MMA Review of Ringside 14oz GelShock Sparring Gloves W/ Pics

Discussion in 'OT Bar' started by Sylva, Jun 20, 2007.

1. Sylva

Sylva New Member

I was looking for gloves in the ringside catalog and ran across a pair of black leather gloves with grey palms and thumbs. The description list was

“Gel Shock Safety Training Gloves break away from the traditional foam padding and utilize the latest shock dispersing gel technologies. By adding the Gel Shock system to our Safety Training Gloves we've created the premier Training Glove. Durable leather construction with a suede thumb and palm gusset. Convenient wrap-around Hook & Loop closure.
    Gel Shock Safety Training Gloves Style: GELRP Sale Price: $69.99 $59.99

I liked the look of the suede and black and was curious about the gel shock system. And I decided what the heck, I’ve heard of gel inserts for shoes why not gloves. I figured I could be gelling like Magellan soon. I’m a sucker for a slick marketing campain.

I examend the gloves and liked the look of the suede palm and thumb. However I noticed that the leather was pliable and very soft and rich to the touch.

I did notice some minor differences between these gloves and others I have owned. First was the wrist strap. In every other ringside brand sparring glove the strap around the wrist is stretchy elastic material, these had a 3” nylon strap. The Velcro was incredibly sticky. The hook side felt like tiny fishhooks and it held like it too. The elastic cover that flips down over the strap was also different, this time a stronger material with less stretch. An improvement. This feature has always been a favorite of mine, I hate stopping my work out to refasten my gloves, and I hate the little tiny rash that open Velcro leaves on your arms and face. The roll down cover fixes both these problems.

The lining they used in the Gel Shocks appears to be much thicker than their previous lining. It has a great feel and I think that may be my favorite part of these gloves so far. Like I said before these gloves are tight and that includes the cuff area. However this is not a bad thing it feels pretty supportive. Now I’ll stop writing on this novel of a review of looks and feel.

I love sparring with these gloves, the padding and weight seems very evenly distributed throughout the glove and they don't seem to get heavy on my hands no matter how long I go for. I did some heavy bag work on Tues and Thurs of last week and sparred on Wed, Fri, Sat. The gloves felt great. The more I wear them the more I like them. Wrist support is great.

The first thing I noticed is that this glove is thick over the knuckles and although they were soft they were stiff as well. I will explain. A good sparring glove to me has to have a certain feel. They have to be solid enough for me to feel like I'm making solid contact but must give enough so I'm not blacking eyes and leaving bruises. These gloves had that sorta feel to them. I love them and would recommend them to anyone. They are not a Thai style glove but I like them much better than any of the windy or twins gloves I've had. Those gloves where uncomfy and felt cheap compared to these although they cost more.

Also, the suede thumb and palm/forearm area works GREAT for wiping sweat out of your eyes and face.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. Optamix

Optamix New Member

oooo

I want some. Those look nice.

Thanks for the review.

3. TQ

TQ OT Supporter

Goddamn clean your house :)

4. DSPNLM

DSPNLM New Member

I really like ringside gloves. I've had a pair for 4 years and they've held up really well.

5. HouseLing

HouseLing When masturbations lost its fun you'r fucking lazy

interesting, i sort of want to try them now :hs:

6. Titus

Titus New Member

damn i might have to pick those up. i need some new gloves

7. checkii

checkii ฝรั่งตาน้ำข้าว

:mamoru:

i was just gonna post that