Revisiting the "ways to make the forum helpful" thread.

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by deusexaethera, Jun 11, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. deusexaethera

deusexaethera OT Supporter

I only really have two questions at this point. I doubt I'll get straight answers, but I'll ask them anyway.

1. Why was the one thread in months where people could air their grievances about the management locked?

2. Why do the mods in this forum seem to think that their jobs consist solely of locking threads about illegal shit? Does the shorthand "mod" not derive from "moderator", and doesn't a moderator in any other context have the job of controlling and guiding the interaction of various elements?

For myself, I'd really like to see some actual moderation going on. That nice little spiel at the end of the previous thread, which was followed by the mods all patting themselves on the back, is just bullshit rhetoric until I actually see some participation in the forum that goes beyond mere policing.

2. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

It just comes down to the mods in this particular subforum have little interest in participating within the scope of discussion. I can't say they're wrong for that... It just seems their interests are not particularly inline with what we are.

3. deusexaethera

deusexaethera OT Supporter

Exactly. Look at the more popular forums; take TriShield and Emfuser for example; not a day goes by that they don't have something to say about the topics being discussed under their watch.

I will go so far as to say the mods here are wrong for not giving a damn about participating. If they've got busy lives, and/or the discussions don't interest them, fine -- stop being mods and get new ones assigned who do give a damn. What good is a king who doesn't care about his kingdom?

4. DatacomGuy

DatacomGuy is moving to Canada

I disagree, and we've already discussed. As the last thread said in the last post, if you have more questions or concerns then PM one of us.

I don't see where I said "Please start a new thread".

We all participate. I reply in 50% of the threads in this forum. Granted it wasn't the same 2 months ago, but our network here at work blocks and unblocks OT on and off from time to time. Sometimes its hard to get on while in the office. Sometimes I have nothing to contribute to a thread, so I don't reply to it. I don't know anything and everything about every topic, nor do I claim to. If you recall, in the previous thread I mention that I've dedicated my blackberry to helping me participate in this forum. Not many moderators do that. I have RSS feeds setup, thread/PM updates pushed to my phone, yada yada yada.

To answer your questions in order.

#1: The topic had covered most the concerns, and they had been addressed. Leaving a thread open where everyone could bitch and argue isn't going to fix nor address the problem. I summarized the thread, and ended it. If I recall, I asked for questions and concerns to be PM'ed to us so we can personally attend to whatever concerns you have on a one-on-one basis. I have not received any PM's.

#2: None of us said that our jobs are to only lock illegal shit. A few of the complaints in the said thread were that we are slow to lock illegal threads, so we touched on that topic. We know what our job is. We know that our job requires us to actively participate (which I know I do) in open discussion, motivate discussion, motivate participation by members, and guide interaction and discussion. Hence why the "bad fellowship" sticky at the top of the thread, and the locked threads where arguing is rampid.

As I said - if you have a concern with the rules here, or if you have a concern with how I moderate (or the other moderators of the forum), then take it up with me. Not the forum.

This forum is for C&P and IT related discussion. Not drama.

End of public discussion. Do not start another thread on this topic.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.