Review of Angeles Crest

Discussion in 'OT Driven' started by ChatChai, Jun 28, 2006.

1. ChatChai

ChatChai OT Supporter

For those of you that don't know where this is here:

[​IMG]

This road apparently runs 29 miles to NewCombs Ranch. Many motorcyle riders of all varieties ride here quite often. In fact weekends are insane and have said to be about over a 100 bikes. This weekend I'm sure will be even be more crazy.

This is my first time on the highway yesterday so expectations were high. Of course again I writing as a sport bike rider and not a cruiser otherwise a great road for cruising. Well I got up there yesterday and there were few bikes on the road. I guess the common thing to do is take the road until you hit Newcombs Ranch, which is a restaurant 29 miles in. At the restaurant there were about twenty or so bikes. The actual highway runs about 66 miles or so. I frequent Azusa Canyons down through Mt. Baldy often and I have heard so much hype about the legendary "Crest." All in all I was not very impressed. The first stretch up and the last stretch down is by the far the best area. Long sweeping turns and especially if its your first time you have to be careful for those decreasing radius turns. The other half was horrible though I was told you would get used to it. It is very bumby. Cracks that was slightly raised scattered the remainder of the road horizontally. This made for a slightly uncomfortable ride. In addition I was afraid to take the turns as agressively in fear of just skipping off the road.

Has anyone been on the remainder of the road after Newcombs Ranch? Is it the same shittiness thus the reason for nobody going? It goes all the way to Wrightwood which would be pretty cool since that would be closer to where I live. Well just thought I would throw up my review of the "Crest." Any suggestions for next time welcome.

2. Jerm

Jerm I

From what I've heard about ACH being so crowded, I litterally haven't really bothered to go check it out. I'll just enjoy my secluded mornings on GMR & GRR.

I still may try to check it out, especially since Stout is no longer patrolling ACH.

3. ChatChai

ChatChai OT Supporter

Stout...is that same officer everyone talks about? Yeah I was talking to some rider at Newcombs about his accident on Sunday and it sounded pretty bad. I went with two other riders and it was pretty wide open so it wasn't crowded at all. That is if you can get up there on a weekday.

4. Jerm

Jerm I

Yea, supposedly clipped a Jeep crossing the yellow, is said to recover though, just did a number to his legs. A lot of riders said it was karma catching up to him, if you've heard some of the stories that were said of Stout :hs:

It's a holiday weekend, so I'll be keeping my distance from ACH for sure :hs:

5. GCEX

GCEX Drifting Along

You can bypass the shitty section by taking Angeles Forest Highway to Upper Big Tujunga.

6. Jujharoo

Jujharoo New Member

Where in canada is it?

Im going to Toronto this weekend hopefuly

7. ChatChai

ChatChai OT Supporter

:wtf:

8. ChatChai

ChatChai OT Supporter

It was my first time up there so I'm not to familiar...directions?

9. GCEX

GCEX Drifting Along

On the way up the mountain you'll come to an intersection with what looks like a ranger station on the left. You went straight, but if you turn left you'll be on Angeles Forest Highway. After about 10 miles you'll come upon Upper Big Tujunga on the right side. If you pay attention to the roadsigns you won't get lost.

Upper Big Tujunga is often called "9 mile straight" on the bike boards. Literally, it's 9 miles of really nice pavement that can easily sustain triple digit speeds. If you find yourself alone there it's a fucking blast.

10. trez157

trez157 You can't trust freedom when it's not in your hand

its la canada, california, not Canada, ey

11. ChatChai

ChatChai OT Supporter

thanks..."9 mile straight" definately sounds like something I would be interested in.

12. V!

V! New Member

:love: the crest

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

13. ChatChai

ChatChai OT Supporter

i remember you posted this picture before....I remember the one where you are standing on your bike. I didn't get to take my digi cam but I will next time. I didn't know what to expect so I didn't know if I wanted to take pictures but I will next time. The ride is quite nice not as good as cutting through mt. baldy though.

14. rider

rider New Member

I love ACH. True, the road is a bit bumpy, but if you take AFH ~> Upper Big T ~> ACH to Nukes, it's so much cleaner and smoother. Lots of fun! The only problem is that there are so many CHP up there this summer to bring down the fatality rate up there since there's an accident EVERY SINGLE WEEKEND and fatal ones on at least every month. It sucks to go to slow and have to watch out for those dumb tickets for illegal turn signals or exhausts, but I love the fact that there are no houses up there, the road goes on forever, and especially the group that I go up there with makes all the difference in the world.

The other thing that kind of sucks about ACH is the turnouts EVERYWHERE. There are some right after blind left-handers or blind right-handers that you have to watch out for and idiot drivers (and riders too!) who don't know how to stay in their lane. On beautiful days, you have to get out there as early as possible so that you won't have to worry about the drivers as much.

ACH is closed a bit past Nukes until 2007 because of the rains from 2004 I think. It was so awesome back there too. So sad. The road was all new and paved and has some really fun turns, but oh well. Damn CalTrans. Grrr.

Azusa is okay, but on the weekend it has way too much traffic for me and it's so damn short! GMR is always dirty but that is a really fun road too. Malibu is so tight and fun on the weekdays, but the weekends it's filled with cars and kind of sucks.

Damn, I need to get my bike back into street trim... Hahaha.

15. ChatChai

ChatChai OT Supporter

So many good routes that I missed. I will have to make another trip up there soon. Anybody here down for a weekday ride or is everyone here a weekend rider? I have two other riders that are also interested.

16. Jerm

Jerm I

Just did a ride up there this past weekend, was impressed w/ Big T, really smooth and flowing, had a blast shooting through there and back. Saw lots of tar snakes elsewhere, but didn't seem to disrupt the ride.

Decided to do a run through GMR this past weekend also, only to find it closed at the East Fork Junction, assume they closed it at Baldy end also. Hopefully this was just a holiday weekend closure :hs:

17. rider

rider New Member

Sorry buddy. Still closed from the rains from 2 years ago. CalTrans MIGHT be opening it up in 2007. MIGHT.

18. Jerm

Jerm I

Yea, it's been closed at the split at GMR & GRR (Glendora Ridge Road), so you're able to do one section of GMR, then go down GRR towards Mt. Baldy (been going up there every Saturday morning to Mt. Baldy and back :hsd: ). This time around was a closure at GMR and East Fork, down by the river :eek3: I'll probably make another run down there this upcoming weekend, hoping the closure at East Fork was just a holiday weekend deal :hs:

19. ChatChai

ChatChai OT Supporter

I'm not very good at the street names I just go but that sounds like the road that I take when heading up there. I ride mostly on Monday or Tuesday though. Is it crowded at all on weekends?

20. Jerm

Jerm I

I go quite early in the morning, just 3 or 4 regulars at the most up there, really cool ppl. Will run into a lot of bicyclist, but other then that, empty. Once it gets past 10 am though, groups start rolling in :hs: