Reviewed: The EDGE ShMITT

Discussion in 'That'll Buff Right Out' started by justin30513, Sep 22, 2006.

1. justin30513

justin30513 New Member

The EDGE "ShMitt"

As you all know, I'm an avid user of the EDGE 2000 Pad System. So when Aaron from EDGE sent me a ShMitt wash mitt to test and review, I could not refuse. This company is willing to stir things up and reinvent products that we use. I've had nothing but success from all of their products and this is one is no exception.

Let's start with some background on this new wash mitt. It can be made in several combinations. The one I'm writing about uses their super-soft white foam from their finishing pad coupled with the yellow form from their cutting pad. My two favorite foam pads in a wash mit. Yes.

I used this one mitt on over 60+ vehicles over a 1 month period. There were SUV's, cars, and trucks in the mix. Sharp edges and very dirty panels. I washed out with my hand, my pressure washer, and daily in my washing machine. I even used it on wheels and in the engine bay. Believe me, it got abused.

I'm going to break this down into five sections comparing what they claim to my own experiences.

FASTER

No loose fibers to snag
    This is something that I had a huge problem with other mitts. I'd finish a car and there would be fabric stuck around the emblems. Nasty looking and was destroying my new mitt. Not with the ShMitt. Nothing come off the mitt except the dirt.

Reaches tight spaces
    The EDGE technology came into play here. I could now get into areas of the grills and window edges like never before.

Virtually drop-proof
    As you can see from the pictures, it fit my hand like a glove. As a normal mitt would be filled with water, it became heavy at one end. This would cause it to slide off my hand and sometimes drop off. Not a good thing. The ShMitt distributes the water evenly throughout the pad giving the same resistance.

BETTER

Foam specifically engineered for gentle cleaning
    Using their softest foam, I never noticed any marring or scratching. I used it for 1 month on over 60+ vehicles and never induced any swirls.

Convoluted Edge Wave© surface
    This allowed the dirty water to flow from under the pad and off the vehicles surface. The more textured yellow pad side easily removed bugs and grime from surfaces.

Holds and generates suds
    I noticed that on the way from the bucket to the panel, the ShMitt never dropped any water or suds. When I went to wash, their they were! Tons of lubricating suds formed. No wasted soap water and no mess. This was a mjor problem with a normal mitt.

Sheds grit easily -
    grit doesn’t work into the pad, so it’s much less
    likely to scratch paint
    I think of foam as a pourous material that would hold dirt. Not with these foams. Using the two bucket technique, the ShMitt cleaned up with a gentle brush from my free hand. I used to have to ring out my old mitts taking up time and energy.

Foam resists deterioration so texture stays consistet
    As you all know, a normal mitts structure does change after every use. The fibers become rougher and they actually change due to use and chemical. This changes a first soft wash mitt into and rougher and rougher pad. Not with the ShMitt. The foam never changes. I know this from using the same white finishing pad with my PC for over 5 months now.

Won’t rot or mildew
    It took days sometimes for my old mitts to dry. This would cause an awfull smell and sometimes mold even formed. Remember I do this all day long five days a week. The EDGE ShMitt rings out almost dry and would be totally dry in about 15 minutes in the sun.

EASIER

Fits like a glove, not a bag
    It really does. Fits snuggly around my wrist giving it a locked-in sensation. The weight is even and is very light.

Soft poly foam is comfortable next to your skin
    EDGE's white foam is one of the softest materials I know of. I noticed it was bery gentle on my skin....even when full of water.

Ergonomic design reduces carpal tunnel stress
    I noticed this immediately. My shoulders and arms usually become tired when using a water filled sheepskin mitt because I'm actually having to hold onto the mitt from the inside while washing. Not with the ShMitt. Being so snugg allows me to was with no stress on my arms. I sometimes do 5-6 cars and SUV's in a day. This adds up. I felt totally different when using the ShMitt. Rested almost. This was the major impact on me while reviewing it.

Conclusion...
    This is a very innovative product. It will take time to convert but when you decide to, you'll be very happy. I was spending 20+ dollars per month in replacing old, dirt filled wash mitts. Not with the Shmitt. One month later, and other than a few nicks, it's like new. No sticks or trash that can't be removed because I never dropped it once! If I did, there are no fibers to intangle the garbage and turn the mitt into a sanding pad. At a retail price of 12.99, it's a deal. Saved me 8.00 in just the first month as well as saving me time and stress I had with an average wash mitt.

As a professional that details 35-40 hours per week, I fully endorse EDGE's new ShMitt. Get one and try it. It's made with the best prodcts from one of the best companies in the business. You have nothing to loose and alot to save.

Pictures...
    Fitts very snug as you can see....
    [​IMG]

Obviously there are nicks, but nothing left on the vehicle.
    [​IMG]

The yellow cutting side has no damage and holds no dirt.
    [​IMG]

After 60+ vehicles, still works and act like a new pad even with light nicking. It's properties are still the same without any added debris.
    Would I wash this 30,000 dollar Camaro with it if it was?
    NO!
    [​IMG]

2. Run N. Gun

Run N. Gun Active Member

Great review Justin. I hate the two that I have now and would love something better. Have a link to the product handy (no pun intended)?

3. Willey2cool

Willey2cool New Member

yeah whered you get it from? i couldnt find it on any of the normal car supplies websites. Looks cool

4. Scottwax

Scottwax Making detailing great again! Moderator

Pretty nice pad but it won't work well with Optimum No Rinse. Washing conventionally, I bet it works as well as you say it does.

5. Run N. Gun

Run N. Gun Active Member

Please explain Scott, I'm obviously missing "it". I use ONR too.

6. n2_space

n2_space Space > *.*

To me it seems like it would cause more micromarring with no knap :dunno: Nice review, but I think I will stick to sheepskin all the same :)

7. Scottwax

I find that chenille covered foam pads work best. Very soft, deep nap and I find it easier to wring out excess ONR mix when I am not wearing on my hand what I am washing with.

8. justin30513

justin30513 New Member

I'm wondering how the ShMitt would do with ONR. I'll try it out and let you all know.

BTW Scott, what's the deal with the guys at Autopia? They think they know it all. They might clean 1 car a week and try to tell me that something I use all day long does not work. Man, I know I should keep my mouth shut there but I get pissed when I know something works!

Ok.......I vented.

9. Run N. Gun

Run N. Gun Active Member

I know that you didn't address me with that comment Justin, but I'll throw my $0.02 in here. I only lurk at Autopia, but have observed the same thing. My personal thought is that several people there are obviously "aligned" with specific products or lines, based on how strong their opinion is expressed. I have wondered several times if they are financially tied to the success or failure of a product. Nothing personal against anyone or that forum...just an observation I've made. I could be completely wrong.

Keep doing what you're doing Justin, Scott and the rest of you. If it works well for you, then keep doing it. Be yourself. Let people feel the full impact of who you are and let them deal with it. :bigthumb:

10. Buck-O

Buck-O Guest

Im not going to get to into it, becuase i dont intend to step on your toes.

But i have to ask...does Edge hand you a fucking press kit before you review any of their products?

Seriously, there are bits of what you wrote that doesnt sound anything like an honest, unbiased review.

11. justin30513

justin30513 New Member

I took what they say it would do from their site and then responded to it. They tested this thing for 6 months before releasing it. It works exactly like it says. It is a totally unbiased review. They did give the pad for free but that was to test. I get nothing else. It actually works and I'm excited about it.

12. Scottwax

You don't use Zaino so you are the enemy. Seriously. So many closeted Zaino-Nazis over there totally intolerant of other products. They try to act like they aren't but if you really read their posts, you will see I am right.

You would not believe the crap I went through over there initially because I was using mostly Meguiars products and not the almighty Zaino and to a lesser extent, Klasse.

13. Pats300zx

Pats300zx New Member

I honestly don't think that Autopia is a Zaino based forum. Sure there are plenty of forum members that love that product line but on the same token I see tons of posts about Duragloss, Clearkote, and JW.

I guess it depends on where you go. DC is heavily Poorboys based and Detailers Club is a heavy Zaino forum.

For me its all about the process and not the product. If you do your job right you can take a cleaner wax and make your car look good.

Just remember this is the internet. If you get your panties in a wad over someones posts then you really need to learn to step back and take it with a grain of salt. :rolleyes:

14. Scottwax

:rofl: @ Detailer's Club, mostly made up of the Zaino-Nazis who left Autopia in a huff. I know I'd never be welcome there but with the people running that board, I wouldn't bother anyway.

Back to Autopia, you have to admit, Pat, there are some very hard-core Zaino people over there and they don't cut anyone any slack if they use other products. It isn't nearly as bad as it used to be when so many of them were mods, like ShowroomLincoln, BW and others, along with long time members like Bretfraz.

Autopia is a lot better in that regard than it used to be, definitely. You just have to read between the lines on some member's posts when they are knocking some products. What bothers me is some of them are so unaccepting of other products it gets irritating. Someone will ask about a certain product and invariably, someone will jump in about how Zaino would be so much better in that situation. You are correct in that overall it isn't that many people but they sure are vocal.

Don't even get me started on the layering fetish and Dawn wash crap.... ;)

Overall though, no other detailing forum can touch Autopia in the amount of information and the diversity of products. Hell, I couldn't chose a favorite product if I tried. Meguiars, Optimum, Clearkote, Poorboy's, Menzerna, 1Z, Werkstatt, Klasse, Turtle Wax, Armor All, Detailer's Pride...they all have their place.

Last edited: Sep 24, 2006
  15. 91RS

91RS If this flag offends you... you need a history les

That's pretty cool. I might have to look into one of those, mine is just a "regular" one and traps dirt way to easily.

Post more pics of that Camaro!

16. justin30513

justin30513 New Member

I agree with you totally Scott.
    It's not the product but the skilled person applying it.
    I can take OTC products and make a ride look good. As you can too and have.

17. Buck-O

Buck-O Guest

Sorry, i just see the use of copyright circle C's, and talk of carple tunnel, and how great their wave foam is (that has been around as low height egg crate long before they added their brand name to it), and i have to question the integrity of whats being said.

Becuase at that point, its not a product review, but an informercial for a product.

Obviously your a good detailer, and i enjoy reading your processes on how you detail a car, its very indepth and profesional.

But your last few product reviews have been way beyond the point of cheesy, to where i dont even read the reviews anymore, becuase i cant get passed the first paragraph of "THIS IS THE GREATEST PRODUCTS EVER! EVERYTHING YOU'VE EVER HEARD ABOUT IT IS TRUE!!!!!!!!!!©®" And truth be told, i laughed through most of this one...ill be sure to buy one of these mits for my carpel tunnel, becuase it will help counteract all the jacking off i do. :jerkit:

Your a good detailer Justin...dont turn into a puppet.

18. justin30513

justin30513 New Member

Buck-O....
    The copyright logos came from cutting and pasting from the products actual site. Everything in red is from their site. I was using what they claim and then comparing what I experienced. I was just excited about a product that actually did what it said. If it was to be cheesy I would review everything I got for free and I do get alot.
    Sorry you saw it this way. Maybe you and others should take some time to do a review the right way every once and awhile since Im doing it wrong.

19. Buck-O

Buck-O Guest

Unfortunately, i havent been doing alot of details this season. So i havent gotten alot of free product, and what i have gotten has been more of a resupply then a free trial. But if i did have some test product, or a pre-release, you can bet i would give it a solid reviewing. All of my own wording straying as far from marketing jargon, and buzz words as possible. Unless there is simply no other description to give it.

Im not saying that your reviews are cheesy, im saying the content of them is. Because it sounds more like an informercial full of marketing speak, then an honest straight forward review of what the prdocut can and cant do.

But instead of being subversive, ill just go through one by one.

This has never been a problem of mine. I use a microfiber covered spnge and rag. And even way back in the day when i used a wool mit, it wasnt much of an issue, becuase i intentionally stayed away from areas where a snag could potentially happen. And if its shedding...well the mit was in the trash long before then.

What exactly is "the EDGE" (why all caps?) technology? Did they cut the side of the pad at a chamfered edge to create a sharp angle to get into tight crevas's? Or what? Again, becuase i use a MF sponge, and a MF rag to do my washing, getting into tight areas is not a problem for me with my current setup. However, a better description of what exactly all this is, and how its a benefit, would be nice.

This is a definately pluss of this mitt. I dig it. But, water follows gravity. Even in a sponge like that, a tight celled finishing styrofoam, the water will collect at the bottom end, though not as fast, and likely becuse of the snuggness of the mitt, any actuall collection of water weight would be spread out on such a large surface area, that it would be less then noticible. But would still make it less likely to fall off. Cant go wrong there.

Its a finishing pad with a releaf cut into it. And a secondary polishing pad glued onto the back of it to make a "glove". Specifically engineered...not likely. But given its finishing foam quality, it would be more gentle then most cleaning sponges on the market. But to say its extra special foam is nothing but marketing jargon. And AFAIK, maring and swirling happens whenever you wash reguardless of what you do to prevent it. Its jsut the nature of things. Causing it at a much slower or less noticable rate, is a bit more like it.

Low height egg crate foam. Been around for years. Enough said.

Its a sponge. And the tighter the cells in the sponge, the softer, and greater amount of foam it will generate. I dont think this is anything special to their "specificly engineered" foam.

To me thats a double edged sword. You want a good wash mit to lift and trap the dirt holding it away from the paints surface. You also dont want a device that holds it on the surface, and could potentially cause maring or some sort, or even a heavy scratch in less then ideal conditions. Perhaps their certified renamed egg crate foam causes small pockets of water to hold dirt in them in suspension. Either way the fact that it is a flat, tightly packed cell foam is a bit of a scare to me in terms of ability to prevent maring on the paint with heavy deposits of dirt.

Given that fact that this specifically engineered coppytighted rename of egg crate foam is designed to work on a buffer with high heat, and high pressure, i would hope that the mit would hold up to a fair amount of abuse from a hand, soap, and water.

Give me one week in the bottom of a damp bucket in the trunk of my car with a shamis over the top of it, baking in a little bucket sauna, and i can guarentee i will have that thing crawling in mold and mildew. Faster drying then a conventional mitt...sure. Rot and mildew proof...not really.

This is a good point. I like that it fits snuggly, and is weighted evenly. But this just refers back to the virtually drop proof statment above. WHy say it twice in two differnt ways? Becuase its a marketing sheet, and the more ways you can say the same thing, the greater people think it is. Again, thats not your fault. But when you copy and paste from their site, it will happen.

Again, tightly packed finishing foam, it had damn well be soft. And granted its better then the inside of a cheapo woll mitt. But is it really so important it needs its own bullett?

I dont even think i need to comment on this one. First of all its a foam pad with some glue to make a mitt. Its NOT ergonomicly designed. I seriously doubt they went to an occupational therapist to have their mitt evaluated to be ergonimicly correct. And reduces carpel tunnel stress?! WTF?! Seriously, if you have Carpel Tunnel, or even the signs of it...you probibly shouldent be detailing. And its unlikely that useing this mit to wash a car (a repetative motion), will help reduce your chance of getting repetitive motion tendenitis, or help you feel less stressed as a result.
    This statement in its entirity is nothing but complete bullshit. Total hogwash marketing jargon that holds no merit...note i didnt say water...or sudds...or your hand, it holds those fine.

The price seems reasonable, and the product seems to do what you would expect it to do. Especially once you get through all of the marketing bullshit.

If you want to copy and paste from their stie, great, but dont follow it like its the letter of the law, and you have to comment on all the reasons why THEY think its good.

Tell us why YOU think its good, in your own words, and in your own bullett points. Tell us whats great about it, and what you would like to see improved. Because there is ALWAYS room for improvment, and no such thing as a perfect product. Especially in this business.

Im not trying to be hard on you bud. Im just trying to point out that when you review somthing, you have to be careful not to get sucked into the products hype machine, and start spouting off random bullshit that doesnt have anything to do when what the average consumer and user of the product would be interested in.

I did computer hardware reviews for several differnt websites over the years. And that was one of the biggest things i had to learn to disconnect myself from. And it showed, becuase the articles i wrote went far more in depth with teh product then anyone elses, and also showed more of the product for what it wasnt, rather then what their marketing tried to make it seem it was.

Just be yourself with your reviews. You did that in the begining, so i know you can do it again.

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 26, 2006
  20. Scottwax

Always works best.

No one is picking on you, Justin, we all admire your detailing skill. Just be yourself in your reviews, like Buck says. :)

21. justin30513

justin30513 New Member

I understand you all are just trying to help. I do see your points now. Thanks guys....this is why I like it here and get so frustrated with Autopia.
    Once again, thanks.

22. Pats300zx

Pats300zx New Member

Nothing to get frustrated about over at Autopia. If you keep your reviews honest and to the facts you won't have any problems at all. I am among one of the many over there that enjoy seeing your work etc. :)

23. Run N. Gun

Run N. Gun Active Member

High-fives to everyone here. This is a good constructive conversation and presented in an encouraging manner. We all learn from each other and I appreciate all the time ya'll have invested here!

Justin - I'm just an outsider looking in and it is obvious that these guys think alot of you, respect your attention to detail and appreciate what you share with everyone. THANK YOU!

24. Scottwax

The zealots are more of a minor irritation and some times a source of entertainment more than anything else.

Usually when you take heat from people on autopia, there are two reasons:

1. They can't detail at your level so they try to pick your work apart
    2. You don't use their favorite product

The other 98% are just fine and you can learn a lot from autopia.

25. KMAzz

KMAzz OT Supporter

Also have to remember 90% of autopia are weekend warriors and do not own a detailing buisness or just started one not knowing jack about it.