

5. smartypants

smartypants New Member

I prefer Smith Revolvers.

6. UrbanKnight

UrbanKnight Good, Bad, I'm the guy with the gun

Sp101 HANDS DOWN... One of the best little carry revolvers made...

UK

7. houseofdon

Ugh. SP101 is sold and the guy with the GP was trying to pull one over on me. We had shot emails back and forth for a while and he would never give me a detailed description of the condition...just vague bullshit like "It's a used gun, shows some wear." So today I emailed him and said:

He responds
    :rofl: What a faggot.

8. Paul Revere

Paul Revere OT Supporter

:rofl: it happens

9. houseofdon

Yeah, I know. It still kind of boggles my mind though. You're not going to trick me into buying it. Even if we had met halfway, does he expect me to to even LOOK at the gun before handing him the cash? It's not like I'm going to say, "Well gee, this gun is beat up and looks like hell, but I appreciate you meeting me halfway and I'd hate for you to have spent that time only to not sell the gun. Here is your money, nice man."